Master Password Sync Issue

Options
robbski
robbski
Community Member

First of all, I hate the word SHOULD. I can't stand to hear things like, "It should work." and "It should do this." I've went through all of the threads about the Master Password not syncing to your other devices, and still don't really have a definitive answer on this topic. I just changed my Master Password on my 27" iMac last night. I still have to enter my OLD Master Password on my MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, and HTC One M8 Android phone. So is the final answer from AgileBits, "Yes, you must MANUALLY change the Master Password on all of your other devices to match the new one you just created."? Or is the answer, "It SHOULD work, but sometimes it doesn't."? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Comments

• 2old4fun
    2old4fun
    Community Member
    Options

It should not and can not sync. The Master Password exists only in your mind (unless you wrote it down somewhere). This is one of the security aspects of the program.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robbski,

It looks like you've done some great research here, so I'm not sure I can say anything that you haven't already read. I do apologize for the frustration here, and I wish I had a more definitive answer for you.

At this time, we are investigating reports of changes to the Master Password not syncing properly across devices. Our developers have a few ideas of where things are getting tangled up, but we haven't quite gotten it solved just yet. A workaround that has been suggested is the following:

• Use old Master Password on iOS
    • Make sure you're up to date sync-wise (do an item change on your Mac and make sure you see it on iOS)
    • Background the iOS app (but do not terminate it!)
    • Foreground the app, such that it asks you for a Master Password
    • Use the new Master Password

The reason that this works is that: on start up of the iOS app, the sync system doesn't have the context needed to know to go looking in the agilekeychain for the new Master Password. We only swap the password in your local profile after you have tried to use the new Master Password and we've been able to validate it against the remote profile. If it works there we swap the local password for the new one.

If this workaround does not work for you, you will need to manually update your Master Password on your devices - we want the Master Password to be the same everywhere.

We'll do what we can to have this issue properly resolved for you soon!

ref: CSI-5

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

So it's safe to assume that '2old4fun''s response to my question is incorrect? This is NOT one of the security aspects of the program? Yet ANOTHER pet peeve of mine! People that thing they're right about something and post wrong answers! :)

• Ben
    Options

2old4fun is correct in that the actual Master Password is not ever synced anywhere. This is not anywhere near a perfect analogy, but: it is the lock, not the key, that is synced.

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

From Megan: "At this time, we are investigating reports of changes to the Master Password not syncing properly across devices." Thanks, bwoodruff. Not to point fingers, so Megan's statement is incorrect? So the ANSWER from AgileBits is to MANUALLY change your Master Password to be the same thing on each device, because the Master Password is NOT going to get updated on your other devices running 1Password, it sounds like? Sorry, 2old4fun! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robbski‌

I think it's about the precise terminology and how we use it here. Only you know your Master Password - it isn't stored. So bwoodruff isn't misleading you when he says your actual Master Password isn't synced anywhere. Your Master Password though doesn't actually decrypt all of your data in the strictest sense. In terms of the agilekeychain, your Master Password decrypts a single, small file called encryption.js and this small file holds several strong keys. These internal keys don't change when you change the Master Password, but 1Password encrypts the contents of this file using your new Master Password and overwrites the old version. Now these keys are stored both locally and in the sync copy as without them you couldn't decrypt your vault. What should happen (I know, I've used the word should) is that each copy of 1Password should test to see if it has changed and here is where the bug most likely is (I say that as an outsider to the actual development). It doesn't stop you synchronising though as the keys that encrypt your synced data haven't changed and the local version will work. So when Megan said:

we are investigating reports of changes to the Master Password not syncing properly across devices.

She was merely trying to avoid a much longer post describing encryption.js and it's role, which for many people may be just too much information. So while your Master Password isn't synchronised, a file that has been encrypted using it as the key has been and if all the devices recognise the change then the keys locally will be encrypted using the new Master Password and essentially your Master Password has synchronised (in a way).

Manually changing your Master Password on each device is just a workaround until the bug can be neutralised. If you were to erase all data and settings from within 1Password and set up syncing you would find it would require the new Master Password.

Why do we have the encryption.js file at all? It's all about key strength. The more data you need to encrypt with a single key, the stronger you need the key to be. So we encrypt your data (which is always going to be larger in size) using randomly generated, strong keys and then encrypt the much smaller file that holds those keys with your Master Password. I won't lie, I'm no expert in encryption so if you need something in more depth I'll have to ask somebody else in on this discussion. I know just enough though to know this is a good system.

Does that help?

• robbski
    robbski
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much, littlebobbytables. That's more than enough explanation for me! I'm all for encryption and security, so the more encryption, the better, in my opinion. I think MOST people (like myself) think that the actual Master Password is supposed to sync along with all the other changes you make to 1Password. This answers my questions. I'll just manually change it on my other devices. No big deal. Thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robbski‌ I know it should seem simple but sometimes synchronisation is just a pain in the ass. Our devs are working on isolating exactly why it isn't working and getting it working, if for no other reason than it not working annoys them :wink:. So at some point in the future the synchronised encrypted keys will work as intended and you shouldn't need to manually change each device. As far as bugs go though at least this one has a reasonable workaround until that day. I hope you keep enjoying 1Password :smile:

This discussion has been closed.