How much will cost to get 1password for my entire family on iOS and Mac? And several related ques.

Options
vzen
vzen
Community Member

How much will cost to get 1password for my entire family on iOS and Mac?
As I understand it, I will need to purchase for the two different platforms. But, is One purchase sufficient? I made my girlfriend buy the iOS version last year. Can her son and I use that Liscence?
IF I buy the Mac version, can they both use it on their computers? (What I want to have is: 1Password on: 2 more iPhones, and 3 more computers)

Also, Can I port 8 years of passwords from SplashID to 1password?
I put Mac verson 39.99 in my shopping basket about to buy with the Educational Discount; does everything work the same with that?

thank you

K

Comments

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

@vzen Where did you buy your Mac license from? If from the Agilebits store then you can upgrade the Mac license to a family license. If from the Mac App Store then you can use iCloud Family Sharing to allow the app to be used on your family's devices. There are some issues with this though because, assuming you became the organiser, your credit card would be used for future purchases on all your family's devices.

Family Sharing can also be used for all your iOS apps.

I know nothing about SplashID so hopefully someone else can help with that.

• vzen
    vzen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Penelope.
    I was looking at the Apple Terms about the Family Sharing and I searched forums and it looks like there could be problems with that. I"d rather just pay for the iOS apps ($10x2) than have issues. BUT, I really don't want to have to pay $40/50 for EACH computer. That would cause me to look for another solution.
    I would guess that AgileBits would prefer purchases Directly from their website for Mac rather than face Apple's 30% tax. I wonder if doing so opens up more Support solutions as well, insofar as updates are concerned as well....... hmmmm

K

• vzen
    vzen
    Community Member
    Options

ps: I haven't purchased the Mac license yet. I made my girlfriend buy the iOS version. I'm doing R and D because my current password manager has a security flaw and I've heard 1password is one of the best. I want to sync by wifi ONLY and never have my data on any servers anywhere. I HOPE 1password can do that.

K

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add a word of clarification about AgileBits family licences... They no longer exist as such and instead the basic licence condition is this:

Our software is licensed per person and per platform, not per device. Each user and each platform requires a license. Licenses can be shared by up to six family members living in the same household. Licenses can not be transfered or re-sold.

So that applies if you buy direct from AgileBits—but be aware that if you do you won't be able to use iCloud to sync (because that is supported only by the Mac App Store version).

Stephen

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Your welcome!

I wonder if doing so opens up more Support solutions as well, insofar as updates are concerned as well....... hmmmm

Not really. There is a public beta programme for the Mac version but I wouldn't recommend you participate in that until you get very familiar with the released version of the product. I've found the support absolutely brilliant.

I've heard 1password is one of the best.

THE best if you ask me. Just remember to choose a secure master password.

I want to sync by wifi ONLY and never have my data on any servers anywhere. I HOPE 1password can do that.

Yes it can.

Edit: removed incorrect info about family license. My post crossed with @Stephen_C‌'s.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add a word of clarification about AgileBits family licences...

Thanks for correcting my out of date knowledge Stephen. That's a much cleaner policy in my view.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

No problem @Penelope Pitstop‌: it's not easy to keep up with all the changes all the time. :)

Stephen

• vzen
    vzen
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add a word of clarification about AgileBits family licences... They no longer exist as such and instead the basic licence condition is this:

Our software is licensed per person and per platform, not per device. Each user and each platform requires a license. Licenses can be shared by up to six family members living in the same household. Licenses can not be transfered or re-sold.

So that applies if you buy direct from AgileBits—but be aware that if you do you won't be able to use iCloud to sync (because that is supported only by the Mac App Store version).

Stephen

ok, so, Does that mean one Mac License WILL cover all our Macs in our house? We want it on 4 macs. In the same household. How would Agile determine this? If we are all coming from the same web address? We are all on the same wifi network, so I assume that should show we are coming from same home address.

I am very concerned about support. I heard support was great from Agile bits, but I find no Contact to get these questions answered. So far we have purchased on iOS 1password.

K

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

@vzen‌

Yes you would be covered.

Examples from the license page

• Examples:
    1. You alone use 1Password on Mac and Windows

You need a single license for Mac and a single license for Windows.

2. You, your spouse and your two children living in the same household use 1Password, each on their own Mac.

You can all share a single license.

• Support

You can always privately email : support @ agilebits.com

Often you may find work arounds and other great information here. The forums are often the best place to find quick answers, so please do bookmark the main page. :wink:

ps.

We also are like the welcome wagon and enjoy helping others get started and or fixing issues when we can.

• vzen
    vzen
    Community Member
    Options

excellent thank you! thigh tower

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@vzen, AgileBits support is great. But they prefer support requests to be posted in the forums first, and - presumably for that reason - they don't give a support email address on their main pages. They often give an address in forum answers if the issue is best dealt with privately.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vzen,

It looks like you've been receiving some pretty great advice from our forum members here. I know that licensing can be a bit confusing, so I'd be happy to help if you have any further questions.

As @danco mentions above, you're likely to receive a quicker response to questions posted in the forums than via email these days - we've experienced a surge in support requests, and are prioritizing our public support here, as a single answer can help many users.

Please let me know if I can help you here!

• vzen
    vzen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to all. Will purchase and set up for all in household. Hope it goes well.
    As far as I can tell, I'd rather buy direct from Agile and NOT be able to use iCloud because Apple could screw something up and Agile might be less empowered to fix it. Plus, I only want to sync over wifi anyway.

I think I'm screwed as far as transferring 8 years of passwords From SplashID.

thanks again to all.

K

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I think I'm screwed as far as transferring 8 years of passwords From SplashID.

Not necessarily. A fellow forum participant has created many converters and collected them into a single application. There is also a built-in converter in the Mac version. How much you will like these will depend on how much you have used the unstructured modifications that are allowed in SplashID. I will admit that when I made the same move, I finally gave up on converting and reentered all my data by hand.

There is a long thread discussing @MrC‌'s converter in this thread.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vzen,

Thanks so much for choosing to support 1Password - you rock! I hope that @hawkmoth's advice about import has got you on the right track to get all your data into 1Password, but you know where to find us if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

This discussion has been closed.