Multiple Chrome profiles not matching

Options
PNWmultisport
PNWmultisport
Community Member

I have two Chrome profiles (actually 3, one for child), one for myself as the administrator and the other for my wife on our iMac. At some point I changed the master password on my profile which works fine on my profile - as well as my Android phone app 1PW viewer. On my wife's Chrome profile, she seems to be stuck with the old version that opens with the original password, hence not accessing the same keychain and logins as on my "primary" profile. I'd like to be able to "share" the same version of 1Password with her profile. We both manage our household finances and logistics (with many of the same websites) yet prefer to use our own Chrome profiles while working on our iMac. Is there any way to make this happen or rectify the issue of seemingly two separate versions of 1PW across the two profiles? To further the question, I'd like to share the same MASTER 1PW with our shared iPad and both Android phones. THANKS!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

HI @PNWmultisport,

Let's try reinstalling the 1Password 4 browser extension for Chrome on your wife's Chrome profile.

Please follow these steps:

• Open Chrome.
    • Type chrome://extensions in the address bar and hit return.
    • Click the trash can next to the 1Password 4 extension and remove it.
    • Restart your Mac.
    • Launch Chrome and visit the following page: https://agilebits.com/browsers/index.html
    • Click the big green button, and confirm the installation.

Does 1Password accept the new Master Password now?

To further the question, I'd like to share the same MASTER 1PW with our shared iPad and both Android phones.

Ideally, your Master Password for your database should be the same for all your devices. To ensure that you only have to remember one password. :)

• PNWmultisport
    PNWmultisport
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi Megan (or whomever receives this), Sorry it's been a while since I've had the bandwidth to deal with this project and have actually made some modifications to how we have things setup. I'll break that down next but wanted to let you know I've scoured the forum to find my answer but with little success on actually solving my issues.

I have multiple profiles on my Mac, one for myself (administrator) and another for my wife - a third for our oldest child but I'll leave that out of the equation for now. We also both have Android phones and a single iPad with 1PW that have been working fine (until my most recent changes). My initial issue above with the 1PW app on my wife's Mac profile insists on taking only the old Master Password. However, the app on my Mac profile and our phones and iPad all take the new Master password. I can't seem to get her profile to install an app that will take our new password. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both the app and browser extensions on BOTH of our profiles trying to start over to no avail.

I recently changed to Safari from Chrome on both our Mac profiles and have the most current browser extensions. I've been using Dropbox for my Sync and recently set my wife up with her own DB account. I then "shared" my keychain folder with her and linked her 1PW app on her Mac profile to the shared DB folder (via Link share). This "seems to have" allowed her Mac profile 1PW app to sync cleanly with the same data (and recent changes I made in my app/keychain). Her Android phone is now failing to sync properly. I'm not certain what went wrong here...

In addition, can't seem to locate a tutorial on setting up (and understanding) "Shared Vaults" Your webpage clearly advertises and pitches the ability to create separate vaults and share/able them with family, coworkers and such all while easily syncing with DropBox. If you could either help me understand how to set this all up (from square one preferably) or a link to a COMPLETE tutorial, I would greatly appreciate it. I believe if I can understand this element, I'll be on my way and continue enjoying my 1Password.

Thank you for whatever assistance you can provide,
    PNW

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PNWmultisport‌

We do have a guide regarding Sharing a vault. Give it a read and let us know how complete you feel it is. If there are areas that you feel it needs improvement that's good for us to know :smile:

Saying that, if you've shared a folder between Dropbox accounts then you've already got all of the basics down - that's really they key part. The trick is to create a folder in Dropbox per vault you want to share (as you can't share files, just folders) and the one gotcha to watch out for is you can share a folder that's in an already shared folder e.g. you're sharing /Folder A but then you put a folder inside, so /Folder A/Folder B and want to share Folder B with somebody else.

So what's probably best is to have a 1Password folder and in there as many folders as vaults you want to share with other people. Then you'd share each folder in that 1Password folder separately.

As for your wife's Android phone. Assuming there are very few differences between the vault in Dropbox and the vault I'm thinking disabling sync on your Android phone and then re-enabling it, ensuring it is pointing to the correct agilekeychain and Dropbox account should hopefully take care of it. Please be aware that's a general suggestion if syncing isn't working so I don't know the specifics on how to do this on Android. If in any doubt please do say so here and I'll find an Android expert to help out.

Let us know how you get along either way though :smile:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @PNWmultisport‌

Great to hear from you again!

I can't seem to get her profile to install an app that will take our new password. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both the app and browser extensions on BOTH of our profiles trying to start over to no avail.

Just by way of explanation here: in 1Password, your datafile is stored in a separate location from the app and browser extensions, so reinstalling won't help you out here. (The reason we store your data separately is a security precaution in case the app was accidentally deleted - you wouldn't want your data to be deleted as well!)

This "seems to have" allowed her Mac profile 1PW app to sync cleanly with the same data (and recent changes I made in my app/keychain).

To confirm - is your wife's copy of 1Password using the correct Master Password now?

Her Android phone is now failing to sync properly. I'm not certain what went wrong here...

If you moved the 1Password.agilekeychain file when setting your wife up with her own Dropbox account, that could explain why her Android device is no longer syncing.

To get Android synced up again, we'll need to either reinstall the app or clear the data by going into Android device Settings > Apps > 1Password and tap "Clear data". Then you can set 1Password to sync up to the keychain in its new location in your wife's Dropbox.

In addition, can't seem to locate a tutorial on setting up (and understanding) "Shared Vaults"

Our documents team is still working on writing up an 'All-about-Shared-Vaults' document, but here are some of the basic ideas:

• Generally, your primary vault should hold all your personal details, the ones that you don't want to share with others.
    • Create as many secondary vaults as you would like to share your family and/or work details with co-workers.
    • Keep in mind that it's not always easy to un-share secrets: Revoking access to a shared vault
    • Once you have your secondary vault set up (1Password > New Vault) you can move items there using the Item > Share menu. There's also a 'Share' option in the menu when you right-click on selected items, so you can move a bunch of items all at once.
    • I would recommend using the 'Move' option in the Share menu: due to the way that items are encrypted, individual items cannot stay synced up between vaults. For example, if I copy my Netflix Login into my family vault and then I make a change to the item and update it in my primary vault, that change will not sync to my family vault. So, it's generally easier if items live in only one vault.
    • There are instructions on how to share a non-primary vault available in our user guide.

EDIT:

One further detail about multiple vaults that bears mentioning is that, no matter how many vaults you add, you still only need to remember the Master Password of your primary vault.

1Password's new multiple vault feature was designed so that you still only have to remember one password, no matter how many vaults you create. Your primary vault holds the encryption keys for all of your secondary vaults. This means that unlocking your primary vault will give you quick and easy access to all of your data, regardless of which vault it is stored in.

However, you still can unlock a secondary vault on its own. In the main app, use 1Password > Switch Vault menu. (In the 1Password mini, click on the lock image on the lock screen to select the secondary vault.) Please note that when you unlock the secondary vault alone, all other vaults will remain locked. You won't be able to copy items between vaults, and you will need to enter your Master Password to view another vault.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

This discussion has been closed.