iCloud Sync [Resolved]

Options
bothfly
bothfly
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

I downloaded a free version of 1P today from the website only to find that I need to have the Mac App Store version to get iCloud syncing working. So do I need to uninstall 1P and then download the other version or just pay and download it?
Thanks

Comments

• artiss
    artiss
    Community Member
    Options

From what I understand they are two completely different versions. I'd uninstall the web download version and buy the Mac App store version. Make a backup of the password file

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This knowledge base article will help you to follow the correct procedure when switching from the AgileBits store version to the Mac App Store version.

(I'm assuming you're using 1P5 so have linked to the 1P5 article but the basic procedure is the same for either 1P4 or 1P5.)

Stephen

• bothfly
    bothfly
    Community Member
    Options

Another issue I just found out is that with iCloud syncing, I cannot sync my 1Passwords with my Wifes since she has a different iCloud account.
    I guess I'm going back to LastPass, much easier to deal with and sync.

• Hi @bothfly,

You're right, iCloud sync is limited to syncing within a single account. I personally like Dropbox sync for syncing with different people, and it has the added benefit that it makes the keychain available to me even when I'm not at a computer that has 1Password installed (via 1PasswordAnywhere).

Rick

• bothfly
    bothfly
    Community Member
    Options

I just don't see how 1Password is better than LastPass. With LastPass all you do is setup a free account on your computers, doesn't matter who's computer, just sign in with the same User Name and password and all your stored passwords are there. Then do the same on your IOS devices and its done. None of this crazy syncing with iCloud, Dropbox ect. I thought 1P was better, but I'm having second thoughts as to why I thought that.
    Anyone know how to completely uninstall 1Password??

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I've never used LastPass, but I have heard that it is good.

One difference is that with 1Password your passwords need never leave your control. If you only have one machine, then they stay on that machine. If you have several machines then there are local ways of syncing, as well as using Dropbox or iCloud.

But with LastPass your passwords are on their servers, I believe, which can be less secure and also run the risk that their servers are down.

Your choice which you prefer.

• bothfly
    bothfly
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply.
    I agree with you, danco, I would prefer to use 1Password, but I have 3 iMacs, 3 iPads and 2 iPhones, myself and my wifes.
    Keeping all of them in sync with 1 Password and the family license seems not friendly vs downloading LastPass on all the machines, signing in with one username and password and installing a $12 app on the IOS devices to sync it all via their servers. LastPass is not as clean looking and slick, but I guess its a better choice for me right now.
    Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bothfly,

I'm so sorry to hear that 1Password isn't quite what you're looking for right now. What @danco mentioned above about having control of your data in 1Password is a feature that a lot of users find very important: you choose where your data is stored - it doesn't have to leave the safety of your hard drive if you don't want it to, and there's no large database of user data sitting on our servers, tempting hackers. We'd be happy to walk you through the process of keeping everything synced up with Dropbox, which is a flexible solution and can keep multiple vaults synced automatically across multiple Dropbox accounts.

That being said, if you do want to uninstall 1Password, at this time we would suggest simply using ⌘⌃Q ( Command-Control-Q ) to quit both 1Password and the 1Password mini, and then drag the application from the Applications folder to the Trash. (This will leave your datafile and backups intact in case you change your mind.) You can remove the browser extensions from the Preferences > Browsers menu in your favourite browser.

Please do let us know if you have any further questions, we're here to help.

• bothfly
    bothfly
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,
    Sure I'm here because I want 1Password to work for me.
    So I have 1P installed on my iMac as well as DropBox. So I changed the Syncing to be with Dropbox, all straight forward.
    Of course I also have the App on my iPhone and iPad.
    Now, what are the steps to get my Wife's iMac, iPhone and iPad all synced with my 1Password data, which we normally share?
    I was on her Mac and the App Store, but did not see an option to download 1Password as a Family upgrade, only the stand alone price.
    Also does she need her own DropBox account, or can I put DropBox on her Mac with my login info to sync.
    Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bothfly‌

If you've purchased 1Password 5 for Mac via the Mac App Store then the purchase is tied to your Apple ID. That leaves you two possibilities for running your purchase of 1Password 5 from your wife's machine. If both machines were to be using the same iCloud/Apple account then the purchase would show up as effectively you're saying this is a second machine to you. Of course that means anything your wife has purchased on her account wouldn't be accessible. The other option is if you connect your two Apple accounts together using what Apple call Family Sharing and any purchases you've made are then available to the others linked to your account. It isn't perfect, all future purchases have to be authorised by you but it's one way. A quick note, if you do this to see a particular purchase you need to select the appropriate family member first, it isn't one global view. Technically there's a third, your wife could also purchase 1Password for Mac via the Mac App Store but I'd hope the first two options show that isn't a requirement.

Now for syncing. If you plan on one single vault, both of you see everything and neither of you has any reason to have their own individual account for Dropbox then yes, you could sync your primary vault with your Dropbox account and then access it from all the machines and devices.

You don't have to though. A slightly more complex set up would be where you each have your own account with Dropbox and you sync your individual primary vaults to your own spaces. Those you share with each of your own devices. The sharing part comes in that you set up a secondary vault where you place all the data you want to share between you. You then sync that vault, also to Dropbox but specifically into its own folder. You then share that folder with your wife and at that point you both have complete read/write access to a single vault. She then adds the secondary vault to her machines. That way you have a degree of separation whilst still maintaining the ability to share. Both have their merits, it's about what works for you.

Here's a link to the guide about sharing a secondary vault between two Dropbox accounts. If for any reason you each need a Dropbox account this is the route you'll want to go down now. The reason is Dropbox will only allow you to have a single Dropbox account attached to a user account. So you can't have two Dropbox filespaces attached to say your wife's machine.

If I've skimped at all on any part of the description please let me know and I will expand where needed :smile:

• bothfly
    bothfly
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I'm up and running.
    Thanks for your help!!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bothfly‌

I'm so glad to hear that @littlebobbytables‌ was able to help you get sorted out!

Since this issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.