Dropbox sync issue between iOS 5.0.1 & MacOS 4.4.1

MaxHedrm
MaxHedrm
Community Member

So, I was updating a password I had to change & noticed 2 versions of a similar login item. So, I made a mental note to combine them on the Mac when I got home (apparently only the Mac version allows entry of multiple URLs?). When I got home & checked, this second entry wasn't there. So I forced a sync. They still didn't match. It took a while, but I figured out I had 2 1Password.agilekeychain files on my dropbox. Ooops.

I turned off sync everywhere & deleted the agilekeychains and started over. Now, it seems things are still not right. I have 671 items on my mobile devices (the iPad & iPhone match just fine) and only 661 on the Mac. And that mystery missing login is still missing. Any suggestions? This is a bit frustrating.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MaxHedrm‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble keeping things synced up lately. I've got a few basic things that we want to check regarding Dropbox first, before we get into the serious troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that Dropbox is installed and running on your computer
    • Check that you are logged in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Confirm that Dropbox sync is selected in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac
    • Confirm that Dropbox is selected in Settings > Sync on your iOS device

If all of those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?
    • Log in to the Dropbox website and click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain folder
    • Enter your Master Password
    • Do either or any of your test entries show up in your database here?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• MaxHedrm
    MaxHedrm
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

So, I created 3 items, one per device.

Device -- old count -- new count

Mac -- 661 -- 665

iPad -- 671 -- 675

iPhone -- 671 -- 675

Web -- 671 -- 675

All the test items showed up in all the places.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@MaxHedrm Do you happen to have 10 items in your trash?

• MaxHedrm
    MaxHedrm
    Community Member

Nope.

& you seemed to have missed the whole "I found one that I know is missing" part.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MaxHedrm,

Thanks for doing that test for me! Since all the test items showed up in all the places, at least we know sync is working. Let's do a quick reset to get a fresh 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox. That should get all your devices matched up.

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• MaxHedrm
    MaxHedrm
    Community Member

I did that.

I turned off sync everywhere & deleted the agilekeychains and started over. Now, it seems things are still not right. I have 671 items on my mobile devices (the iPad & iPhone match just fine) and only 661 on the Mac. And that mystery missing login is still missing.

Though, I did notice last night when testing that there was a .ws.agile.1Password.settings file in the root of the Dropbox that I don't remember deleting, so it's possible I didn't get everything. I will try it again this evening.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MaxHedrm‌

If resetting sync isn't working, we'll need to take a closer look at your system to determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• MaxHedrm
    MaxHedrm
    Community Member

Resyncing now.

Just curious, is getting "Failed to download file from Dropbox..." and "Failed to list remote data folder..." normal when first syncing? it eventually retries & gets it all.

• MaxHedrm
    MaxHedrm
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

So, same results from resetting syncing again. I may dry to delete the Dropbox data from the Mac without disconnecting one of the iOS devices first. That should at least tell me what items aren't syncing up to Dropbox.

But not until tomorrow, it's been a long day. :) Thanks for your help.

• FrankM7885
    FrankM7885
    Community Member

I noticed the same issue where the two iOS devices sync fine and the two Macs sync fine between each other but iOS to Mac does not sync at all. I am not using Dropbox for sync as I am using iCloud.
    I have the same versions as mentioned above and I am quite annoyed as I now do not know the authoritative source any more as I made entries on both platforms and even created new accounts, changed passwords etc. without knowing how long this has been going on.
    In my case it looks likes this:
    Computers = 640 iOS Devices = 626
    The discrepancy is across multiple groups.
    Very annoying :(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@FrankM7885‌ As you're running iOS 8 and 1Password 5 iOS then your issues are quite different to those of MaxHedrm‌'s. I suggest this sticky in the iOS section as a place to start. Sadly it isn't great news, essentially your options are Dropbox, WiFi sync or to wait for Apple to release Yosemite and 1Password 5 OS X by AgileBits (they're waiting on Apple too).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MaxHedrm‌,

I'm so sorry that this is turning into a bit of a process for you. As soon as you get tired of testing, please follow the instructions that I linked to above and send us some Reports. That will help our team determine where things are getting tangled up!

Hi @FrankM7885‌,

I just wanted to chime in here and offer my apologies for the trouble. As @littlebobbytables‌ says, iCloud sync is a bit complicated at the moment. The details in the post he linked to should tell you what you need to know, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• MaxHedrm
    MaxHedrm
    Community Member

I am finally getting back to this. I just sent support my logs. :smile: I am still off by 10, even having upgraded to 5.0.2 on the Mac & 5.1.2 on the iOS devices.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MaxHedrm,

We received the Diagnostics Report you sent, thanks! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible about that.

ref: AQC-41115-567

This discussion has been closed.