1Password from Agile Web Store with agilekeychain pwd file on iCloud Drive

Options
janrothen
janrothen
Community Member

Hello

I'm confused about many posts that claim 1Password does not support iCloud Drive.

I'm using 1Password 5 Version 5.0.2 (502007) Agile Web Store.
with OS X Yosemite 10.10 (14A389) on 2 Macs (one at work, one at home). I don't use 1Password for iOS though.

I just moved my 1Password.agilekeychain to a iCloud Drive folder (see screenshot). Previously I used Dropbox.
Can I assume that this file is properly synced?

Comments

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

As I understand it iCloud syncing does not use an Agile keychain at all.

While you can obviously put an agile keychain file in the iCloud drive, as you can any file, that is not how iCloud sync works and I am amazed it is is syncing for you.

Will be very interested to see the official Agile support response to this!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2014
    Options

Will be very interested to see the official Agile support response to this!

Official response:

that is not how iCloud sync works and I am amazed it is is syncing for you.

Me too. :)

While it may work between Macs, it is not officially supported, will definitely not work on iOS, and may break at any time. If it breaks all we'd be able to do is help you switch to one of the officially supported sync methods.

It wasn't designed to work that way, so it may lead to other issues such as data integrity problems.

That said, if it works for you, great! :)

• janrothen
    janrothen
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

According to Apple, files in iCloud Drive get synchronized across all devices
    (https://apple.com/ios/whats-new/icloud-drive):

Using iCloud Drive means you’ll always have access to the latest version of all your documents from any device.
    With iCloud Drive, you can safely store all your presentations, spreadsheets, PDFs, images, and any other kind of document in iCloud and access them from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC.
    Edits you make on one device appear on all of them.

It does actually work for me. I've just retrieved this forums login credentials that I created at work on an iMac from my Macbook Air at home to write this reply.

What's the difference compared to Dropbox?
    Isn't this exactly the same functionality?

• Ben
    Options

The difference is that 1Password is designed and tested extensively to do file based syncing with Dropbox. It isn't for iCloud Drive.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

But presumably the MAS version is fully tested with iCloud syncing with the new Cloudkit, which is not the same as using the iCloud Drive instead of Dropbox to store an agilekeychain, as the OP is doing.

Feel your comment that 1Password is not tested with iCloud Drive has potential to be misunderstood. Please correct me if I am the one misunderstanding.

• Jasper
    edited November 2014
    Options

That's correct, @mikebore. 1Password is designed and tested for the built-in iCloud sync (using CloudKit). It's not the same as folder syncing via iCloud Drive.

This discussion has been closed.