Mac App Store vs Web Store version.

Options
larryo
larryo
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

This summer I bought the family license for $56 and a iOS app for $19. The one feature that I cared for most was iCloud syncing. Now the only way to get it is to fork over an additional $35. I filled a support ticket last week (#RGP-72374-281) on the issue and then found out the support team was inundated with requests. Reading the forums, the support team was assuring people they'd be helped, and people were migrated over. Just wait and they'll eventually help.

Today I see an announcement that isn't the case anymore. If you want it you have to buy it again. Stating they've changed their policy "a bit". Seems more like a 180 degree change. I can't find the 7+ page thread where people were pasting their support ticket numbers and getting helped right away.

I really wish Agile Bits would do the right thing. I've recommended 1Password to a handful of people where, who are now paying customers. I can't do that in good faith after this burn.

Comments

• eimeria
    eimeria
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in the same situation. I emailed support on 10/18/14 (ticket #MWK-25734-354). I saw the same long thread with repeated promises to do right by their customers. I listened to the multiple posts asking people not to post their ticket numbers in the thread or send multiple emails because it was just slowing down the manual process. Although it was disappointing to see others with later tickets get helped, I trusted AgileBits to get to my ticket and process it in the manual fashion that they had described.

It's really disappointing to see this drastic change. While I can understand it likely is a costly process for them, I don't think it's quite right to promise one thing and then change their mind and retroactively screw over the people who followed the directions and waited patiently as requested.

I've supported AgileBits for a while. This leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth; it will be hard to keep supporting them in the future.

• larryo
    larryo
    Community Member
    Options

http://blog.agilebits.com/2014/10/24/1password-5-for-mac-by-the-numbers/

• 3rd Top Grossing in the US Mac App Store
    • 3rd Top Paid in the US Mac App Store

Wonder if they'll do a "Customer Support by the Numbers" blog post about how many people aren't happy about this.

• SaraMinisterOfMagic
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thank you both for reaching out! I appreciate you including your support tickets in your emails - you will see a response from myself directly!

Unfortunately, the Mac App Store has limitations, and the ability to transfer licenses from a non-Mac App Store purchase to Apple's App store does not exist. As you already know, we have been going through each persons request individually. We are trying to do what's best for our customers, and our small support team is working around the clock trying to reach everyone.

• Sad to say, I'm in the same situation. I too woke up to find my 1Password iCloud syncing was broken. I went to the forums. I saw there was the promise of help if we sent a message to the special support address. I mentioned that I got the address from the forums in the email I sent on 20 October. 9 days later, i.e. today, I get an anodyne, generic email back pointing me to the blog post I'v already read, but zero offer of a remedy other than buying another copy.

I upgraded from an individual license to a family license when 1P4 came out. Now to be asked to fork out GBP25 (@$40) to preserve functionality I already had, only a year later, that is not on.

The worst thing is I switched to iCloud syncing after several exchanges with Jeffrey Goldberg, because switching to iCloud was the route to getting your improved, probably more secure, Agile file format. Having made the switch, my choice gets held to ransom.

My support request is [#HQL-31715-176]. If an intervention can be made, please do so. I have been a loyal customer since v1 and have recommended 1Password dozens and dozens of times.

David.

• larryo
    larryo
    Community Member
    Options

It could be worse. They could gouge us for the full $49, but instead we get a generous discount of $35.

I bet management is pretty pumped about their new version roll out. They probably covered the months of dev work costs in the first few days of launch. Sucks that they can't give the support team what they need to take care of loyal customers.

Here's my prediction, the webstore and its version goes away in a few months. The App Store version is too successful.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @entropydave‌ and @larryo,

I just want to offer my sincere apologies here. I know that this is a rough situation, and I certainly don't blame you for feeling frustrated.

@entropydave, we're working to get our new data format (.opvault) available on all platforms and sync solutions just as soon as possible!

And @larryo, at this time, we have no plans to get rid of the webstore version of 1Password. We have many users who would prefer not to purchase software from the Mac App Store, and we're happy to provide that option for them.

I hope this helps - we are here if you have any further questions or concerns.

