Many Difficulties

rdlink
rdlink
Community Member
edited November 2014 in Mac

I just bought the App store version of 1Password for my Mac, and am having all kinds of issue. First off, let me start out by saying that some of the issues I am experiencing are huge factors in the reason why I have been so hesitant to purchase a password manager before. iCloud Keychain works fabulously for almost all of the logins I need, and it's included with all of my Apple products for free. However, it experiences the same issues that the other password managers seem to have with certain types of websites, and I have been unable to find suitable answers to fix those issues with iCould Keychain. I have been unable to justify purchasing a product that has the same limitations with certain websites as iCloud Keychain, and costs money. However, I have been reading some of your tech support forums, and I decided that you are at least trying to find answers to some of these challenges, so I jumped off the cliff and spent the $35 for the app. So far, my issues are many and frustrating:

First of all, I have numerous cards that are backed by, and whose login sites are managed by Citibank. Some of them are bank cards, and others (most) are affinity cards from retailers. This causes one of my biggest frustrations, because of the way Citi handles the sites. I know that their practices are not Agile Bits' fault, but I am hoping that you have some suggestions. The problem is that, since Citi automatically sends me to a quasi-citi branded site, no matter what card I use, the saved passwords and user IDs get confused, and I often end up having to manually enter the information. This, of course causes me to have to keep less secure passwords than I want, thereby eliminating one of the biggest reasons for my wanting a password manager in the first place. After much trial and error with three of my cards, I finally am able to get them to work, but the workaround is not ideal. I have choses a secure password for one of the sites, and used that same password in all three sites. Again, defeating one of my reasons for using a password manager. True, the password is secure, but I would much rather have separate passwords for the sites. I am hoping that you have some tips, or proven results for dealing with this very annoying issue. Again, I know this is mainly a byproduct of the idiotic and shortsighted way that Citi manages their online access site, but that doesn't change the fact that the difficulties make buying a password manager hard to justify.

Second, when I log into two pages sites I am having various difficulties. One of those sites is Lowes. I set up the site per your instructions for two page sites. Everything seems to work fine, except on the second page. Once I click submit (it's not clicking automatically for some reason) it takes me to a blank page. Refreshing the page does nothing to bring it up. Also, on the Bank of America site (which is the one that you guys use to illustrate setting up the two page login) I get to the second page and the password will not fill in automatically. I can type it in, but of course that is not what I bought a password manager for.

Can you please help me to address these very large issues, so that I can justify my purchase of your products? I am running Yosemite on my Macs, using Safari as the web browser. iOS 8.1.1 on my iPhone. Thanks.

Comments

• rdlink
    rdlink
    Community Member

Okay, the Lowes site now seems to load the page, and no longer shows the blank pages. However, it still doesn't automatically submit on the password page, so help with that would be appreciated. Thanks.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I'm not sure if this helps at all, as I don't entirely understand your problem.

But you can always rename the login, so that you have "Citi Visa card", "Target MasterCard" and so on, as the names. Will that avoid the confusion for you?

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member

@danco‌

I go ever further. My wife and I have separate accounts for some sites that require a 2-page login so I've got XYZ Bank Carol #1, XYZ Bank Carol #2, XYZ Bank George #1 and XYZ Bank George #2. It's not too bad, especially when I want to choose a #2. 1Password highlights the correct one for me.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rdlink‌

It's pretty much a cat and mouse game. There isn't such a thing as a standard login page and if you were to look at the code of some of these you'd probably be horrified. Our advantage probably is because AgileBits is almost completely dedicated to 1Password we have people who do almost nothing but think about how to make pages work. Despite that it's still a fight.

and the worst offenders are typically banks.

What we like to do is, as you find sites that aren't working, if you can create a thread for a single site and let us know the URL in question. We can investigate and come up with a solution. The single site per thread we find helps to keep it focussed (good for us to help you, good for you in following the thread and the solutions contained).

You mentioned, Lowes, Citibank and Bank of America. If you could pick one and supply the URL you need to work we can take it from there. In some of these we may need somebody from that country to better assist you, as a resident in the UK I'm not with either bank. Let us know where to start :smile:

• rdlink
    rdlink
    Community Member

Hi. Thanks for reply. Let's consider the Lowes issue resolved for now, as the password page appears to be filling in my password. We'll turn this thread into the Bank of America thread. I have BoA set up correctly as a two page site, and it all works, except for the fact that my password will not automatically fill in on the password page. I can copy it and paste it in, but obviously that is a bit of a pain. Any help with troubleshooting that would be appreciated. I will open a different topic on the Citi issue. Thanks

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@rdlink‌

If I recall correctly, on that page you need to place your cursor in the password field before filling. I haven't been a BOA customer in years. But that one comes to mind first when you mention issues with the password prompt.

