Feature Request - Custom Keyboard Shortcut [Under consideration]

Options
AllKnightAccess
AllKnightAccess
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

Please add a way to customize the keyboard shortcut to reveal/conceal passwords in the Mac OS X application.

Comments

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

Are you talking about IMMEDIATELY viewing the password? All you do is hit the 'option' key. I use it religiously!

• AllKnightAccess
    AllKnightAccess
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I am aware you can use the "option" key. However, I don't want to use the "option" key to do that, since I am already using the "option" key as a shortcut for Mac OS spaces, and it's causing a conflict. I want to be able to customize the 1Password shortcut, so I can set it to a different key other than "option". In the application's preferences, under "General > Keyboard Shortcuts", there are already several shortcuts which can be customized. However, neither of them allow to customize the shortcut to reveal/conceal passwords.

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I kinda figured it was more than that. I'm just curious. When you say "Mac OS spaces", what exactly are you referring to? Displaying your desktops? Like this?

• AllKnightAccess
    AllKnightAccess
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that is what I mean by Spaces.

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. This is something I use religiously everyday, too! Under 'System Preferences' - 'Mission Control' - 'Hot Corners', I've got my upper left & upper right corners set to 'Mission Control'. That instantly pulls up your OS Spaces when you move the mouse into those corners. Are you aware of this option?

• AllKnightAccess
    AllKnightAccess
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I am aware of that too. However, the limitation is in 1Password, by currently not supporting the ability to customize the desired keyboard shortcut to reveal/conceal passwords.

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like you've just gotta push for a user requested change, I guess. Wish I could've helped you out. I tried! :)

• AllKnightAccess
    AllKnightAccess
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

• MikeT
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi guys,

We have an open request in our tracker to add an option to customize the shortcut for this or at least add a menu item. If we add it to the menu, you can then change the keyboard shortcut in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts. Since it doesn't have a menu item, you can't change it at the moment.

I've add your vote to that request and we'll figure out a better solution for this. Thanks!

ref: OPM-1506

• Andy Trench
    Andy Trench
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Mike,
    In that menu could you please consider adding an option to remove the reveal button/option completely?

Companies like ours may want to disable it so employees can use the passwords to login to sites and such, but not have access to all the passwords.

• Hi Andy,

Trying to "hide" the passwords by not allowing the user to reveal a password using the 1Password app, while still allowing them to use the password (fill it in a browser), provides little to no security. We tend to stay away from features that may make people feel more secure, while not actually increasing security.

One very simple way to bypass a feature like this would be filling the login into a webpage, then modifying the input field from type="password" to type="text". This will reveal the password.

With that said, thanks for the feedback! We never say never, so I will pass your feedback along to our developers.

This discussion has been closed.