• larryo
    larryo
    Community Member
    Options

Loyal customers are given the same offer as new users, a reduced price of $35 down from $49.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Chapters/ProvidingPromoCodes.html

• We appreciate your comments, we truly do. We are doing everything we can to get back to each customer, individually, searching their purchase history to see if we can provide a direct refund. Many, like yourself, have already received more than one reply from our team, indicating a purchase cannot be refunded as it was purchased last year. The Mac App Store does not allow for webstore purchase conversions, and promo codes are not an option with their limited numbers. As Dave mentioned in his post, hindsight is 20-20 and at this point, we can only continue to handle the individual emails, and ask for patience and understanding as we try to get to everyone.

• LoGa
    LoGa
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

@SaraMinisterOfMagic I've purchased in about 2 Month ago. Today I received an e-mail, there is no refund, too. Only within 30 days after purchase :(

• larryo
    larryo
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I like the censorship of this post title. Was "Mac App Store vs Web Store -- iCloud Disaster" now "Mac App Store vs Web Store version."

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @LoGa,

I sincerely apologize that we were unable to refund your purchase. As Sara mentioned above, we're searching each user's purchase history, and in every case attempting to refund the purchase. Unfortunately, for purchases from more than 30 days ago, it's just not possible.

• brittspace
    brittspace
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, I've been a user of 1Password since the early days, and just wow.

Not only is this contradictory to what was posted by the support team in the thread that was deleted (?!), but I now have a crippled version of the software I paid for, and the way to fix that is to re-purchase it?

I agree with eimeria that it will be very difficult to support you going forward, which really does make me sad.

• keymaster
    keymaster
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. Paid for the "web version" no mention ever anywhere about any difference in functionality. Now being asked to purchase again from mac store for full functionality?? Ticket # [#PPH-38228-681] submitted a week ago and no response at all. You must be joking.... Think I'm going to give you more money when you won't even respond to my support request? Have been loyal and upgrade purchasing user since 2009. Get ready to hear me say "good-bye"... and be prepared for my review of your company and customer service....

• sasoon
    sasoon
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I am pissed of too. I already bought 1Password for Mac outside app store. Finally I upgraded to Yosemite yesterday, expecting cloud sync to work again, and after I started 1Password it greeted me with message:
    "Sorry, you have to buy 1Password from Mac App store to have cloud sync work."
    What?
    You know what, I already paid for it.

Sorry Agilebits, this is very unprofessional. I am software developer, and I would NEVER do this to my customers.
    So find a way for existing customers to get Mac App store version for free, not for 35$.
    You can add separate free Mac store version that would work with existing license info, you can drop price to 1$ for a one day and notify existing customers, or something else, but find a solution.
    This is not even about 35$, it is about you making existing customers feel screwed over.

• mingw
    mingw
    Community Member
    Options

Am in the same boat as most of you are here. Utterly disappointed with these guys - I understand the whole CloudKit thing and the decisions made. I agree with sasoon this is totally unprofessional. Why would I pay another 35USD for a product that I have already paid 27USD (I bought a family pack back in April of this year) not to mention a small sum for the iOS app ? This is just ridiculous.

• Hi guys,

1Password 5 for Mac is a major release and one of the significant changes we made was a complete rewrite of iCloud syncing. 1Password 5 switched to the new Apple iCloud "CloudKit" technology which is only available on OS X Yosemite and iOS 8, and limited to Mac App Store apps only. After this change we were no longer able to offer iCloud syncing in the web store version of 1Password.

We've put together a FAQ page with more information here:

Web store and iCloud FAQ

I also want to make sure that you have a chance to review some more information on iCloud and why the Mac App Store is the only version that has access to that particular sync option. Roustem, one of our founders, has written a blog post on the iCloud rewrite and I’d like to share it with you:

About iCloud changes in 1Password 5

The only way to use iCloud in 1Password 5 is to purchase directly from the Mac App Store. Unfortunately there is no way for us to transfer your purchase from our store to Apple's. I’m sorry we don’t have a better migration path for you.

If you have any other questions, please send us an email and we can assist.

This discussion has been closed.