Dropbox sync stopped working on iOS

Options

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Cenkie and @tarpenbek, can you please confirm the exact version of 1Password installed on your devices? In the 1Password app, go to Settings and you can find the exact version directly underneath the Recommend 1Password option.

• tommunch
    tommunch
    Community Member
    Options

Mine is syncing okay now after delete/reinstall and now 5.1.2.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming that, @tommunch! I'm happy to hear it's working for you now. :smiley:

• bevk49
    bevk49
    Community Member
    Options

Still not working for me even after update and disable and enable of sync. Sync screen still pulsing.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bevk49,

Can you please try these steps to see if it helps:

• First, make sure you have all your 1Password data synced/backed up somewhere other than your iOS device. If your 1Password data is up to date in Dropbox, that's fine. You can also save a backup to your computer by following the steps here.

• Next, open 1Password and go to Settings.

• Scroll down and go to Advanced.
    • Tap Erase Data and Settings, then confirm you want to do that.
    • When you see the message confirming the data is deleted, tap Quit.
    • Restart your iOS device (hold down the power button for a few seconds and "slide to power off", then turn it back on again).

• Reopen 1Password and choose Sync existing vault.

• Choose Sync with Dropbox and follow any additional steps to complete the setup.

Please let us know how it goes, thanks!

• carsonsd
    carsonsd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AG, Thanks very much for your reply (#3 below), which I have just discovered. When I open 1Password and go to SEttings > Sync, it says
    Sync Service Dropbox
    Sync Now

When I click on Sync Now, it says "Syncing..." fof a second or two then goes back to Sync Now. After a while I see a line in red saying, "Failed to list remote data folder". When I touch this line I get:
    "Failed to list remote data folder in Dropbox. Please try again later. Path: /Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/"

I know that the sync isn't working because I've added a credit card on the iPhone, and it doesn't show up on my laptop. If you could help me sort this out, I would be very grateful.

3 Hi @carsonsd, I moved your message to a new discussion, as I think it's probably a different issue.

Please open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Sync. Does that show the Sync Service is Dropbox, or does it say Start Syncing?
    If it says Start Syncing, that means Dropbox sync has been disabled, so that explains why it isn't working. In that case, please set it up again by following these steps.
    On the other hand, if Dropbox sync is still enabled, what happens if you tap Sync Now? How long ago was the Last Sync?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @carsonsd,

Have you installed the update for version 5.1.2? It was just released yesterday and should fix this problem. If you're not sure, you can find the exact version on Settings, directly underneath the Recommend 1Password option. If you don't have 5.1.2, you can install the update from the App Store.

If you've installed 5.1.2 but still have the problem, please try my steps from post #36 (from earlier today). Does that help?

• carsonsd
    carsonsd
    Community Member
    Options

Hello again, I went through the steps you suggested and was able to back up my iphone to my PC and then restore it again from my PC. But it didn't give me the option to sync to Dropbox. My iphone is the devise that is up to date and the PC that is out of date, and it looks like the iPhone is not syncing with dropbox. So it looks like what I need is to get my phone syncing to dropbox so that the PC version of 1pw can get up to date. Any more suggestions? thanks very much for your help.

• carsonsd
    carsonsd
    Community Member
    Options

And, yes, version 5.1.2 was already installed before I went through the steps in post #32.

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew. I applied the 5.1.2 update to my iphone & ipad. The iphone sync to dropbox was working fine. On my ipad, I had to do the disable/enable trick to get it working, but my hope is that's the last time I'll need to do that. :-)

Thanks to the 1password team for getting this update out.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @carsonsd‌

Could you please tell me what you mean when you say you didn't get the option to sync with Dropbox? Are you following these instructions?

@ericsh‌

Thanks for the update!

• dreinmund
    dreinmund
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

This issue is absolutely. Dropbox Sync is now completely broken.
    I'm ALWAYS getting "failed to list remote data folder" error mid-way through the sync process.

