iCloud Drive Not Available [Possibly resolved with iOS 8.1.1]

thayneq
thayneq
Community Member
edited November 2014 in iOS

I have been having syncing problems with my Mac (10.10), iPhone (8.1), and iPad (8.1). All running latest 1password versions.

I decided to uninstall 1password from my iPhone and iPad, and reinstall. After installing I selected that I have an existing vault. I chose iCloud. Now I see a dialog box that says "iCloud Drive Not Available."

I double checked my iCloud drive settings on my iPhone and iPad and everything appears to be normal. iCloud drive does work as I'm able to use other apps just fine. For good measure I tried disabling and re-enabling the 1password toggle switch in iCloud drive and still no luck.

I guess this explains why syncing has been unreliable, but how do I get it working again?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Where did you purchase you Mac application? If you got it from the AgileBits web store, it no longer syncs with though iCloud. To continue to use iCloud, you'll need the Mac App Store version.

Just checking to be sure. The support folks are going to need to know this before they will be able to help you figure this out.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @thayneq‌,

For iCloud sync to work in 1Password 5, iCloud Drive does need to be enabled on all devices. If that is the case and you're still having difficulties, please let us know the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for all computers and devices currently running 1Password.

• LKAndrew
    LKAndrew
    Community Member

Hello all,

I have 3 macs and 1 iPhone all with Yosemite and iOS 8. My macs are all App Store 1Password installs, and my iOS device has the newest version. My macs are syncing with iCloud drive properly, but when I try to sync on my iPhone it tells me that iCloud Drive is Not Available.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• jEnN
    jEnN
    Community Member

Hi,
    I had a similar issue, and was recommended to try this out by one of the 1password guys. Granted, it was not completely dependable, and now "they" are reviewing my diagnostics email. I can't say it will resolve all your problems, but it's another place to start.

Also, here is a kb:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/icloud-sync-checklist-cloudkit

"Is there any data on your phone that exists only on your phone (i.e. it is not present on your Mac)? If not, I'd recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the iOS app.

If there is data on your phone that needs to be saved, please make a backup first:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/itunes-backups
    Once you've reinstalled you can restore your data & try setting up syncing again."

• LKAndrew
    LKAndrew
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

I will try the checklist tonight when I get home from work, but I have already attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the app. My issue still happens. I will update this post tonight.

Thank you!

• Hi ..

See you cloud sync is the most worst sync at all, Ill tell you a long story, I have you App on my Mac OS X 10.10 and your App recent updates, chosen to sync with iCloud, when opening my App on iOS 8.1 and choosing iCloud sync it tells me no Vault or data on iCloud !!!!!! anyway I chosen
    to sync with Wifi, selected Wifi as well on my Mac, made sync, then un checked Wifi on Mac, then went back to iOS app and changed sync to iCloud instead of Wifi, it tells me iCloud Drive not Available, the fact is its available and all my Apps use it on Mac and iOS ? so how this can be solved and how can I depend on this App with my secure data ? just trying to solve the problem to save money I spent not to depend on this App.

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member

I'm not the OP, but I'd like to confirm that here the same issue has been going on for days, too.

I'm now using V5.0 on the Mac (MAS version) and V5.1.1 on both iPhone and iPad with iOS 8.1.
    iCloud Drive is enabled on each device, and I've followed your troubleshooting guides, but nothing changes.

Last time, to make it work again, I've had to completely wipe out the data from iCloud and delete/reinstall the iOS apps, start syncing with 1Password on the Mac, and then join the existing vault with the two devices. Now, after five days, I've seen that it has not synced any longer after that initial success, and I get the same "iCloud Drive Not Available." I was getting then.
    I don't get any error on the Mac, though.

I have yet to try the workaround again, but it's clear that it won't last - is there something corrupting the data on the iCloud Drive ?

At the moment, my only option is Wi-Fi sync, which works...

Let me know if I have to create a separate discussion.

Thanks,
    André

• LKAndrew
    LKAndrew
    Community Member

Hello again,

Uninstalling the app and reinstalling it has not helped. I have also attempted to un-sync all occurrences of 1Password from iCloud (deleting the iCloud data) and using Dropbox. Dropbox has worked, but I would prefer being able to use iCloud as it should be a valid option to use.

• Good morning folks, and thanks for writing in. I'm terribly sorry about the trouble you're having with iCloud syncing in 1Password. It would be really helpful if I could see some diagnostic reports to help us track down the cause here.

