Knox Beta Questions

I am currently running 2.3 b5. I have a couple of questions.
1. When the actual release comes, and Knox downloads and installs that release, do I have to go into preferences and turn of the beta selection to stop getting the beta updates or will the public release automatically do this?
2. What are the password rules for the vaults? I am switching over to using 1Password for the passwords to the vaults.

Thanks.

Comments

• Andrew_AGAndrew_AG

Team Member
    edited November 2014
    1. You will almost certainly have to disable the beta selection yourself.
    2. I'm not certain I understand the question. Do you mean whether there are any restrictions on characters that can be used in the vault password?
    1. OK. I think I can manage that. Is this before or after the install of the release version?
    2. Yes, are there any restrictions on characters and total number of characters?
  • MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Hi @Steve_H,

1. After the regular update is installed, you can uncheck the option to avoid getting the beta updates. Beta versions do get stable updates, so you'd have time to uncheck the option.
    2. No restrictions on characters but there is a length limitation, I can't find the info in the command used to create the vault. It is not unreasonable, we're talking something like 100 or more.
  • Thanks Mike. Working great!. One more little question if you don't mind;

after the vault has been created and populated, is there any way to see if the encryption is 256-bit or 128-bit?

Team Member
    edited November 2014

Hi @Steve_H,

Updated: There isn't a way to get that info.

• Steve_HSteve_H
    edited November 2014

I am not the brightest bulb on the block when it comes to some computer stuff, but, here is the info.plist.
    size

Team Member
    edited November 2014

Hi @Steve_H,

Sorry, that's my fault, I misunderstood the size in the plist. It is actually referring to the size of the vault, not the key size.

I tried several commands and unfortunately, there isn't a way to get the key size for the encryption. I also google'd this and it appears that there isn't a solid way to get this information from Apple's sparsebundle files.

128 bits is still very strong to use and generally, there is no need to switch to 256 bits unless you want to make it a bit stronger.

• Steve_HSteve_H
    edited November 2014

Not a big deal. Just glad that the gray hair isn't winning. This would also explain why a sparse bundle that I was using made with Disk Utility had a 1 Gig number. :D

Team Member

:smiley: Unfortunately, there's no gray hair left on my head to win, or any hair.... :disappointed:

This discussion has been closed.