I have done about EVERYTHING that was suggested in various posts here:

• deleted the vault on Dropbox (Mac 10.10) and re-created it
    • Updated to latest built on my Mac (5.0.2 - 502007)
    • deleted the Dropbox app on my iPhone 6 and reinstalled it
    • deleted 1Password on my iPhone and re-installed it (5.1.2)
    • hard reboot on my iPhone
    • disabled background sync on my iPhone
    • I tried to set up Dropbox Sync on iPhone about 10 times - same error every time
    • tried the same on different iPhone (5s) and iPad. No avail.

Btw, syncing across Macs works just fine. So I doubt it's the actual vault file or Dropbox that's causing the issue. It's the iOS version of 1Password.

Am very annoyed. Something is fundamentally broken with 1Password on iOS.

• Good morning @dreinmund, I'm sorry for the trouble that you're having. It would be helpful to me if you could send in a diagnostic report so I can take a look at what 1Password is doing under the hood. To create one follow these steps:

1. Open 1Password for iOS
    2. Tap on Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Email Diagnostics
    3. Copy the unique identifier from the subject of that email and paste it here so we can look it up.
    4. Do not post your diagnostic report here.

Let me know if you run into any trouble. Thanks.

• carsonsd
    carsonsd
    Community Member
    Options

Hello bwoodruff,
    All this is very confusing and frustrating. I tried following the Sync with Dropbox page that you referred me to. The screens that I see are not the same ones that I see on my iphone. More or less following the directions I get to a screen that asks me to Choose a Vault. There are two listed:
    /1Password 2.agilekeychain
    Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Dropbox on my PC seems to be linked to the first one, and this is a first level directory in dropbox. When ask to choose the first option above, I get this message:
    Vault Mismatch
    It appears that the data in the Primary vault is different from the vault you selected in Dropbox. We recommend that you do not merge these vaults.

I can then choose between Do Not Merge and More Info. When I go to More Info, I get:
    Your Vault Dropbox Vault
    321 items 33 items
    0.0% similar

Any more suggestions? Perhaps I should try a different method of syncing than dropbox? Please tell me how to get my two devices syncing.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @carsonsd‌

Is there any data on your iOS device that is not on your computer that you'd need to save? If not simply uninstall the iOS app, reinstall it, and try the procedures again. This will download the information from Dropbox to your iOS device. If there is, then go ahead and select the "merge anyway" option under More Info.

• dreinmund
    dreinmund
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni, #UGU-52964-266

Thanks for looking into it.

• philipbowman
    philipbowman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'm having what seems to be a similar problem here. My ipad and iphone had not had successful synchs with Dropbox for several weeks now, so I'm worried whether I have unique data in them - trying to reset the synch settings gives dire warnings about losing cached data.

I see the instructions above about how to manually backup, then reinstall/resynch, but what happens to anything on my devices? Will a restore after it's working again merge the records?

I tried dumping the diagnostics, and it shows:
    Failed to create OPDropboxFileSynchService, userID '1234567' is not linked. ...

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dreinmund thanks for sending the diagnostic report! I found your mail and answered.

@philipbowman with a backup you are sure you won't loose any data. If you restore a backup it will overwrite any information in 1Password on that device.

I suggest following these steps if you have unsynced data in 1Password on iOS:

• backup your data as suggested in post #36
    • disable Dropbox sync
    • re-enable Dropbox sync
    • wait for the sync to finish
    • check on another device if all data that was changed on iOS was indeed synced successfully
    • now follow the steps from post #36 from my colleague @Drew_AG‌

This ensures that you have a fresh setup with no data loss. Please let me know how it went.

• I run 1Password on my Apple iMac and MacBook Pro, my iPad, my iPad mini, and my iPhone 5s. My iOS devices are running the latest version of iOS. I have a single vault that I keep in Dropbox. When I try to sync my iPhone to the Dropbox file/vault, I get this message: "The operation couldn't be completed. (NSURLErrorDoman error -1001.) 1Password encountered a problem." What does this mean and what should I do about it?

