I have run in to several websites that do not seem to work with 1Password. I need help.

Options
jazzman
jazzman
Community Member

For example, I tried to set up 1Password with Sam's Club. It just doesn't work. I get a message from Sam's Club saying it's not accepting the info. Some other sites will put in the user name but then you have to answer questions or take other additional measures. Maybe I'm doing this all wrong, but the reason I signed on to 1Password was to make it easy for my wife to handle things if something happens to me. So far, I'm not doing too well. I'd say about a third of the sites I have tried to load have not worked or have login problems. Somebody please help.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jazzman‌

How are you adding information to 1Password? Are you using the browser extension?

See especially the "Pro Tip" at the bottom of the page for dealing with especially troublesome logins.

Thanks!

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

I thought I went exactly by the instructions that you gave me above, but there are still problems. Some websites ask for your user name and password, and then they may have additional requirements like personal questions or a number, word or picture to id before you can log in. 1Password does not seem to be able to deal with anything but a straightforward user name and password scenario. On a couple of occasions, 1Password saved my password but not the user name. In those instances, I used the manual login to deal with that and it worked. I did set up the browser extension and use the troublesome login helps, but I'm still having problems on some sites. I thought 1Password was going to be easy and an answer to the system I currently have, but I am finding otherwise. The Sam's Club thing is a real kicker. It just sends me a message that tells me it is incompatible.

Could any of my settings be wrong? I went right by the instructions in setting this up. Is there any setting that could be obviously wrong?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jazzman‌

The Saving a Login Manually instructions can often handle awkward sites and remember various filled in fields. One use I have is a page where I want it to remember 5/6 fields and none of them are a username or password. I couldn't do that by directly adding an entry to 1Password but manually saving it did.

Now of course there are sites that 1Password will struggle with. If you're asked for specific characters from a password 1Password can't currently handle that, if it asks for different data each time 1Password won't be able to help but only in the sense of automatic filling. 1Password can still word as a secure, encrypted database of all your passwords and security questions which you can cut and paste from the application to a web page if needed. In fact when I first purchased 1Password that's exactly what I did. I was a fan of the Opera browser and at the time it wasn't supported. I used to use ⌘⇥ (cmd + tab) to switch rapidly between my browser and 1Password and copy and paste.

If a site requests authentication that you're a user via some picture question then the best way to handle sites like that is to follow the steps in that link, then edit the item in 1Password and change the option at the bottom from Submit when enabled to Never submit. That will stop 1Password from trying to submit the form and allow for any final fields to be filled in manually.

Does that help with any of the sites you're still fighting with? If you can supply URLs for any giving you any real trouble we can look and see if there's a combination that works or maybe the extension even needs tweaking (something that is happening all the time).

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

That helps some.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jazzman‌ As you're beginning to imagine, trying to accommodate every possible way of having a user enter login credentials can be quite tricky. The program is constantly being improved and refined so each page reported that just doesn't want to play ball helps us. Bank sites are usually a real pain though.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

How about insurance companies? Sam's Club has been a problem too.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jazzman‌

If you have particular sites that just don't seem to want to behave then as long as posting the URL gives nothing away we can take a look. If something is quite complex, a screen shot (with no real data) showing what you're experiencing may assist too but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

I found the problem. I had a restrictive cookie setting on my Mac. Once I changed that, everything worked seamlessly. That poses another problem. Now, if I want to delete any cookies, I have to do it manually. Any ideas on handling that in an easier manner?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jazzman‌

Handling of cookies is very much a browser dependent task, none of the browsers I've used handle it exactly the same. So to give you a better idea it would probably be useful to know what browsers you use.

What I can say is I used to be a big Opera fan and the old Opera used to be brilliant in the control you had. I could say allow all cookies and delete everything on exit and then add exceptions (so delete everything but leave those site's cookies). Then Opera shifted to Chromium and I moved to Safari. Safari isn't anywhere near as good at control of cookies and I've still not found an acceptable solution myself. Every day or so I simply delete all cookies but have to do so manually. In other words if there's an extension that gives some reasonable control over cookies in Safari I'd be interested in hearing about it too.

I'm glad to hear you've at least managed to get 1Password and your browser co-operating a little better. Hopefully you find a way of taming cookies too.

• jazzman
    jazzman
    Community Member
    Options

thightower sent me this
    thightower
    Community Moderator
    13 Nov 2014 #5
    I have used an app on and off over the years to help maintain my cookies and remove certain ones at specific times as well as keep others. I have used it since it was a very young app and freeware. Its now available in the Mac App Store and some of you may find it useful.

Its called simply Cookie

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cookie/id415585910?mt=12

See what you think. I'm getting over my head.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jazzman,

Since you've opened a separate thread discussing the cookie issue, we'll reply there - just so that we don't end up having the same conversation in two places. (As you can imagine, it could get a bit confusing!)

I'm so glad to hear though that you were able to get everything working smoothly after dealing with a few rogue cookies. :)

This discussion has been closed.