How many iDevices can sync with 1Password for Mac at the same time?

romad
romad
Community Member
edited November 2014 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
  • iMac: Mac OS 10.7.5 running 1Password for Mac 3.8.22

iDevices:

• iPhone 3GS w/ iOS for iPhone 6.1.6 & 1Password for iOS 3.7.2;
  • iPad 3 w/iOS for iPad 6.1.3 & 1Pasword for iOS 3.7.2;
  • iPhone 6 w/ iOS for iPhone 8.1 & 1Password for iOS 3.7.2;
  • iPad Mini 3 w/ iOS for iPhone 8.1 & 1Password for iOS 3.7.2.

I can sync only one iPad and one iPhone at the same time; it doesn't matter which iPad or which iPhone I use (iPhone 6 and iPad 3 OR iPad Mini or iPhone 3GS and iPad 3 OR iPad Mini). I cannot sync both iPads or both iPhones at the same time. Since I've never had the hardware to sync more than 1 iPhone and 1 iPad, this is the first I've run into this. It isn't a problem as I won't be using the older iPhone & iPad that frequently, but it surprised me that there seems to be a limit to only one of each type at a time.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romad‌ I've moved your query to where I think is a more appropriate location given you don't seem to be running v4 or above on any device. I believe pretty much all syncing is quite different in version 3 so don't want inappropriate suggestions getting in your way. It's been a long time since I've run 1Password 3 so I personally won't be much use to you I think, especially as I also haven't owned anywhere near that many devices before (or ever). The one thing I do wonder is does each one have its own unique name so there isn't any confusion when you're viewing them on a network?

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

The names are: Dennis's iPhone 3GS, Dennis's iPad 3, Dennis's iPhone 6, Dennis's iPad Mini 3 (I just let iTunes name them). You may be on to something here where 1Password only looks at the first two words of a name. However, as I said, it isn't a problem; rather it was just a curiosity since I never had the luxury of being able to sync more than 2 devices at a time before.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romad,

I've edited your initial post just to make it a bit easier to see your list of devices. :) Thanks so much for including all the version information, it makes this a lot easier to sort out.

I'll admit, I'm in a similar boat to @littlebobbytables‌ - it's been a while since I've played with version 3, and I don't have multiple iDevices around right now to test the unique name theory. Unfortunately, the Wi-Fi sync available in version 3 is a bit limited, which is why our developers have been working to completely re-design it for version 5.

If you're keen on trying to get all devices synced up at once, I'm curious to know if changing the names of your devices might get them all listed there.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

I finally had time to try this with different names on the devices and it did not make any difference because changing the name on the device did NOT change the name in 1Password! However, I've thought of another reason as to why I can't sync BOTH iPads or BOTH iPhones at the same time. Both the iPad Mini 3 and iPhone 6 were activated as replacement devices for the old iPad 3 and iPhone 3GS with the new hardware being "restored" from their predecessors backups. Thus 1Pwd4Mac "sees" both iPhones as the same device; ditto the iPad & iPad Mini.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romad,

I've talked to some of our technical gurus, and the consensus is that you should be able to get them all synced up at once.

Let's try this:

• Delete all the devices from the left-hand pane in 1Password for Mac
    • Re-name the devices so they each have a nice, unique title
    • Resync

Does this get all your devices displaying in the sidebar? We've tested here, and it seems to work just fine. I hope it works for you as well!

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

OK, I tried your suggestion.
    1. Renamed iPhone 6 to just 6
    2. Renamed iPhone 3GS to just 3GS
    3. Renamed iPad 3 to just 3
    4. Renamed iPad Mini 3 to just Mini
    5. All four showed up in 1Password for Mac 3
    6. I had to authenticate one of the iPhones and one of the iPads
    7. All synced, HOWEVER
    8. Mini & 3GS display the following: Device type as "Unknown" and WiFi Status as "Not Authorized (Allow New Connections in Settings > Sync > Wi-Fi)"
    9. Shut down 1Pwd4M and then relaunched.
    10. Only 1 iPad device and only 1 iPhone device display
    11. Bottom line is that Yes, I was able to initially sync all four devices TEMPORARILY until 1Password for Mac realized that I had 2 iPads and 2 iPhones syncing and disconnected one of each.

As I've said before this is NOT a problem and I can work with it. Since my primary iDevices are the iPhone 6 and iPad Mini 3, I do not have to sync the 3GS and I don't see a need to frequently sync the iPad 3. As far as I'm concerned, we can close this.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romad,

I'm so sorry that this process hasn't been easy for you! I'm glad to hear that you can work with things the way they are currently, but I really wish we had a better solution for you. Unfortunately, the Wi-Fi sync available in 1Password 3 is something that our developers were never quite happy with, which is why it was completely re-written for 1Password 4.

If you do have any further questions or concerns, we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.