• carsonsd
    carsonsd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ericsh‌

Unfortunately the latest info is on my IOS device because that is where I usually put in new info. Is there any alternative to doing what you suggest above? It would be nice to avoid loosing info that has already been put in 1password.

Thank you,
    @carsonsd

• Steve M
    Steve M
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I've just stumbled across this thread, because I too have this issue. In my case, the last sync was 7 weeks ago, which is about when I upgraded my iPhone 4S to iOS 8, or perhaps when I upgraded to my iPhone 6. I know I have entries on my iPhone that don't appear on my Macs or Windows machines, so I have data I don't want to lose. I'm away from my iPhone's "home Mac" over the holiday, so I can't follow the instructions to save a backup. I'll just wait.

I do have 1Password 5.1.2 on my iPhone 6, and probably got it as soon as it was out. I didn't realize until last night my Syncs weren't working. I originally hadn't gotten the grandfathered Pro features, so I had to follow those tricks to get them.

When I click Sync Now, the button changes for a fraction of a second, then changes back to Sync Now. The log in the Diagnostics dump (edited) says:

Fri Nov 28 21:56:25 2014| E readObjectAtURL: | Failed to parse JSON data: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (Cocoa error 3840.)" (JSON text did not start with array or object and option to allow fragments not set.) UserInfo=XXXX {NSDebugDescription=JSON text did not start with array or object and option to allow fragments not set.} Fri Nov 28 21:56:25 2014| :<OPAgileKeychain (file:///var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/BUNCHA-NUMBERS/Library/Replicas/Dropbox_XXX/~1Password.agilekeychain/)>] W enumerateItemsPassingTest:usingBlock: | Skipping file because it is missing key attributes: file:///private/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/BUNCHA-NUMBERS/Library/Replicas/Dropbox_XXX/~1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/BUNCHA-NUMBERS .1password Fri Nov 28 21:56:25 2014| 501204 [<OPAgileKeychain (file:///var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/4 BUNCHA-NUMBERS/Library/Replicas/Dropbox_XXX/~1Password.agilekeychain/)>] E readObjectAtURL: | Failed to parse JSON data: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=3840 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (Cocoa error 3840.)" (JSON text did not start with array or object and option to allow fragments not set.) UserInfo=XXXX {NSDebugDescription=JSON text did not start with array or object and option to allow fragments not set.} Fri Nov 28 21:56:25 2014| <OPSyncAnalysis: XXX>] S addNote: | No changes detected between <OPLogin-BUNCHA-NUMBERS > and <OPLogin-BUNCHA-NUMBERS-0 XXXX>, localObject.txTimestamp=state.localTimestamp=1412811277 and state.sourceTimestamp=sourceObject.txTimestamp=1368013068.
    Hopefully when I follow the steps in post #36 all will be well again. If it'll help get to the bottom of this, I can email in a diagnostics report.

Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CandaceVan‌

Can I ask, how you tried a reboot of your iPhone any time recently? That's the first thing I'd try. If that doesn't help can you say at what point you get the error message, as in you do X & Y but before Z you get the error message.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @carsonsd‌

Sorry, it seems you've been having a struggle to get this going and you've been dealing with a mixture of us during that period.

Having gone over your posts I see you state you have 1Password for iOS v5.1.2 (the most current) but you don't mention what version of 1Password for Mac. I've seen you state a couple of times now that the iPhone is where the more current data is.

Lastly, you said in your first post:

I don't want to spend any time on this; I want to be told how to fix it. Thanks

Here's what I propose.

1. I'm going to assume you're running either 1Password for Mac v4 or v5.
    2. We backup both copies of 1Password.
    3. We wipe all the agilekeychains.
    4. We let the two copies of 1Password merge using a fresh keychain

The backup plan. If your iPhone does represent all your recent changes we force both copies to use your iOS backup and start with a fresh agilekeychain.