To send in a diagnostic report from within 1Password tap on Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Email Diagnostics. When you send in the report please CC me in on it: mrrooni@agilebits.com. Thanks!

@jEnN I looked for your diagnostic report, but I wasn't able to find it from the email address associated with your forums account. Can you send me a private message and tell me what email address you sent it from? Thanks!

• jEnN
    jEnN
    Community Member

Hi @MrRooni‌, actually @bwoodruff‌ has my diagnostic report.

• ref: GPZ-87623-942

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member

Hello,
    I've just sent the second diagnostic report.
    The first one, which I sent this morning, had just the 'Sync' log enabled.
    For this one, as you requested, I've also enabled the 'Cloud Keychain' and 'Replicator' logs.

Thanks,
    André

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@nrdng, I found the diagnostics reports you sent us, and someone should get back to you about that soon. Thanks! :)

ref: IAW-26236-611

• Thanks for the diagnostic reports, folks. One thing I'd like for you to try is to logging out of iCloud on your device and then logging back in. Let me know how that goes and if it helps resolve the problem.

• jEnN
    jEnN
    Community Member

HI, during my testing, this didn't work for resolving any sync issues. I had to completely wipe my data regarding 1password, uninstall app. Install and attempt to sync again. Even then, syncing continued to have issues (not syncing all the way). I had to continuously tap on sync to get more items to sync. Basically here is my post:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/154496#Comment_154496

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

@MrRooni, that's what I already did the first time I discovered the issue, nearly a week a go, but it wasn't enough.

A simple logout/login from iCloud (if we can define it 'simple'...) didn't solve it, nor did a simple reboot of the device.
    That's what I tried last time:

1. logout/login from iCloud on iOS - nothing changed
    2. reboot iOS - nothing changed

then:

1. delete the iOS app
    2. disable iCloud sync on the Mac (V5.0, MAS)
    3. delete the vault on iCloud from the Mac
    4. logout/login from iCloud on iOS
    5. reboot iOS
    6. reinstall app on iOS
    7. enable sync via iCloud on Mac
    8. after a while, launch app on iOS
    9. choose to sync via iCloud on the iOS app
    10. accept to merge with the existing vault

it all worked for a few days, BUT then stopped again, so this is not a permanent solution.

A few minutes ago, however, I've had to reboot the device to solve an iCloud issue with another app (once again, thanks to the sub-standard quality of iOS 8.1), and I've tried to sync 1Password once again, successfully.
    Does this mean that a simple reboot would be enough ? I don't think so, because I already did that, unsuccessfully, the first time. I've not logged out/in since my first try, nor I've deleted/reinstalled the app, so I have no idea of what's been happening under the hood. I've added/deleted some entries on the vault, however, from the Mac. Nothing else.

Now, I'm almost sure it will break again...

André

• jEnN
    jEnN
    Community Member

ugh...so annoying we go through this!!

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

@nrdng: thanks for detailed description on what you tried!
    Just going on a hunch here: Did you use the Webstore version on the Mac before and synced with iCloud? If yes, can you please check whether you have any old iCloud data for that version on your Mac? To do so please run this Terminal command which will list you the matching files:

find ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents -name \*2BUA8C4S2C\*agilebits\*

@jEnN could you check this as well please?

Thanks!

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member

@Winnie, As I've said right from the start, I'm using the MAS version, not the webstore version.
    I've also wiped out everything that was on iCloud on the first attempt.

• jEnN
    jEnN
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

@Winnie‌

/Users/<username>/Library/Mobile Documents/2BUA8C4S2C~2BUA8C4S2C~com~agilebits~onepassword-osx-helper

/Users/<username>/Library/Mobile Documents/2BUA8C4S2C~com~agilebits~onepassword

• Hi guys,

@nrdng,

A few minutes ago, however, I've had to reboot the device to solve an iCloud issue with another app (once again, thanks to the sub-standard quality of iOS 8.1), and I've tried to sync 1Password once again, successfully. Does this mean that a simple reboot would be enough ? I don't think so, because I already did that, unsuccessfully, the first time. I've not logged out/in since my first try, nor I've deleted/reinstalled the app, so I have no idea of what's been happening under the hood. I've added/deleted some entries on the vault, however, from the Mac. Nothing else.

