First Section Title and Field Names Not Displayed Properly In Server Items

Options
Penelope Pitstop
Penelope Pitstop
Community Member
edited November 2014 in iOS

If I create a Server item on the Mac and change the first section title and some of the field names then they don't make it over to iOS.

Note the missing section title and names for the first two fields on the iOS are different. If you add additional fields to the section then the field names do seem to propagate to iOS.

Further section titles and field names are displayed properly. It seems that iOS is treating the first section title, and first two fields specially somehow.

Comments

• Hi @Penelope Pitstop‌,

Can you tell me the 1Password versions you're using on both iOS and Mac? Also, which sync option you're using?

The default template names cannot be changed, if you try to edit it, the sync will only update the values, not the field names.

If you want a custom field name, you should use a custom field instead of renaming the template's default password field.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi Mike,

OS X: Version 5.1.BETA-6 (510006), iOS: 5.1.2 (501203), Dropbox sync

If they are not supposed to be changed, why offer the ability to edit these things in the item?

• Hi @Penelope Pitstop‌,

If they are not supposed to be changed, why offer the ability to edit these things in the item?

It's a limitation of the Agile Keychain format, it should work for the upcoming OPVault format that we will start switching to in the near future. Sections and custom fields weren't originally built in the older Agile Keychain format (created back with 1Password 2), it is something we've planned for OPVault.

You're using this older format when you enable the sync with Dropbox and it converts the data into the older format.

If you use iCloud and/or Wi-Fi sync instead, it will then retain the values as we're not converting the data there.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Options

Ah I see. I understand iCloud sync doesn't work with the betas?

• Hi @Penelope Pitstop‌,

Correct, it doesn't work at the moment because the apps are offered outside of Apple's App Stores. Apple's working on improving their beta testing service, TestFlight, that'll be integrated better with their services such as iCloud.

If we can switch to TestFlight in the future for both of our iOS and OS X apps, it might be able to offer iCloud sync support because it'd be tested as beta versions of the iOS/Mac App Store versions of 1Password, not separate ones like right now.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I've started to use WiFi sync instead and it seems to work just great. As you say the section and field titles do sync.

With the new item layout in iOS build 502003 I notice that the section headers are displayed in capitals. So on the Mac I'm able to set a title of Startup Passwords but on iOS this is displayed as STARTUP PASSWORDS. Field names seem to display the capitalisation used in creation.

A deliberate design choice maybe but I think that display of user editable content should be as consistent as possible across platforms. Maybe using bold instead of capitalisation for emphasising section titles like the Mac does would be better?

I notice that when I edit the item on iOS, the correctly capitalised section name is being propagated.

• Thanks for writing in, Penelope! The capitalized section titles are actually a conscious design choice to fit in with the style of table views elsewhere in the system. That being said you do raise some good points and we'll consider reworking it.

This discussion has been closed.