Help needed in several categories:

I have Dropbox (version 2.10.41) on my Mac. I have a Dropbox app on my iPhone 5. I do not know how up-to-date these Dropbox applications are or if they are versions that work together.

I also have 1Password (version 3.8.22) on my Mac. And a 1Password app on my iPhone. Likewise, I have lost track of the iPhone version and cannot tell if it is still working with my Mac version.

My Mac Pro is a 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core intel Xeon with 11GB of RAM running OS X 10.6.8,

I used to sync the Mac and the iPhone through Dropbox. A friend set this up for me originally a few years ago and I have to admit I do not understand how it all works but am quite thrilled that it does. 1Password has taken the anxiety out of my universe of passwords. I am a composer and not really very tech-savvy.

A few months ago my iPhone and my Mac Pro stopped syncing and I cannot figure out why. 1Password still works on my Mac. And the 1Password app works on my iPhone 5. But additions or changes, which I usually create on my Mac and then get them to my iPhone when I sync, are no longer syncing.

I am happy to upgrade to whatever new versions I need.

In addition, shortly, before the end of the year, I will be upgrading my entire workstation to a new Mac Pro. So I need to know if anything I am working with right now, meaning Dropbox and 1Password, will work with the latest Mac Pro (with Thunderbolt, etc).

Is there anyone who can advise me? And does Agile Bits have a support department I can talk to? I remember once, a good while ago, they did.

Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @turtlethom‌

You've come to the right place if you're looking for support, we'd be happy to help you right here. Now, I will need a bit more detail about your set-up in order to advise you here, in particular the version number of 1Password currently running on your iOS device. To find out which versions of 1Password for iOS you have, let me know which icon you see on your home screen from the following image: A, B, C or D?

• geiswood
    geiswood
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

1Password 3 for iOS no longer syncs with DropBox, due to some change by DropBox. AgileBits made a blog post of this in the 2013 and I think they may have sent email around too. Ah, I have a bookmark for it, since this is my situation too.

https://blog.agilebits.com/2013/08/08/1password-3-dropbox-sync-faq/

Perhaps that AgileBits blog post should be the first sticky post in the iOS 1Password3 Forum as it would help everyone solve their own vr.3 DropBox syncing problems? And staff would recall that a change by DropBox is why one cannot sync to DropBox with iOS vr. 3 - nothing can be done about that by AgileBits. And it explains what does work, and how to sync via wi-fi.

1Password desktop can sync w/DropBox so you could do that sync and then you sync your iOS device to your desktop. You may need to plug your device into your desktop to do this. You may need to set things up in the Settings or SYNC section of both devices.

• On iOS device w/1Password3 turn OFF DropBox syncing, in settings/sync. DropBox sync no longer works with 1Password 3.
    • On the desktop, make sure syncing to Dropbox is on and let it sync to Dropbox.
    • Plug phone into desktop and open Sync section on both desktop & phone.
    • Press Sync on the phone. It may give you codes to use in a window that might appear on the Desktop, not phone. If you are connected via direct cable you probably will not need to use these.
    • Press the sync on the desktop.
    • Look for any indication of success on desktop: perhaps it now says "synced X seconds ago", that sort of thing.
    • Go and check inside your files on Phone & desktop for indication of changes/updates.

You could edit or create & save a note or password entry in 1Password on the desktop or phone before doing this. That way you have a way to check for success: did my new entry make it to the phone or desktop?

You may have to do this a few times. The desktop is sending your phone stuff to Dropbox for you and who know what else interferes.
    And you may get duplicates and will have to go through the process of deciding which one to keep: phone version or desktop version.

Clunky but it works.

• geiswood
    geiswood
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

And if you have other desktops, DropBox can act as the connector there too. So #1 desk sends data up, #2 desk gets data down, and all iOS devices running vr.3 could then be synced through a desktop.
    I do not know which 1Password versions can sync with which other versions. We are still using vr.3 everywhere here.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @geiswood,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your solution here!

If indeed @turtlethom‌ is using 1Password 3 for iOS on their iOS device, then Wi-Fi Sync is a great way to keep everything synced up. :)

This discussion has been closed.