If the iCloud sync service on the iOS device is hang or crashing, it would affect the sync in 1Password as well along with a few other apps that uses the same iCloud sync technology we use.

It looks as though Apple have a few fixes for iCloud in the latest 8.1.1 beta as a few folks have been reporting more stable iCloud sync there. So, there is some progress coming soon.

I've looked at your diagnostic report and we're seeing a lot of this:

Cannot determine CloudKit account status: (null)

It looks like 1Password cannot access Apple's CloudKit servers for some reasons. I'm investigating to see what else it could be. Unfortunately, one of teammates are saying that they see the same thing in other apps, so it might not be isolated to 1Password but an issue with iCloud itself.

@jEnN,

Are you still having issues with iCloud Sync even after a reboot? It looks like a few times you got rate-limited by Apple because you have a massive database. Apple's preventing you from syncing everything and you have to wait a few hours before you can pick up the rest of the database. In addition, after a while, it did finish a sync.

Where do you see the iCloud Drive not available error exactly?

• jEnN
    jEnN
    Community Member

My concern and problem was that I had to keep forcing a sync to complete. (now that there is a "rate-limit" by apple? what does that mean?)
    I don't have issues now, as I've done so much that I don't know what to say at this point. I had figured it was helpful to continue posting/participating as I was plagued by the same problem.

• MikeT
    edited November 2014

Hi @jEnN,

Cloud services tend to have a limit of how many items you sync per time unit, like you can only download 100 items per minute or 1000 per hour. In your case, because you have a large database, Apple is limiting 1Password from being able to download more items and it has to wait before continuing.

1Password will finish the sync but if you force the sync by tapping on Sync Now, Apple will simply make you wait longer. Don't force the sync if you have a large database, you do have to wait.

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member

@MikeT, yes, I've been experiencing issues caused by iCloud with a lot of other apps, not just with 1Password, but so far the only issue regarding actual data in iCloud afflicts just 1Password's vault. As a matter of fact, ever since yesterday's reboot 1Password has started syncing again, but other apps are still hanging on launch.

About 8.1.1, I too saw the conversations on twitter yesterday's evening, about what seemed a fix for the iCloud issue, but no-one was talking about 1Password, so it still has to be confirmed.
    As it seems, several developers reported issues starting with 8.1b2, so this clearly show that many of you knew, but did not enough to stop Apple from going gold or even alert their users base about what was coming out, and I'm quite disappointed about this - you don't stick to a deadline and then publish what you have, no matter its status, this is not serious beta testing at all.
    What's happening to our 1Password's vault certainly corncerns me more than other apps crashing on launch. The lack of troubleshooting guidelines is appalling, nobody can be asked to try all those many steps to just 'try' to see if it helps.

Allow me, when things get so serious, "it looks like"(s) should be entirely out of question.

Andreas

• jEnN
    jEnN
    Community Member

I wholeheartedly agree with @nrdng‌ on this. To give so many suggestions at "try rebooting, uninstalling, reinstalling, resync, disable sync, WIPE YOUR DATA etc." is a high flag to find out where/what will fix the issue. This is shoddy workmanship for the product ESPECIALLY when it comes to something that is so crucial to a consumers data. I can't afford to waste any more time on helping to troubleshoot. These scenarios should have been considered/mitigated before releasing.

I'm not interested in trying anything else, as I'm currently sick of "trying.."

• MikeT
    edited November 2014

Hi @nrdng,

I'm sorry you're frustrated by this. We're trying to figure out where the issue is and in your case, Apple's CloudKit server is returning an error that is saying it can't establish your account's status. If we can't connect to Apple's servers with your account, 1Password cannot sync.

Can you tell me a few things:

1. If you already did more than one reboot, how long does it usually take before it stop syncing?
    2. Do you have background app refresh enabled for 1Password? To find out, go to the iOS Settings app on your device, select General > Background App Refresh. You should see 1Password on the list and if 1Password shows that it is turned on, try turning it off for now. See if this makes it more stable over time.
    3. Do you have more than one iOS device?
    4. When you installed iOS 8, was it a clean install or an upgrade from iOS 7?

As a matter of fact, ever since yesterday's reboot 1Password has started syncing again, but other apps are still hanging on launch.

Are these apps using iCloud for anything? The hanging bug that is supposedly fixed in 8.1.1 beta 1 is related to apps checking for iCloud status at launch as far as I know. The actual sync itself is unrelated, which is what some folks are saying is working better.