• kbkbkbkb
    kbkbkbkb
    Community Member

Yeah I have similar problems

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rdlink‌ & @kbkbkbkb‌

That one is a tough one for me to check out as I'm not in the right country. I've asked one of the other knowledgeable people here though and what they're telling me as a BoA customer themselves is if you follow our guide for Creating a multi-page Login you should end up with a fully working Login. They say they've created and re-created it a large number of times and the procedure continues to work for them.

So can you do me a favour. Can you read that particular page and follow the steps for me please. Create a new Login item separate from the one you've already made. If something goes wrong please make a note of which step you were at, and how it diverges from what the guide says to expect and we'll get our BoA guy to interject with advice/suggestions.

Hopefully that will sort out that site but do please let us know either way.

• rdlink
    rdlink
    Community Member

Hi littlebobbytables,

Thanks again for your reply. I just went through the procedures on the page that you linked above. I had done this three other times with these same results, BTW. My steps:

I copied the login password for BoA to a text document on my machine. I then removed the existing login for BoA. I then deleted all cookies related to BoA from my browser, just to make sure I was being as clean as possible. I then created the multi-page login per the instructions, copying and pasting the password from the text document on my computer. I received no errors, and everything behaved exactly as the instructions illustrated they should. I then closed the BoA website, and clicked the login in my Safari web extension. It filled in my user information on the first page, then automatically took me to the second (password) page. Once there, my password information did not get entered automatically. I copied the password, and pasted it into the dialog that would not populate automatically, and it logged me into BoA just fine.

So, everything still seems to work except the population of the password.

• rdlink
    rdlink
    Community Member

BTW: In the interest of thorough testing, I just deleted the last login I created, and created two separate ones. One for the User ID page, named BoA 1st, and the other for the password page, named BoA 2nd. Clicking on each of them individually, at the appropriate time does work.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rdlink‌

That last post of yours, that's what we call the if-all-else-fails approach and sometimes it is required (some sites just don't want to play nicely). Still, what I'm being told is we should be able to make it work with a single Login item with BoA. Lets see if @khad‌ has any thoughts on this.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Just for the record, I have a single login for BofA that works fine. On the username page I have to manually click to continue after 1PW has entered the name, though.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

@danco, thanks for confirming a single BofA Login item works for you! :)

@rdlink‌, I had an idea about something you mentioned:

It filled in my user information on the first page, then automatically took me to the second (password) page. Once there, my password information did not get entered automatically.

This is actually correct behavior, because there are two separate login pages on that site - one login page for the username, and a second login page for the password. Even if you have the username and password saved in the same Login item, you'll need to take an action on each login page to have 1Password fill your data.

When you choose the Login item from the 1Password extension, that action fills the username field on the first page. On the second page, you need to select the Login item again (or use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut), and that action will fill the password field.

Multi-page logins can be tricky, but I hope this helps to clear up the confusion! If you have more questions about that, please let us know. :)

• rdlink
    rdlink
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, Drew_AG, but that doesn't quite seem correct. Several people have said that theirs works fine (fills in the password) and other two page sites fill in the password automatically on the second page. I certainly don't mind having to hit enter at the password page to have it send the data, but it seems odd to me that it won't even populate the password dialog until I run the login again. BTW: I tested your theory, and you're correct. Making a single, two page login vs two separate ones, then executing the login again at the password page does work. But again, it would seem to me that the login would at least populate the password field, if not finish the login.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rdlink,

Several people have said that theirs works fine (fills in the password) and other two page sites fill in the password automatically on the second page.

I think that there's been some miscommunication here. When people mention that their Bank of America Login is filling their password correctly, I imagine that they mean it is doing so once they invoke the extension using ⌘\ ( Command- \ ). At this time, 1Password has no way to determine that you attempting to fill on a two-page Login. So, when your username is filled and submitted on the first page, 1Password considers its job done. This is why it requires the ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) prompt on the second page to fill again.

I hope this helps to explain things - if you have further questions, we're here to help!

• rdlink
    rdlink
    Community Member

Thanks, Megan. If it is, in fact true that people mean that they're able to get it to work by invoking the hot key command that's fine. But the logic doesn't seem to hold true. Lowe's is also a two page login, and 1Password has no problem realizing that I intend to put a password in on the second page. It does it with no issues whatsoever.

Now, if you're saying that it's a coding issue on BoA's site in particular that causes the issue I can live with that. But the statement that 1Password has no way to determine that I am attempting to fill on a two-page login can't possibly be true when it works on one site but not another.

I'm sorry to keep pushing back on this, and I truly appreciate the helpful, friendly and patient replies. But this is a new product for me. I've paid $35 for the Mac version, and I have to make a decision on whether to invest another $10 in the iOS version, and then whatever the price of the Windows version is. It's also a big leap of faith for me to walk away from literally years of building a database of logins in iCloud Keychain, when it works pretty seamlessly, for the most part with all of my Apple products (Save for some of the issues I experienced that caused me to try 1Password).

