1Password shortcut no longer being recognized by Chrome 64bit [Resolved - configure firewall/proxy]

Options
abodnar
abodnar
Community Member
edited December 2014 in Mac

I noticed recently that 1Password's shortcut command-\ is no longer displaying the mini menu.

When I attempt to use the extension in OSX's menubar, it asks to install the Chrome Extension(which is already installed). If I try to use 1Password's icon in Chrome's bar, it gives me the "Cannot Fill Item in Web Browser" dialog warning. I've tried restarting Chrome incase it was waiting for an update, but it didn't matter. I've also tried removing the extension and reinstalling with no success.

I am currently running version 39.0.2171.62 beta (64-bit).

Any ideas?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @abodnar‌

There are three configurable keyboard shortcuts for 1Password, which you can find in 1Password's preferences in the General tab. The defaults have ⌘\ as Fill Login on current web page which would use the extension while ⌥⌘\ is for Show 1Password mini.

Do you know if Chrome updated itself to that version recently at all? I'm wondering if a new version has broken compatibility with our extension.

What might be worth trying is to uninstall our extension from Chrome, reboot your system and then see if re-installing it works.

If it doesn't please do post back here and we'll look deeper into it.

• abodnar
    abodnar
    Community Member
    Options

Fill Login does not work, it gives the bong noise when I use the key combination. Show 1Password mini displays the window, but it doesn't display any site and asks me to install Chrome extension.

It looks like it updated on the 11th.

I tried uninstalling and rebooting, no luck.

• ghg
    ghg
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having this issue. Reinstallation, rebooting, nothing has seemed to work. Any ideas?

• I just downloaded the latest Chrome Beta (39.0.2171.62 beta (64-bit)), and 1Password is responding correctly for both cmd-\ and cmd-opt-\ here.

Are you sure that you're using the latest version of the 1Password Chrome Extension? I see the extension connecting here and passing all of our validation in 1Password. Are you using 1Password from the Mac App Store, or from our website? I'm doing my tests here with the App Store build, which should be the more restrictive of the two.

Can you confirm that 1Password works correctly in Safari on your system, or in a non-beta version of Chrome?

Rick

• abodnar
    abodnar
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running version 4.2.5.90 of the Chrome Extension.

My version is from the website.

Yes, 1Password works in Safari without issues and does work fine in a non-beta version of Chrome.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @abodnar‌,

Thanks for confirming those details for us! I'm glad to hear that 1Password is behaving properly in both Safari and the non-beta version of Chrome. While we do our best to ensure that 1Password plays nicely with the beta versions of browsers, because things can change so quickly in a beta, we do recommend that users stick with the latest stable version of the browser whenever possible.

That being said, I'll pass these details along to our filling gurus and see if they can reproduce anything wonky in Chrome's beta.

• abodnar
    abodnar
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I switched to the beta cause there is a 64bit version. Hopefully this gets resolved before it's released.

• abodnar
    abodnar
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, just updated to Chrome 39 non-beta that was released today. It is exhibiting the same behavior I saw with the beta.

• FishingAddict
    FishingAddict
    Community Member
    Options

I just read that Chrome 39 (64-bit) was released today and will replace ALL Chrome versions on the Mac (including the current 32-bit version). There will be no 32-bit version available any more. My chrome version has not updated itself yet and therefore I'm not going to close Chrome until I can confirm that it plays well with 1Password.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello guys,

I just tested using Google Chrome Version 39.0.2171.65 (64-bit) using 1Password 5 from the web store and the Chrome Extension 4.2.5.90 and and 1Password mini works as expected when using ⌘\ and ⌥⌘.

It is quite possible that there is something else interfering between the 1Password Chrome Extension and 1Password mini. Could it be a firewall or an antivirus or something blocking connections to local host?

We need to look deeper into it so please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com.  A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful.

Once we see the report we'll be able to better assist you.

Thanks so much!

Rad

• abodnar
    abodnar
    Community Member
    Options

No firewall running. I do have an antivirus(ClamXav), but it hasn't interfered.

I've emailed the diagnostic report.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @abodnar‌,

Thanks for replying so quickly and for sending us your diagnostic report :+1:

I will reply via email after analyzing your diagnostic report

Cheers!

Rad

ref: JXV-54361-536

• abodnar
    abodnar
    Community Member
    Options

So for anyone else who comes to this thread.

If you are running a proxy like GlimmerBlocker, Chrome appears to be triggering it which will cause 1Password to not respond. To resolve this, deactivate GlimmerBlocker, restart Chrome. Then check to see if 1Password works. If it does, then reactivate GlimmerBlocker and confirm that 1Password still works.

The other thing I've done and I haven't 100% confirmed resolves this, is add 127.0.0.1 to the "Bypass proxy settings for Hosts & Domains" text field in the Proxies section of your active network adapter.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @abodnar‌ I'm glad to hear Rad managed to get you up and running again.

• Frayzhe
    Frayzhe
    Community Member
    Options

I was having the same problem in Chrome (Safari works fine) and found this forum post. I run GlimmerBlocker on my Mac, and it does look like the latest version of the 1Password extension for Chrome doesn't play nice with this proxy. I found that adding 127.0.0.1 (the local machine) to the list of proxy bypasses for the network adapter (you have to enter this for each one, e.g. WiFi, ethernet, etc.) does fix the problem. Not sure if this issue relates to the latest version of Chrome or the 1P extension or both, but that does seem to be the cause.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Frayzhe,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about that! 1Password communicates with the browser extension through WebSockets over localhost 127.0.0.1, and a proxy can sometimes block that connection. So the solution you found is needed when that happens. That will be very helpful for anyone in a similar situation who finds this thread! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Confirming that abodnar's suggestion of

The other thing I've done and I haven't 100% confirmed resolves this, is add 127.0.0.1 to the "Bypass proxy settings for Hosts & Domains" text field in the Proxies section of your active network adapter.

resolves this.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @registered99‌

Thanks so much for confirming that!

For any other users running into this trouble, the solution is to Configure your proxy server or firewall to allow 127.0.0.1.

This discussion has been closed.