As it seems, several developers reported issues starting with 8.1b2, so this clearly show that many of you knew, but did not enough to stop Apple from going gold or even alert their users base about what was coming out, and I'm quite disappointed about this - you don't stick to a deadline and then publish what you have, no matter its status, this is not serious beta testing at all.

There is nothing more we can do other than file bug reports with Apple, none of us actually have any direct access to people that would make the decision to not ship anything nor do we have any power to stop a release. I'm sure many of these developers have filed the bug reports and then reported it on Twitter to let other developers know. There is nothing else we can do but wait for Apple to fix this.

Apple is known for shipping versions with bugs intact. They fix bugs in successive updates, not all at once. We simply have no power over what Apple do or not do, only Apple can do what they want to do.

What's happening to our 1Password's vault certainly corncerns me more than other apps crashing on launch.

A copy of your 1Password vault is stored separately from the iCloud servers, it is generally not affected by this. To sync, we need to be able to communicate between Apple servers and the app, the only power we have is in our app. The problem is that the connections to Apple's servers aren't being established based on internal errors you're seeing.

In the report you sent us, we're getting errors from your iCloud account where 1Password cannot get any information to get the data it needs. That's why it says iCloud Drive is not available despite your iOS settings showing it is enabled.

The fact that your reboots are helping suggests there's something specific about the iCloud itself on the iOS device. We don't change how 1Password sync via iCloud after reboots, it's exactly the same process all the time.

The lack of troubleshooting guidelines is appalling, nobody can be asked to try all those many steps to just 'try' to see if it helps.

A small number of users are affected by this issue and when the issue is not reproducible, it makes it extremely difficult to pinpoint where the issue is. iCloud is one of these features where developers simply have no access to a black box, meaning when iCloud stop working, there is no actual data that can come back to tell us why it is not working, only a digit that generally doesn't tell us anything. We have to do an elimination process here to see where it is not working because the issue could be anywhere. That's why we have many steps, to figure out where it could be. If we find the bug is within iCloud, we have to let Apple know, and they can take over to figure out where the issue is.

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member

Frustration? No, that’s disappointment.

There’s nothing more than you can do ? Of course there is.
    So far, just Greg Pierce from Agile Tortoise has come out with a public post on his blog talking about the issue. With a few exceptions, all linking to Pierce’s post, everyone else has been sitting on his fence. Do you really think that the “just a small number of users are affected by this issue” refrain - so Apple’s, would be in any way acceptable ?
    “only Apple can do what they want to do”, so ? Since they behave that way, who are you to disagree, is that what you mean ?

Well, -I- disagree.
    I’m not interested about other apps. I’m talking to AgileBits. You have been caught off-guard by the whole issue. The troubleshooting guides you give us on that “iCloud Drive Not Available” pop-up are useless, and outdated - they even refer to V.4 on the Mac, and are just shots in the dark. And take this discussion: after several reports I’ve made through twitter, email and here, specifying that I’m using the MAS version of 1Password V5.0, Someone of you still asks me if I’m using the Webstore version? Come on !

“There’s nothing else we can do but wait”, and this means that we’ll be forced to. Sounds good…
    I’ve been a test engineer in the field for so many years that I can assure you that no, this is not was I was expecting, particularly from you.

So, let’s come to the bunch of information you have requested, more to show that you are sympathetic, than out of real need, since we ‘just have to wait’:

1. I didn’t use the iOS app too much, after my first reboot, so I can only tell you that between one and five days the sync stopped working again. I had the Sync log enabled however, and I granted permission to send diagnostics, but I see that you didn’t get anything useful from that.
    2. Background App Refresh is enabled, the default value.
      I’ll turn it off, eventually, if the app will stop syncing again for whatever reason.
    3. Yes, syncing with wifi, another vault, another profile, and I’m not willing to test anything that I’ve already tried on the iPad, now that it’s clear that it’s affecting other users too, and that we are just waiting for the miracle from 8.1.1.
    4. Upgrade from iOS 7.

In the end, I firmly believe that you have a great product, and that you should do something more to protect and preserve the trust your customers have granted you. Apple might not care at all about what you say, but we do, and you’re leaving us in the dark.

Andreas

• MikeT
    edited November 2014

Hi @nrdng‌:

Do you really think that the “just a small number of users are affected by this issue” refrain - so Apple’s, would be in any way acceptable ?

