Syncing using mac 1P5 and Android using local folder

PBGH
PBGH
Community Member

Hi,
Could you give me directions on how to sync using 1 PW5 on my Mac and Android 1PW on a galaxy note using local folder? I do not like to use dropbox.
If I get my phone to apear as an external hard drive will the two apps talk to each other?

Thank you for your help

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PBGH‌

So the first step would be to get 1Password for Android syncing to your local storage (see this guide) but as an Apple user I have no advice on the key part which is accessing your internal storage from your Mac in a read/write state - I'm an iOS user. I will ask out Android people what they can suggest but they probably won't be around over the weekend.

If you manage that what you don't want to do is use Folder Sync in 1Password for Mac and point it directly at that location. The reason why is all of our sync methods assume constant availability, iCloud and Dropbox do this by keeping a local copy of your data and then using a service to sync up the changes. So you'd want to use Folder Sync to somewhere on your drive and then use a third party sync such as ChronoSync or rsync, two methods we mention in our Folder Sync page. You'll notice that we don't support whatever service you decide on using - Folder Sync is for the advanced user who wants to do things their way.

One example of an rsync command I've seen was

rsync -azP --delete --update source destination; rsync -azP --delete --update destination source

So two back to back rsync commands to ensure updates in both directions. Having never used this though it is supplied as a suggestion at your own risk. What I can say is the agilekeychain format works in that each item in your vault is a separate file so as long as your timestamps aren't messed up you should be able to use timestamps as a way of determining which is newer.

Does that help a little in what you'll need to consider?

• PBGH
    PBGH
    Community Member

Thank you for your answer littlebobbytables, I really appreciate your Help and it really does help. Lets forget about syncing for a moment; Could I export my Macbook vault and use it to replace the one in my Android phone? I find doing this manually can work for me and keeps me out of the cloud.

Thanks again,
    PBGH

• Hi @PBGH,

You can transfer your data manually if you prefer:

• First, enable folder sync to a local location somewhere on your Mac.

• Find your .agilekeychain bundle (created in the location you chose when setting up folder sync).

• Copy the .agilekeychain bundle to the local storage on your Android device.

• Setup local storage sync on 1Password for Android.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.