Backing Up

1. In 1Password for iOS create a fake item and give it today's date. This is going to be our marker.
    2. In 1Password for iOS go to Settings > Advanced and select the Create Backup option. Do this even if you created a backup in the past, we want a fresh backup with all up-to-date changes.
    3. Connect your iPhone to iTunes. Click on your iPhone (this seems to change with each new version of iTunes), go to Apps under Settings and scroll down to the File Sharing section. Click on 1Password and then the Backups folder. Click on the now enabled Save to... button and save this backup to your Desktop.
    4. In 1Password for Mac enter 1Password's preferences and switch to the Backup tab. In there click the Backup Now button.

In step 3. I had the vague statement of click on your iPhone. In iTunes 12 I mean this (see below) where the icon circled in red is what I would click to bring up my iPhone page.

Wiping the agilekeychains

1. In 1Password for iOS go to Settings > Sync > Sync Service and click on Disable Sync
    2. In 1Password for Mac enter 1Password's preferences, switch to the Sync tab and click on Change Syncing... and confirm
    3. In your Dropbox, either on your Mac or via their website, find every copy of a folder ending in .agilekeychain and remove it. If you're feeling apprehensive move them to your Desktop. Please make sure there are no copies of that folder remaining.

Merging

1. In 1Password for iOS set up Dropbox Syncing as normal, see this guide but I figure you know what you're doing. Give it a moment to sync.
    2. In 1Password for Mac set up Dropbox Syncing and make sure to point it to the 1Password.agilekeychain that 1Password for iOS created. Here is the guide for the Mac but after step 3 don't select the Dropbox folder, select the 1Password.agilekeychain.

There will be differences but they shouldn't be anything like the differences you were reporting before of 321 in one and 33 in another. That fake item you created in the very first step, is it present, does it look like all your other changes are present too?

If it does I think we're good but you always have the iOS backup anyway.

If it isn't and your Mac doesn't have anything in it that isn't on your iOS device, then I say let's blow away your Mac vault and restore your iOS backup to both devices.

Following the Wiping the agilekeychains steps again - you don't want syncing enabled for this.

1. in 1Password for iOS go to Settings > Advanced and use the Restore from Backup option. Is the fake item present? If it is you're good. If it isn't you need to connect your iPhone back to iTunes and back in the File Sharing section select the Backups folder, hit the delete key to remove the backup that didn't work and then use the Add... button to add your old Backup back to your iOS device. Restore that backup and the fake item should be present.
    2. in 1Password for Mac enter 1Password's preferences, go to the Backup tab and use the Find Backup button. Select the iOS backup. It will add that backup to your list. Select the iOS backup from amongst the other options and click on the new enabled Restore button. 1Password will quit but when you open it again it will be using the vault from your iPhone.
    3. Follow the Merging steps again. This shouldn't require any actual merging though as both are working off the exact same vault.

@carsonsd‌ I realise this is a damned big post so if you feel unsure about anything, have questions etc. now is the time to ask. I just hope/want to see you with syncing working again.

• mrsjb
    mrsjb
    Community Member
    Options

hi, I think I may also need to do something like this. I have a MacBook Pro running yosemite, 1Password v5.0.2. i have an iPhone 5s up to date with all apps. My phone and Mac 1 Passwords are not syncing properly, not sure when that started. I have more than 1 agile keychain in my dropbox. i am concerned about deleting all the keychains from Dropbox. Any more advice, or should i just try to follow your instructions above?

• mrsjb
    mrsjb
    Community Member
    Options

Also, when i looked at 'last synced' on my phone it says something like last sync 10 seconds ago, goes up to 30 secs, but the line saying Items bounces up and down and up under the Last Sync line. Almost like hiccups. The most accurate info for me is on my Mac.

thanks,

wendy

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrsjb,

You said you have multiple .agilekeychain files in Dropbox. Do you also have multiple vaults set up in 1Password on your Mac and/or iPhone? If not, and you only have 1 vault in 1Password for Mac and iOS, my first guess is that your Mac is syncing with a different .agilekeychain file than your iPhone. You can follow the steps below to check that.

