Google Drive Integration [Under consideration, no ETAs]

mverde
edited June 2014 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: Google Drive Support.

Comments

• brotbert
    brotbert
    Community Member

I'd love to see Google Drive integrated into 1Password iOS.

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

Hi @brotbert,

Thanks for your vote, I've added it to our list. We have many plans for adding more sync support including Google Drive in the future. Especially since we just released 1Password 4.x for Android where many people have asked for the same thing.

However, at the moment, we can't promise anything nor share any information. We'll release more information as soon as we're ready and we'd love to ask our beta users to help us test more sync services.

• andreloja
    andreloja
    Community Member

I'm waiting eagerly for the Google Drive support. I just switched from Dropbox (very expensive for my small business) and now I'm left with no sync solution with my coworkers! :(

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

Hi @andreloja‌,

If you're using 1Password on Mac or Windows, you can use Google Drive to sync your data with your coworkers and then sync your data from there to your iOS devices via Wi-Fi.

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

Just another vote for Google drive support - we've made both available to our company and while were don't offer iOS or android versions, we do get questions about what sync services they're allowed to use as we haven't blessed either Dropbox or iCloud for company data (which we expect and hope to be stored in 1password). Drive support would be awesome in both iOS and android (would it need additional support in mac/win or just use the drive app there?)

• Hi @jpayne,

Thanks for sharing your use case with us!

Would it need additional support in mac/win or just use the drive app there?

The desktop apps can use the Drive folder to store the data in. The 1Password 4 for Mac has Folder Sync where you can just point it to your Drive folder. As for Windows, you can just move the folder to the Drive folder and have 1Password open it directly from there.

The support we need to add is in the mobile apps since there is no file system there on iOS to select the folder. I've added your vote to our tracker for Google's Drive support.

In the meantime, if you only have the iOS devices, you can technically move your data file to the Drive folder on the desktops and use the Wi-Fi sync to sync your data between the iOS devices and your Macs/PCs.

• x2ky3KRw0mgny
    x2ky3KRw0mgny
    Community Member

Google Drive support needs to be prioritized, I am losing faith in the privacy and security of my data on DropBox:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2455215/edward-snowden-dropbox-is-hostile-to-privacy.html#tk.rss_all

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

Hi @x2ky3KRw0mgny‌,

You do know that Google is on that list of PRISM partners, right? Changing to Drive wouldn't change anything, it's the same risk between Drive and Dropbox, OneDrive, and many other sync services.

SpiderOak would be awesome to support but the way they use the zero-knowledge setup means it is not possible for us to add them as a sync option.

• x2ky3KRw0mgny
    x2ky3KRw0mgny
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

I give up, everything is hacked, monitored, tracked..ect gg iquit.

• Hi @x2ky3KRw0mgny‌,

In your case, I'd suggest switching to using the Wi-Fi sync, which isolates your data to your home network and not stored anywhere in the cloud.

• x2ky3KRw0mgny
    x2ky3KRw0mgny
    Community Member

Excellent point @MikeT‌ thanks.

• You're welcome. We have a lot of planned improvements coming for the Wi-Fi sync in the near future. It currently does have a few big limitations but we'll remove those as soon as possible.

• jpayne
    jpayne
    Community Member

Please note that not all enterprise wifi networks allow client to client communication.
    It'd be awesome if there was a way to do wifi sync with the new continuity stuff in 8 and Yosemite (but that of course leaves windows and android the cold)

• Hi @jpayne,

Please note that not all enterprise wifi networks allow client to client communication.

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it. It's not just Wi-Fi, we have companies intentionally blocking Dropbox, iCloud, and other cloud services.

We've tried USB sync in the past but it could not be worked around due to OS X/iOS limitations.

It'd be awesome if there was a way to do wifi sync with the new continuity stuff in 8 and Yosemite (but that of course leaves windows and android the cold)

Not just Windows and Android, older iOS and Mac users as well. We're not looking into continuity at the moment but we'll see what it can do later in the future. It is possible it doesn't change much from the Wi-Fi sync in enterprise networks and you'd see the same blockage, since it uses a mix of iCloud, Bluetooth LE and/or Wi-Fi connection.

• delitescere
    delitescere
    Community Member

+1 for Google Drive.

I'd love to see transparent GPG integration in the 1Password clients so the data stream and file-at-rest for synchronizing to a networked drive is encrypted independently of transport or service provider options, and totally under the user's control.

• MikeT
    edited September 2014

Hi @delitescere,

I'm not sure what you mean by transparent GPG integration. Your data file is already encrypted before any syncing process is even initialized. No decrypted data is transmitted anywhere and anyhow. The only time an item is decrypted is when you unlock with 1Password and select it, we minimize any decryption of your data to what you're seeing, which means at the bare minimal, only one item at a time is decrypted.

• Basel Almaie
    Basel Almaie
    Community Member

+1 more vote for google drive
    i am really waiting for google drive support
    i am using 3 version of 1password 4

1.IOS
    2.WINDOWS
    3.MAC
    and i am waiting to sync everything my gmail account
    so please do it

thank you

• Hi @Basel Almaie‌,

Thanks for your vote, I'll add it to our list that already includes everybody else's vote here.

Just to let you know in case you want a way to do this now, you can use the 1Password for Mac app's Folder Sync to sync with Google Drive and 1Password for Windows can read that file directly within Google Drive's folder. If you need to sync to 1Password on the iOS devices, you can use the Wi-Fi sync to sync between the iOS and desktop apps. It's a bit more hassle but it lets you avoid using other cloud services.

• tomanc
    tomanc
    Community Member

+1 vote for Google drive support. I always have to open up my dropbox folder when I want to sync my data from my computer to my device. I don't like having dropbox run at startup because I simply only use it to store my 1password chain. Google drive however I constantly use and it is always open making it a simple sync process between my computer and android device. thanks!

• Hi @Tomanc,

If you don't have an iOS device, you can use the Folder Sync in both Android and Mac apps to sync your 1Password data via Google Drive, no Dropbox is needed.

• ebelin
    ebelin
    Community Member

+1 to Google Drive

My use case is not to protect from NSA and friends - but hackers. Have faith in Google much more than my wifi or Dropbox. Plus company policy. Can we haz gDrive on Android, plz?

• MikeT
    edited October 2014

Hi @ebelin,

In the Android app, there is support for local Folder Sync. If you sync your 1Password folder to Google Drive and it is accessible on your device's local storage, 1Password on Android can sync with that.

• Maroder
    Maroder
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

+1 to Google Drive Support

I'm solemnly using Dropbox for 1Password to sync from Windows to iOS to Mac (and soon to Android, too). I really would like to switch from Dropbox to Google Drive, as it is more integrated into the Google EcoSystem (Google Apps for Work), which I am currently using.

• Hi @Maroder‌,

Thanks for your vote. It would be nice for us to support all the native solutions on the platforms we support.

If you really need to get rid of Dropbox, you can use Folder Sync in the Mac app to put the data file on Google Drive to sync between Windows and Mac while using the Wi-Fi sync between iOS and Mac/Windows. It's a bit easier in 1Password 5 for iOS to do this.

• Leventym
    Leventym
    Community Member

+1 for Google Drive support

• Thanks, @Leventym! I've added your vote.

This discussion has been closed.