Suggestion: Landscape orientation for master password entry

SFF
SFF
Community Member
Title says it all! It would be very helpful to allow landscape orientation to type in the master password.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Sounds reasonable to me. I honestly don't think I ever thought about it.

I am sure one of the admins will add it to the list or requests, I would but I don't have access.

But as I said sounds reasonable to me.

Cheers.

Edit : I just played around with it a little using a different app and I think it could alleviate my problems of mistyping my Master Password. Well done suggestion.
  • SFF
    SFF
    Community Member
    thightower wrote:

I just played around with it a little using a different app and I think it could alleviate my problems of mistyping my Master Password. Well done suggestion.

Thanks--I'm sure I'm not the only one that can type both faster and more accurately in landscape--especially important when typing long complex things like the master password.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm pretty sure this came up once before.

I would never use it myself. I never use the landscape keyboard so I don't have any practice with it. I think my thumbs are still trained from pre-iPhone days of using a Treo keyboard. :lol: But if we see enough demand for it we'll need to rethink it. :)

Thanks for your vote, SFF! I'll pass your feedback along to the developers. :D

Cheers,
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    I know lots of people who routinely use the landscape keyboard with many iPhone apps because they find they make fewer mistakes with it. My master password is quite long so occasionally I make a mistake when I'm rushing. I'm sure this would help and avoid inadvertently encouraging people to shorten their master password because of portrait keyboard troubles.
  • juanjonol
    juanjonol
    Community Member
    edited January 2013

1Password for iPhone needs this. I have a long master password and is a torture to have to type it in portrait mode.

• Hi guys,

We appreciate the feedback. The fact that 1Password 4 requires the master password might make this suggestion more realistic to happen in the future but right now, there's no support simply because the entire app excluding the browser doesn't support the landscape mode, many apps for iPhone don't either. It's a bit awkward to work with such limited vertical space.

However, like @khad mentioned, we will consider it and find a way to make it possible for the entry only or it is likely we'll adopt landscape mode support as well. Anything's possible....

Thanks!

• tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member

I second this.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Vote added. Thanks, tatchley!

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

If you want more votes, add mine. I've done this many times: entered the MP and I could have sworn I entered it perfectly, but , nope. :) The portrait keyboard is really a problem for long strings. Thanks!

• JHep
    JHep
    Community Member

I'll add my vote. Master Password entry in landscape is already a feature of the iPad version. Having it built into a "universal" app seems appropriate.

• tatchley
    tatchley
    Community Member

With the larger keyboard, typing errors are less likely. Also, let me remind you about a previous suggestion where the master password is not deleted upon a wrong entry. Often times, I am only a character off and I could easily change it if the string was still there.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

As I mentioned above, my own typing errors dramatically increase if I use the landscape keyboard (since I never use it). But there are millions of users, and not all of them are me. :)

Thanks again for the feedback!

• whhhhat
    whhhhat
    Community Member

YEEESSSS...for the love of all that is holy in this world. I absolutely CANNOT use the new app...I have to use 1Password Pro for my iPhone because I can NEVER get my insanely long master password right without the comfort of landscape. I fat finger it every time. Even now, since the new 1Password 4 for my Mac does not wifi sync, I manually enter in my passwords into 1Password Pro due to lack of dropbox support on the older versions.

My friend, its ridiculous. LANDSCAPE. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean the majority of people out there don't. We do. And I'm one prime example as a lurker of various forums and waiting patiently for an update that would do this. And yet...no. Almost a year. No landscape. It can't be that hard for a company that has put together such a great concept!

It's just one more ignored vote, but I vote here nevertheless.

• dfsutherland
    dfsutherland
    Community Member

I too want to be able to type in landscape mode -- it's faster and more accurate for me. More generally, I find that I hate Hate HATE apps that force me to type in portrait mode only!

As always, YMMV. But I suspect that enough other users agree to make this a worthy option.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @whhhhat and @dfsutherland,

I also have the occasional fat-finger error and it's no fun. Thanks for adding your votes here. Believe me, they are not being ignored! Our developers are aware of this request - and I've reminded them just now, as a matter of fact. :) I can't make any promises on unreleased features, but your voices are being heard.

• joshlawless
    joshlawless
    Community Member

Count my vote too

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joshlawless,

You have been counted. :)

• doober831
    doober831
    Community Member

Yes please! I'll add another request for this feature on the iPhone.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @doober831,

Thanks so much for the feedback, I'll be sure to pass this along.

• ohumbel
    ohumbel
    Community Member

Hi,

just joined the beta for iOS, and this feature would save me a lot of time.
    Looking forward to it.

Oti.

• doober831
    doober831
    Community Member

Any update on this? Typing in long pass phrases would be significantly easier with landscape's larger keyboard. The iPad app has the option and it's wonderful! I understand that using the app in landscape mode, once unlocked, may not be all that ideal but having the option for the unlock screen alone would be great. Please make this happen! This is pretty much my only complaint with the product.

• TARDIS42
    TARDIS42
    Community Member

Another vote for this feature... I am addicted to it on the iPad version, and it's so aggravating (with my large hands) to try and type a long phrase in portrait mode... :(

• bubbaralph
    bubbaralph
    Community Member

Ditto! With TouchID support for 1Password on iOS 8 the only thing preventing me from switching to a much longer passphrase is how uncomfortable it is for me to type a long string in portrait mode (I have RSI-type symptoms and the increased finger-bending is much worse for me, I try to do everything in landscape)

This discussion has been closed.