Item count mismatch [Resolved]

Options
GCM
GCM
Community Member
edited December 2014 in Mac

Hi, my MBA and iPad Item count (224) doesn't equal my iPod item count (228). Can you help me get them back on track? Troubleshooting so far: test changes made on one device make it to the others; I tried toggling iCloud Drive on & off at both iOS devices, to no avail. Thanks.

(MBA OS X 10.10.1; 1Password Version 5.0.2 (502006)/Mac App Store) (iPod Touch iOS 8.1.1 and iPad Air 2 iOS 8.0.2; both running 1Password Version 5.1.2) (Sync: iCloud)

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GCM, do you sync/backup your iOS devices to a copy of iTunes at all? I just want to ask before we proceed.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Do you have 4 folders ?

The reason I ask is a long time back folders were counted in the item count. I have moved entirely to tags so I wouldn't notice if this is still the same. I also run the betas so I may or may not still have some of the same issues etc.

also @littlebobbytables Ive followed the topic, can you let me know if this issue is still present. Or if I can file that issue away as bug fixed. ;) and its my old man memory just being a little over zealous.

• GCM
    GCM
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys. I've synced to iTunes before, but I don't make it a habit. Thx for the insight but each of my devices shows my 5 folders.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GCM‌

Here's what I suggest.

1. On your iPod go into Settings > Advanced and use the Create Backup option.
    2. Connect your iPod to iTunes (don't be shocked if you need to use a cable) and open up the page for your iPod. Go to the Apps section and scroll down to find the File Sharing. Select 1Password from the list, select the Backups folder and then use the Save to... button to copy your backup to your MacBook Air. So no matter what we have a copy of your 228 item vault backed up on both your iPod and your MBA.
    3. Open 1Password on your MBA and in its preferences switch to the Backup tab and use the Backup Now button. No matter what we should have a backup of the two different vaults.
    4. Disable iCloud sync on all devices
    5. On your MBA delete the iCloud sync data using Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data
    6. Enable iCloud sync on your iPod and give it a moment.
    7. Enable iCloud sync on your MBA.

With the iCloud sync data purged I'm hoping your MBA picks up these differences. If it does you should be able to safely add the iPad back into the mix.

If it doesn't and no obvious harm has come then report back here and we can continue troubleshooting, probably via a diagnostic report.

If it all seems to go horribly wrong don't panic! That's why steps 1-3 were all about creating backups. We can restore any of these backups, heck we could install the backup of the 228 items onto each machine/device if you wanted.

On your iPod you simply return to Settings > Advanced and select the Restore from Backup option. If need be we can copy the backup from your Desktop back into your iPod using iTunes again and using the Add... button instead of the Save to... we used before. On your Mac you re-enter the Backup tab in preferences, select the backup you want to restore and the Restore button will become enabled.

If you have any questions, any concerns before doing any of this just let us know and we can continue the discussion before proceeding.

• GCM
    GCM
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables‌, sorry, iPod and MBA counts are 226 and 222, respectively, after I followed your steps 1-7. I have left iCloud 'off' on the iPad for now. No obvious harm has come other than I am a relative newcomer to Mac, and so with some trepidation I had clicked through the attendant warning messages related to disabling iCloud :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GCM,

So here is where you'll be happy that we took those backups. Until we understand better what happened I suggest we restore both machines/devices to their previous state.

On your MBA enter 1Password's preferences, switch to the Backup tab and select the backup you made in step 3. The Restore button will become enabled so you can click it now. 1Password will shut down as part of the process but once you start it up again it will have 224 items.

With your iPod, if you enter Settings > Advanced there is a Restore from Backup option you can pick. That should restore your iPod to 228 items. If it doesn't we may need to copy the Backups folder from step 2. back onto your iPod. If you need help with those instructions let me know.

Once you have all three devices back to their original state we'll work on figuring out where the differences are but for now it's best to keep sync disabled (good move in not enabling it on the other device). I may need to get somebody else involved for that as there has to be a system better than manually checking each. Let us know once you're ready.

• GCM
    GCM
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables‌. Ok, done. I suppose no matter now, but before my last post, I forgot to say the 226 iPod/222 MBA differed from my first post's 228 iPod/224 MBA because I had edited some items in 1Password. The +4 items my iPod has that my MBA doesn't, are located in the Logins, Secure Notes, and Passwords categories. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GCM‌

I apologise then as my post on the 30th assumed something had gone very wrong and freshly merging the two had caused those deletions. If the missing two was to be expected then maybe restoring the backups wasn't completely necessary - sorry about that. Of course we still have the matter of why there is a difference of four entries even after a fresh sync and whether there are any other differences we need to be concerned about.

I've spoken to one of our very clever devs and they'd like to see a couple of diagnostic reports if you don't mind helping us out.

So I apologise but can you go through the steps I listed in post #5 again. We're assuming at the end of it you're still going to have a difference of 4 items again.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from your MBA and one from your iPod.

—Mac—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• GCM
    GCM
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables‌, I still have +4 items on iPod, relative to MBA. I've sent two emails as you directed. Thanks. Oops I sent 2 emails: one to support@agilebits.com and the other to support+ios.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GCM‌

Thank you for the diagnostic reports and letting us know you've sent them. I've merged the two emails and linked the ticket back to this thread. Once we've taken a look we'll see if we can discover why your two vaults refuse to match after a clean sync.

ref: ELU-95327-898

• GCM
    GCM
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables‌. I'm happy to report back, things appear fixed. Perhaps if I share what seemed to fix it, others will have similar luck-

• Rebooted the Mac, at Eva's suggestion, to un-stick any 'stuck' background processes.
    • In iOS (iPod) 1Password, Settings->Sync->Sync Service->Disable Sync
    • In OS X (Mac) 1Password, Preferences->Sync->Change Sync->Delete Data from iCloud (and) Disable Sync
    • Then in their respective 1Password apps, I re-enabled iCloud on both iOS and Mac.

Immediately, the 4 iPod entries transferred to the Mac. Also, I've re-enabled the iPad's sync, and so far, so good. This differed from what I did in post #5 where I had actually gone into iOS' Settings->iCloud, and OS X's System Preferences->iCloud, and disabled iCloud there.

Thanks for your, @thightower‌ 's and Eva's help.

I am very pleased with the app. I migrated to it after many years of using a competitor's app. No easy task, but worth it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GCM,

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! I'm glad our team was able to get you back up and running.

Since this particular issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support+forum@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.