Addtional vault sync with iPhone

Jacek
Jacek
Community Member

I have added new vault on my Mac and would like to sync (or send) it to my iPhone. I know that I cannot sync it via icloud (only main vault can do it). Unfortunately when I switch to my second vault I cannot sync/send with my iPhone via wifi option due to the fact that this option does not show up anymore. I do not have dropbox and do not intend to have it. Is there any solution to that problem?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jacek‌

At the moment I'm afraid synchronisation of secondary vaults is limited to Dropbox. Now we do have additional Wi-Fi sync functionality in our latest betas but we don't have a timeframe for when they will be released. As you can imagine with something like this we need to make sure we get it right.

If you're able to wait then we should be able to offer you what you're looking for at some point in the future. I have my own convoluted workaround for syncing two vaults on a Mac with an iPhone via Wi-Fi but it relies on everything in the secondary vault being tagged with tags unique to it i.e. tags not present in the primary vault. If that's something you'd like to hear about I can let you know what I do.

• Jacek
    Jacek
    Community Member

Hi,
    Well, in my case that won't work. I am a bit disappointed but it looks like I have to wait. I must have separate vaults for work and for home use. Now, there is another issue that is totally frustrating and ticking me really off. So far I have been using Keepassx and MiniKeepass and it used to work pretty good, however it does not have sync via iCloud. Not a big deal but it was one of the reason I am trying to switch to 1password. I have just setup up a main vault on my wife's computer with the password that she made up.
    After a couple of days she forgot the password. The vault is empty so I thought I just delete it and set up new one. Well, I cannot not delete the vault without typing in previous password. I deleted 1password off my MB Air and deleted all files in accordance with your instructions in the internet but to no avail. I am really shocked that there is no option for reseting vault or uninstalling the program including all data and vaults to start it again from scratch. I spend 2-3 hours trying to apply most of your hints on your support web page but it doesn't seem to work at all. Such things are even simple in Windows environment and in Mac OS it is supposed to be a peanut but now for me is a major problem since I cannot run 1password without knowing the password to the vault that I do not remember and as a result cannot reset, delete or whatever else what makes now 1password for me totally useless.
    Any suggestions?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

@Jacek‌

If your interested in starting things over on her machine see here. Help topic * This start over will remove anything in the vault with no way to get it back. Just be warned.

One thing the wife and I do are place our respective password's inside each others vault so if one forgets the other has access and can retrieve that password.

I hear you on Dropbox and its a viable work around if you wanted to got that route for even a short period of time.

The good thing is if you used Dropbox just for syncing the only data that would be present is your agilekeychain . That keychain is encrypted just like it is on the iCloud servers, so there is really no difference IMHO. Its protected at all times by your Master Password. There are users all the time who only use Dropbox for 1Password syncing and thats all. You may not wish to go that route but thought I would mention it.

I know some differ in there belief about iCloud and Dropbox. In all honesty this is how I started out with Dropbox years ago. I steadfastly refused to use it for anything but 1Password syncing. Over time that has changed for myself.

Anyway just a few thoughts. Wifi syncing for additional vaults will debut, but as littlebobbytables mentioned, its not known when. :(

Cheers,

• Jacek
    Jacek
    Community Member

I have come across that Help topic before. The bottom line is that I did that couple of time including removing app from my computer and it does not work! Every time I start 1password it keeps on asking me for the password. There was a vault with no data so I just want to delete primary vault and create a new one from scratch and that for some reason seems to impossible to do. I have been professionally working with computers for nearly 30 years now (starting from punch cards) and I think I can follow simple instructions unless there is something that I miss (learned from my experience that I cannot exclude). That is why I am so frustrated right now due to the fact that in my opinion setting a new primary vault should be a very simple procedure.
    About Dropbox, I have never used it and do not see any reason to start using it because 1password does not have functionality that in my opinion should have to begin with so thank you for your suggestion but no thanks. I do hope that someone from Agilebits will finally be able to help me with this problem.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

HI @Jacek‌

Since Mountain Lion I believe, caching is quite aggressive in OS X so the rebooting step in the instructions is important. Similarly, if you don't quit both 1Password and 1Password mini (my preferred method is ⌃⌘Q) and 1Password mini is left running removing the support files may be for naught.

The last option is if you've been using 1Password 3 or both the Web Store and MAS version of 1Password 4/5 on this computer, it may be finding the support files for one of the other versions and trying to be helpful by importing the data.

In that instance I'd follow both the Web Store and MAS parts of the Starting Over guide and it's worth checking to see if you have the following folder ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ If you do then move that too.

At that point it really shouldn't be finding an existing vault.

• Jacek
    Jacek
    Community Member

Hi. Thank you very much for you help. It worked OK (i.e. deleting 1Password folder). Additionally I had to delete vault from iCloud but I found how to do it in your knowledge base. I am very pleased with your very fast response to my problem and my initial irritation goes into oblivion now. My wife is happy to and I am back computer wiz again :-). By the way, I should've mentioned it at the very beginning - I have 1P5 on Yosemite OS.
    Your tech support is just great !!! Keep on.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jacek‌ I'm glad to hear we've got it all running properly :smile: I'm going to close this thread but if you have any questions or issues in the future we'll be here.

This discussion has been closed.