No, none of this is acceptable. If we knew this was going to happen, we would've removed iCloud support until it is more stable.

I didn’t use the iOS app too much, after my first reboot, so I can only tell you that between one and five days the sync stopped working again. I had the Sync log enabled however, and I granted permission to send diagnostics, but I see that you didn’t get anything useful from that.

Unfortunately, no. We didn't get any useful information from the system. Can you look at the iOS device's Diagnostics & Data list in iOS Settings.app > Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage > Diagnostic & Usage Data, do you see any reports for 1Password or iCloud-related services?

If yes, would you mind sending the three most recent reports to us? You can either copy and paste these reports or you can connect your iOS device to sync the reports to the computer to send us the files. Let me know what you'd like to do and I'll explain where you can find the reports if you connect the device directly.

Yes, syncing with wifi, another vault, another profile, and I’m not willing to test anything that I’ve already tried on the iPad, now that it’s clear that it’s affecting other users too, and that we are just waiting for the miracle from 8.1.1.

Just to be clear, we're not expecting 8.1.1 to solve everything, we're not going to wait and sit here. We still need to figure out what's wrong here and file reports with Apple and/or issue our own updates to fix or work around the issues.

Did you notice if the iCloud issues are identical between both iOS devices?

One more question, do you have more than one more Mac or would you mind creating a separate OS X account for me to test something? I'm wondering if you have two Macs syncing at the same time with the same iCloud account, would 1Password data sync via iCloud as well?

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member

@MikeT,

I don’t have any report for iCloud-related services, none I can recognise as such, by the way.
    I have two reports for 1Password, one from 02-11-2014 and another from 03-11-2014, probably generated since my last delete/reinstall. Indeed, on the 4th of November iCloud sync started to work again, as detailed on my previous posts.
    The fact is that under “Diagnostics & Usage” both ’Automatically Send’ and ‘Share with App Developers’ are enabled, so you should have already received them - I even thought that the data would be included in the diagnostics reports which I’ve generated from your app a few days ago…
    In any case, even after several syncs with my Mac, I don’t have them in my “~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice” folder on the Mac, so I have to copy/paste them and send them to your attention via email.

I’ve noticed that even the iPhone was experiencing the same issues with iOS8.1, so I wiped it out, reinstalled and left iCloud Drive off.

Last, I’ve created another user account from scratch on my Mac, using the same iCloud credentials. On 1Password I’ve created some secure notes, and then I’ve logged out. Upon logging in with my regular account, I’ve checked 1Password again and I’ve verified that the notes had been successfully synced.
    Is that what you meant ?

Andreas

• Hi @nrdng,

I have two reports for 1Password, one from 02-11-2014 and another from 03-11-2014, probably generated since my last delete/reinstall.

I looked at them and they are alerts from iOS saying that 1Password exceeding the backgrounding limit and it was shutting 1Password down to conserve the battery.

The fact is that under “Diagnostics & Usage” both ’Automatically Send’ and ‘Share with App Developers’ are enabled, so you should have already received them

These reports are anonymized with a crash reporter ID and unfortunately, we don't get all reports, just a few crash reports related to 1Password, nothing else. If we need to find specific reports, we have to request for the reports manually. These Send with App Developers reports are useful for when you have collective issues rather than edge cases.

I even thought that the data would be included in the diagnostics reports which I’ve generated from your app a few days ago

No, we can't grab the crash reports outside of our app folders. We can only include the logging we built into 1Password. I'm not sure if this has changed for iOS 8, we'll see if we can do this now.

I’ve noticed that even the iPhone was experiencing the same issues with iOS8.1, so I wiped it out, reinstalled and left iCloud Drive off.

If I'm following you correctly here, the iPhone is the only one that is a clean install of iOS 8.1 and it has iCloud Drive disabled. I know it is a lot to ask for and especially after I asked for the Mac test, which confirms iCloud sync is working correctly with both accounts, is there a chance we can ask you to back up your iPhone as is right now, and turn on iCloud Drive afterward to see if 1Password would sync from the Mac?

Last, I’ve created another user account from scratch on my Mac, using the same iCloud credentials. On 1Password I’ve created some secure notes, and then I’ve logged out. Upon logging in with my regular account, I’ve checked 1Password again and I’ve verified that the notes had been successfully synced. Is that what you meant ?

That's good news, it means it is not related to your iCloud account but rather the iCloud service on the iPad.

This discussion has been closed.