iCloud Drive Not Available [Possibly resolved with iOS 8.1.1]

Options
13»

Comments

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nrdng the profiles setting is still there (Settings > General > Profiles) - I just installed the CloudKit profile and am able to delete it from there

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

Well, @Winnie, i indeed had a 'Settings > General > Profiles' setting under iOS7, but there's not anymore under iOS8.x.

I'm monitoring several discussions on Apple's forums, and the recent 'Masque Attacks' news have confirmed from many sources that iOS8 devices do not show installed provisioning profiles. So, either you are not using an iOS8 device, or you have a special configuration that I - and many others - do not have.

As far as I've been told by Apple support, the only way left to remove a provisioning profile would be using Xcode, so it would be interesting to know how you've made the setting reappear on your device.

Andreas

• @nrdng I thought that too, but it turns out that they just hide it when there are no profiles installed. Once I installed the profile it showed up.

Rick

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion, it seems there's something wrong on that too, then, because - as I've just written - several users are stuck with profiles which don't show up. This could be another 'proceed at your own risk' situation, which could leave our devices with a debugging profile for all that concerns CloudKit.

It would be wiser to detail the steps to remove provisioning profiles with Xcode, too.

Andreas

• Hi @nrdng,

As far as I'm aware, the only way to remove such profiles is directly via the device's Settings > General > Profiles. The Xcode thing is for development profiles only. Just to confirm this, I installed the iCloud profile and don't see it show up in Xcode anywhere, just the development ones.

I am able to delete the profile from Settings > General > Profiles on my iPhone running iOS 8.1.

Can you link me to the Apple discussions about the missing Profiles?

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT,

I already know how to delete provisioning profiles, thanks.
    The fact is that I don't have the 'Profiles' setting anymore, in iOS8.x. You tell me that it should re-appear once I've installed a profile, but if you make a simple search with google you'll see that other users are reporting the opposite, and if you'll take a look at the reports on the 'Masque Attacks' issues that have surfaced recently, you'll see that the provisioning profiles causing the attacks do not appear, so can't be deleted using the old method.

All this means that I can't be sure that it will be possible to delete the debugging profile, after we've collected the logs. Since you tell that Xcode won't be able to uninstall it, in case something will go wrong and that debugging profile won't appear on some devices, the only option left would be to reinstall the device.
    Since we've been going on for days not knowing what and why it happens, trying this and that, I wouldn't be 100% sure about what could happen to user's devices, if I were you.

Users who are already experiencing the sync issues should be well aware about all the risks related to what you are suggesting. It's a good idea, right, but one which should be usually performed in closed testing environments. You are asking us to do it, but are not acknowledging the risks because on your devices "it just works".

But what if it won't ?

Well, @MikeT and all the team, with all due respect and the appreciation I have for your work, even all these sync issues on iOS8.x went unnoticed, when you released the app, which undoubtedly "just worked" at the time when you gave it a 'green' light.
    If we have to bear the consequences of bad coding, most probably caused by Apple itself, we have every reason to do our best to be sure about what's happening. We are not using testing or debugging devices, but personal ones which in most cases are an integral part of our everyday's working routine.
    Always keep that in mind.

Andreas

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nrdng‌

I am so sorry to hear that you're still running into trouble with iCloud sync. If you're not comfortable adding the profiles our devs have requested in order to help track this issue down, that's completely fine. It certainly isn't your job to go bug hunting for us, although we appreciate all the help you have been able to provide so far.

We are doing are best to track this issue down, and will be sure to update this thread when we have anything new to report.

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

More exactly, I'm not comfortable with you not acknowledging the risks involved in adding a CloudKit debugging profile to devices not meant to be used for debugging purposes, because everyday users might not be so aware about what that means. it's a quite delicate matter, which I see you are not addressing, as well.
    If you look at older posts you'll see that I no longer have an iCloud sync problem, but that certainly has nothing to do with my remarks about installing debugging profiles on everyday's working devices...

Let's see, then, if iOS 8.1.1 has completely solved the issues, or just part of them, as in many other areas. Good luck with your bug hunting!

Andreas

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Andreas ( @nrdng )

Well, I'm glad to hear that you are no longer experiencing a problem with iCloud sync - that's great! It's a bit of a long conversation here, so I apologize for having missed that detail when reading earlier. I've gone back and re-read the thread again to make sure I'm fully up-to-date.

I avoided saying anything in particular about the debugging profile because I am not on the development team and am not really qualified to comment on the matter. I do notice that in the conversation above, Mike requested that you provide a link or two from the Apple discussions you are following that discuss the missing profiles. This would give us a bit of further insight into the issue and allow us to do a bit of investigation here.

In any case, we're monitoring the situation with iCloud and will do all we can to ensure that sync is working smoothly and reliably for all our users.

• nrdng
    nrdng
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

As I've already suggested to @MikeT‌ you can freely and easily look on their public forums for that topic, not forgetting the several 'Masque Attacks' articles that have recently appeared, talking about the same subject. Apple avoids the topic, something which is getting more and more annoying and too common also for third-party developers, and that's why, on that matter, you should address what to do in case your debugging profiles won't appear, even if on just some of your user's devices...

Andreas

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nrdng‌,

It seems we've gotten slightly off the original topic here, which was investigating cases of 'iCloud Drive not being available'. Since it seems that most users have had this issue resolved, either by resetting their cellular data (or by the latest iOS update) going through the trouble of installing the additional profile might not be necessary.

I'll close this thread for now. If you, or any other users do experience this issue again, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, and we'll investigate further.

This discussion has been closed.