Importing Lastpass into 1Password 5

Brian Suttles
Brian Suttles
Community Member

I'm brand-new to this...

I downloaded 1Password 5 and would like to import my passwords from Lastpass.

Could someone please instruct me on how to do this?

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Do you have a Mac or a Windows machine? If so, you may want to try the LastPass converter.

• Brian Suttles
    Brian Suttles
    Community Member

I'm using a Mac that's running OS 10.7.5. The program offered through the 1Password website states that I have to be running 10.8 or higher. 10.7.5 is as high as my computer can go.

Is there an earlier Mac version that I can download that would work?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi Brian,

There's a problem - 1Password 4, which you would need to import, only runs on 10.8 and above.

With a couple of minor changes to the converter, best I can see is that the converter itself should work on that version of the OS (I'm not positive since I don't have its exact set of utilities to test with).

But we still have the problem that 1Password 4 requires a 10.8+ system.

If there is another system you can use (Windows or OS X 10.8+), you can make progress.

MrC

• Brian Suttles
    Brian Suttles
    Community Member

So I just found this link:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/20918/what-1password-should-i-use-for-os-x-10-7-5

Am I correct in seeing that the iPhone version is free, but I have to pay for the desktop version?

Is there any way to do the conversion through the iOS version?

Is there a charge for the Windows version as well? I may be able to download the program on my work computer.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2014

You can use a 30-day free trial version of 1Password 4 for Mac or Windows to do the import.

The converter uses features in 1Password 4 (like customized Sections and Fields). I have no idea what would work in 1Password 3, but I don't believe it will, so you should abandon the 1P3 route.

IOS has no import capabilities that I'm aware of.

If you can use your work's Windows system, then your basic steps will be:

• Export your LastPass database

• Run the converter on that exported file

• Import the generated 1PIF file into 1Password 4 on that system

• Sync your data in 1Password 4 to your phone (I believe these steps are detailed here in the forums or FAQs, but I don't have a quick reference to them - by the time you get to this step, other folks are likely to have jumped in and provided the reference).

• Securely delete your exported LastPass data file and converted data file (maybe you also want to remove 1Password and its data afterwards too).

• Brian Suttles
    Brian Suttles
    Community Member

Thanks!

So now I'm going to ask what will seem to be stupid questions to post on the 1Password discussion board, but I have to ask them.

Before I go through all of those steps and extra work, what are the advantages of 1Passwird versus Lastpass? In other words, do both programs do the exact same things?

Is one more secure than the other? Does one provide more functions? Is one more versatile?

And lastly...

Will I need the Windows version if I have the mobile one.

I'm sorry to be the problem child here.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2014

You do not need to use the desktop version of the app to use the IOS version. You'd only need it now to import your converted data the first time.

You'll probably want your data sync'd (backed up) somewhere, for safety. This can be another computer's 1Password via WiFi, or the cloud (Dropbox or iCloud).

As for the Which Is Better question, you're on the AgileBits forums, so I think you know what folks here will say. You should review the FAQs and Blog postings and make your own assessments re: security. As for usability, your best answers will come from your own experience. Install the IOS version and create some test records and try it out (the basic app is now free).

• SteveK54
    SteveK54
    Community Member

OK, dumb question. When I create CSV file from Lastpass it just shows up as an html list on the page. At this point, the conversion instructions say Navigate to your Desktop folder in the Select a file to export to dialog, and in the File name area, enter the name pm_export.txt, and click Save ." I have no idea where to find the "select a file to export to dialog" is! I can't find anything that looks or acts similarly. Help!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2014

Hi @SteveK54‌,

Use the LastPass browser extension's pull-down menu. It is the little red square with a white star icon in your browser's toolbar somewhere. There, look for Tools > Advanced Tools > Export To > LastPass CSV File:

• SteveK54
    SteveK54
    Community Member

thanks, I got that. what then happens is a get an html file with all my lastpass password info. I cannot figure out how to save that file in a format that allows conversion. The only save options are in html format which are worthless for this purpose. what am I missing?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2014

Hi SteveK54,

Which OS is this? Which browser?

I think you are using the wrong LastPass star button. There are two: one is the browser extension on the browser's toolbar (it may be white or grey, depending upon your OS and browser); the other - which you should not use - is on the page itself.

• SteveK54
    SteveK54
    Community Member

yosemite, Chrome. I am using the one on the browser extension on the toolbar (red with a greyish star inside). drop downs look similar to those you show above but when I click 'LastPass CSV File" I get the html file (after logging into my lastpass vault) and no why to get to the conversion protocol. Stumped....

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Ok, no matter.

Here's what you have to do. When that HTML page opens showing the contents of your LastPass data, select all of it (Cmd-A) and Copy it (Cmd-C). Open TextEdit, and go to the menu TextEdit > Preferences. In the New Document tab, under Format, select Plain Text and close that dialog. Open a new document (Cmd-N). Paste your data now (Cmd-V), and save it to your Desktop with the file name pm_export.txt and selecting Unicode (UTF-8) as the Plain Text Encoding.

• SteveK54
    SteveK54
    Community Member

ok, now I have a file named pm_export.txt saved on my desktop. If I go to import in 1Password the file is greyed out and cannot be opened. What now? thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2014

Great - you're making headway. But It sounds like you're trying to import directly into 1Password. You have to convert the file to 1PIF first. This is the utility and thread for you:

Download it, and follow the instructions.

• SteveK54
    SteveK54
    Community Member

ok, pasting "cd Desktop/onepassword-utilities/convert_to_1p4" returns "No such file or directory"

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Let's work through these offline. Contact me at my email address at the top of the script. (the error above simply means the unzipped onepassword-utilities folder was not placed (intact) onto your Desktop, and so you cannot change directories into it).

• SteveK54
    SteveK54
    Community Member

success! many thanks for your help!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

:)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

As always, thank you so much for your help with this, @MrC! :smiley: