Trouble updating a password on a specific bank site [moved to PM/email]

rus5
rus5
Community Member
edited December 2014 in Mac

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET AHOLD OF THESE PEOPLE !?!?!?!?!

Comments

• Monica
    Monica
    Community Member

Yeah, I'd like to know that too. It's REALLY annoying that it says "Don't hesitate to contact us" but the link just goes to a page with no contact info.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Hi @rus5‌

You can contact us by creating a thread here in the forums. If an issue requires complex troubleshooting or a diagnostic report then we take it to email via our ticket system. We're encouraging the use of the forum though to try and better cope with the current level of support requests and hope it leads to quicker responses.

As for your issue. I take it you attempted to create a new password and you did so using our Password Generator, is that correct?

Did it look something like this?

Can I ask, did you use the Fill button, change it to Copy via the little down arrow to the right of it or did you select the password in the text box and use OS X's own clipboard, either via ⌘C or right clicking and selecting the Copy option from the context sensitive menu?

If you used the button then it will create a Password item under the Passwords category and it would be titled with the website in focus when it was created. If you then go on to create a Login item with that password it will remove the Password item due to it being redundant.

We are aware of the issue that the item isn't created if the password is selected manually and OS X's clipboard used to copy it - the action of creating the Password item is tied to the click of the button in the Password Generator.

Does any of this explanation match your situation?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@Monica‌ I've already replied to your thread. As your issue seems very separate to that of rus5 we'll keep the two troubleshooting threads separate.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited November 2014

I would say that anyone who expects a response on a Sunday within three hours of posting or emailing is living in a dream world. The support people here seem to me to be working seven days a week and close to around the clock. The first support response to this thread came in about two and three quarters hours. That seems speedy to me.

You don't have to constantly recheck the forum for an answer. Go to your profile page and set your notification to receive email when there is a response to your posts.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I suggest you take a little time to read the forum before venting your spleen. I do not work for AgileBits but the company is far and away the best for support of any software company I've come across. It is also complete nonsense to say the software is "badly written". I suggest you test the level of support properly by posting constructively about the problem you have instead of writing critical, ill-considered posts.

I should say that it's pretty unusual for me to respond to any post like this but I think your posts are quite out of order—to say nothing of being out of touch with reality.

Stephen

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

@rus5, I understand your frustration, and you can be assured that we'll do everything possible to solve your problem, but even with dozens of people handling support seven days a week and nearly around the clock, it's hard to keep up with somewhere around a million customers. Rather than have your message sit longer than desirable in the mail queues, we're trying to focus on rapid responses here in the forums, as explained by @littlebobbytables‌, above. Questions and answers in the forum are also available to your fellow users who might have a similar problem, too.

As for the problem you mention briefly, did you try selecting the Login item for that bank and clicking the Previously used passwords button in the main 1Password program? I apologize if you've already done that, but I believe it'll show you any passwords (and the dates they were created) generated by the password generator. I don't specialize in 1Password for Mac, but I use it on my own Mac, and that's how it works for me.

I hope that helps, @rus5—please let us know!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@rus5‌

It isn't our intention to 'force' users into the forums but over the last couple of major OS X and iOS releases (so even before I joined AgileBits) it has been apparent that to try and respond to all support requests something other than just a ticketing system needed to be considered. Maybe over time it might be decided that forums don't offer the best way to do so but there are advantages as @DBrown stated. Depending on the issue it may be a user arrives at our forums and finds the question has been asked and answered even before they've joined so they could post.

One assumption I had on how these forums work I've found is incorrect and that is when we use the @ symbol. When we use @ username e.g. @rus5 or @littlebobbytables‌ it notifies the user that they have been mentioned but erroneously I believed you received an email notification. I hope the forum will allow us to change this default (any user can enable it if they are aware of that setting) so new users are notified by email by default. I agree that if you were being expected to manually check back that it is inefficient and likely to result in missing a response.

I do understand frustration at being locked out of something as important as your bank's portal. I once achieved this (through my own fault) and with my bank it wasn't a 2hr process, it was more like two weeks while I waited for new authentication codes in the post. As a night shift worker at the time it essentially meant I was locked out of certain tasks as I was sleeping when the branches were open. It's why I now ensure everything is kept in 1Password and I say that as a customer, not an employee of AgileBits.

While at this point in time you may not believe me, the developers do fully understand the importance of the data we're storing and encrypting on behalf of the user and what it means when you can't access it for whatever reason. If we can systematically reproduce undesirable behaviour through a report from a customer we of course would want to fix it.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

+1 for what @Stephen_C‌ said.

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member

@rus5‌

"I just spent nearly three hours trying to get back into my bank account..."

You might consider a different bank, one more responsive to its customers. Over the years, I've had a number of password issues and lockout issues and it's never taken me more than five minutes of so on the phone to resolve the issue.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

Hi @rus5,

I understand that you're feeling frustrated here, so I'll do the best to get to the bottom of things for you as quickly as possible. Because this is already a long thread, I'll summarize the issue briefly first (please let me know if I've missed anything):

• You attempted to change your password on your banking website
    • 1Password was a little over-zealous and filled too many fields
    • The password was updated on the website, but 1Password did not prompt to save this new password

That certainly is not ideal behaviour, on either count. If you would let us know the URL of the bank site that you were using, I'd be happy to pass it along to our developers to see if we can improve 1Password's behaviour there. You're welcome to send me a private message with the URL if you'd rather not post it publicly.

Now, I know this doesn't help you now, as you've already gone through the process of resetting your password, but 1Password does have a few measures put into place for those times when you are not automatically prompted to update your password. First: by default, all passwords are copied to the clipboard when you click the 'Fill' button. You can check to confirm that this is enabled by clicking on the arrow next to the 'Fill' button in the password generator in 1Password mini. This means that if 1Password doesn't prompt you to save your password, all you have to do is open the entry and paste this new password into the password field. Additionally, all generated passwords are also saved into the 'Passwords' category as soon as the 'Fill' button is pressed (as @DBRown mentions above). You should see a recent password for your bank's URL in that category.

Clearly, it's much better if 1Password properly recognizes as password change each and every time it happens. Our developers are working to make 1Password smarter here, and knowing the URL that is not behaving now will help a lot.

ref: OPX-687, OPX-688, BXQ-98416-927

This discussion has been closed.