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Assuming Dropbox sync is enabled, it should show a file path for the keychain file in Dropbox it syncs with.

On your iPhone:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync.
    • Assuming Dropbox sync is enabled, tap Sync Service.
    • The file path for the keychain file will be shown underneath the Current Sync Method / Dropbox.

Are they syncing with the same keychain file, or different keychain files? If they each sync with a different keychain file, you can disable sync on your Mac or iPhone, then re-enable Dropbox sync and choose the correct keychain file.

Does that help?

• mrsjb
    mrsjb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, i think that worked. Yes, i am only using 1 vault. My two keychain file names are very similar, but one file is larger than the other. I selected the bigger file. I think the file path is the same. I do still have the issue with the 'bouncing line'. When I open 1Password on the iPhone and go to settings then sync, the line/box that says 'Last Sync' constantly changes from "In progress" to a count up of how many seconds lapsed up to 32 seconds and then it begins again. It does not rest. It is in constant motion. Then the line directly below marked "Items" "bounces" up and down constantly, 'bumping' the line that says "Last Sync". the # of items does not change.

Also is there a safe way to eliminate the other 1password files from DropBox? Or should i just leave those alone?

• carsonsd
    carsonsd
    Community Member
    Options

Hello littlebobbytables,
    Thank you very much for the long post; I really appreciate your efforts and would very much like to get this resolved. You have assumed that I am using a Mac, but I use Windows 7. Would this change the your suggestions of what to do?

Also, I have just discovered that 1password no longer requires a password to open it on my pc. When I click on it, it just opens up with all my information displayed without requiring a password, which completely defeats the purpose of using it. What is going on? Your product has performed splendidly for such a long time. Why am I having these problems? I work in an open office, so this is a critical issue.

• carsonsd
    carsonsd
    Community Member
    Options

Hello littlebobbytables, Have figured out how to make password required on pc desktop; just ticked "Lock when main window is closed". I'm not sure how it got un-ticked, but all ok now.

I'm running version 4.1.0.530 on my Windows 7 pc. I will try and follow your instructions and let you know how I get on.

Thanks very much

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mrsjb, I'm glad that worked! It's actually normal for 1Password to sync every 32 seconds or so while the app is open. The "bouncing line" is a little unusual, but it doesn't sounds like that's causing a problem.

If you have extra .keychain files in Dropbox that you are no longer using, feel free to delete them. You just need to keep the one that is currently syncing your vault between your Mac and iPhone. If you have more questions about any of that, we're here for you! :)

@carsonsd, since you're using 1Password for Windows instead of Mac, the steps from littlebobbytables will be slightly different, although the general idea is the same. You can still create a backup of your 1Password for iOS data and save it to Windows via iTunes. However, you won't be able to use that backup to restore data to 1Password for Windows because it uses a different backup format.

On Windows, you can backup your current data by opening the main 1Password program and going to Backup > Back Up 1Password Vault.

The Windows version doesn't have sync preferences, so there's nothing to disable like on Mac or iOS. Instead, after you make a new backup, please close the 1Password program.

After you make backups on Windows and iOS, close the program on Windows and disable sync on iOS, then you can continue with the steps to remove any/all .agilekeychain folders from Dropbox (as littlebobbytables described). Then, you will need to reenable Dropbox sync in 1Password for iOS. That will create a brand new 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/Apps/1Password/.

Allow the sync to complete (this may take some extra time, as it is re-syncing all your 1Password data from iOS to Dropbox). When it's finished, open 1Password on Windows, go to File > Open 1Password Vault, and choose the new keychain file: Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

I think that pretty much covers the differences in the steps you'll need to follow. If you have questions about that, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.