Thanks, again for your helpful replies. I hope that someone who sees this and uses BoA can verify whether they have to invoke the hot key on the second page to get the password to fill in.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

For me, the BofA situation is as follows.

1. Go to login page, and use the 1PW shortcut. This fills in my username, but does not submit, so I have to press the submit button on the page.

2. This takes me to the page showing my security image, where a password is asked for. I have to use the 1PW shortcut again, and this time it fills in the password and submits it automatically.

• rdlink
    rdlink
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Thanks, Danco. I have a slightly different behavior. When I use the BoA shortcut, it takes me to the first page, inserts my user name, then takes me to the second page. No password fills in on the second page until I invoke the shortcut again. Then it fills in the pw and logs me in.

For your particular situation, I suspect the issue that is keeping you from getting it to progress from page one to page two is the fact that you have saved your user id on the BoA website, instead of within 1PW.

I think you may be able to get automatic fill-in, and progress to the second page if you do this:

• Close any pages that are open for BoA's website
    • Delete your cookies, etc. for BoA.
    • Go back to the BoA website.
    • Create a new two page login per the 1Password instructions.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rdllink,

Megan asked me to chime in here since I myself have a Bank of America account.

When I use the BoA shortcut, it takes me to the first page, inserts my user name, then takes me to the second page. No password fills in on the second page until I invoke the shortcut again. Then it fills in the pw and logs me in.

What you describe is precisely what we expect to be happening. When a site uses a multi-page login process, you will need to invoke 1Password (either by using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut or by selecting the Login with your mouse) on each page in the login process.

This is normal behavior. Perhaps in the future we can improve this, but it is a bit tricky since the page load time of the second page will vary depending on one's network connection. Thus we couldn't do it based on a timer. I'm not sure of the feasibility of the extension receiving a notification on page load completion, but for now you can simply invoke ⌘\ to fill the page as usual.

As for the Lowe's login page. It is a single page. Both the username and password fields are on one page, so invoking ⌘\ there will fill both fields at once. This is in contrast to multi-page login processes like Bank of America where the username and password are on two separate pages.

Or perhaps you were referring to a Lowe's that is not the home improvement store. If so, could you let us know the URL? We'd love to get on the same page (both literally and figuratively). :)

Cheers!

• rdlink
    rdlink
    Community Member

Hi Khad,

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The Lowe's page I was referring to was not the Lowe's store website, but their credit card site (Which is actually Synchrony Bank).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Interesting. Could you let us know the URL? :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for that! I'm trying to reproduce what you describe, but without an account there it is turning out to be tricky. The security questions interrupt the flow from username to password. And 1Password will not fill a password into a plainttext field (which is what the answer to the security question is using). :neutral_face:

I guess the best I can offer right now is to say that if you are seeing 1Password fill and submit both pages in succession automatically on that site, you have found a pleasant surprise. 1Password has not been designed to do that. On other sites, you'll need to fill and submit each page separately.

I know that may seem like a downer if you are seeing different behavior on that one site, but I've never seen that happen before and it's not something we have ever advertised as a feature. The baseline is filling and submitting each page. Anything else you are seeing should be considered a bonus. :)

• rdlink
    rdlink
    Community Member

Thanks, Khad. I suppose I've slowly come to acceptance, and I'm just grateful to have a fairly easy way to allow me to keep my passwords complex, and consequently secure. If it takes an extra keystroke combination so be it. iCloud Keychain wouldn't even store my password for two page logins.

To tie up the loose end on the Lowe's site I just want to be clear. It doesn't automatically submit the second page. It just fills in the password, so all that I have to do is hit enter. Thinking about it rationally, it's really no better than the BoA situation, because they both require keystrokes. Just different ones.

Thanks to you and the others in this thread for your time and assistance.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm just grateful to have a fairly easy way to allow me to keep my passwords complex, and consequently secure. If it takes an extra keystroke combination so be it. iCloud Keychain wouldn't even store my password for two page logins.

We're thrilled that 1Password helps you in that regard!

To tie up the loose end on the Lowe's site I just want to be clear. It doesn't automatically submit the second page. It just fills in the password, so all that I have to do is hit enter. Thinking about it rationally, it's really no better than the BoA situation, because they both require keystrokes. Just different ones.

Ah. I understand. That does balance it out a little bit (for better or for worse).

Thanks to you and the others in this thread for your time and assistance.

Not a problem at all. We are always here to help! I should also add that we are always working to improve filling and submission, so it may be that all of this discussion about these specific sites will be irrelevant in the future. It's exciting trying to keep up with all of the trillions of sites on the interwebs, so we don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Have a wonderful rest of your day!

This discussion has been closed.