iCloud changes - differences between web and app store purchases and disgruntled customer

Options
pandora
pandora
Community Member

Really, guys? Your explanations for your now two-tiered (however you want to spin it) versions are all very convenient, but ... well, if I give em a bit of time to rot down well and spread them on my garden, maybe they'll help the roses grow.

As must be obvious, I feel royally screwed, as I’m sure many of those who invested in your company by buying your product do. These changes don’t happen overnight, and your company must have known that those who bought from your site directly would end up left on the second tier of a tiered system, yet you let them buy and continue to let them buy the web product. There is far from adequate information to help buyers on this issue. The required information is buried in your Blog or here on the forum! This are not the first place prospective purchasers go for information. And this is critical information that you have a duty to inform the public of with honest clarity.

As far as I know promo codes are available to developers for initial app downloads, but clearly you are not willing to offer this service. Not only that, you only offer a 30% discount, less than many developers who have promos at the app store. Perhaps the modern business model lauds the company that gets the clients to pay twice for something. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t have touched a company with this approach to it’s buyers if I had known. It’s dishonest and puts profit before fair practice. I won’t be buying any more of your products in the future.

Comments

• Hi @pandora,

1Password 5 for Mac is a major release and one of the significant changes we made was a complete rewrite of iCloud syncing. 1Password 5 switched to the new Apple iCloud "CloudKit" technology which is only available on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, and limited to Mac App Store apps only. After this change we were no longer able to offer iCloud syncing in the web store version of 1Password.

We've put together a FAQ page with more information here:

Web store and iCloud FAQ

I also want to make sure that you have a chance to review some more information on iCloud and why the Mac App Store is the only version that has access to that particular sync option. Roustem, one of our founders, has written a blog post on the iCloud rewrite and I’d like to share it with you:

About iCloud changes in 1Password 5

The only way to use iCloud in 1Password 5 is to purchase directly from the Mac App Store. Unfortunately there is no way for us to transfer your purchase from our store to Apple's. I’m sorry we don’t have a better migration path for you. Promo codes are not a solution, since we only receive 100 codes per version, which isn't anywhere close to enough to assist all of our users.

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions.

• pandora
    pandora
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. OK.

• mingw
    mingw
    Community Member
    Options

just saw this. same boat as you pandora utterly disappointed and extremely dishonest. there should be a way to get a refund

• molsen
    molsen
    Community Member
    Options

If they won't offer a refund then what they should do is offer a upgrade path to the mac store version for not much money say $5. That would go along way to helping resolve this as there are a number of upset customers due to how this has been handled.

• Hi @mingw,

We do offer a 30-day money back guarantee, so we are able to offer a refund for recent purchases. Unfortunately, we're not able to refund older purchases. The only way to use iCloud in 1Password 5 is to purchase directly from the Mac App Store. Unfortunately there is no way for us to transfer your purchase from our store to Apple's. I'm sorry we don’t have a better migration path for you.

Hi @molsen,

Unfortunately, we're not able to offer any upgrades or transfers to the Mac App Store. It's not something Apple allows. I'm sorry we don’t have a better migration path for you.

This discussion has been closed.