Options
2»

Comments

• fhb
    fhb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,
    I too am a new user who has migrated from Splash ID, and would like to add my request for the ability to create new categories. Its being sorely missed!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks also for your interest and request, @fhb. :)

• Silvio
    Silvio
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk - please add me to the list - just purchased 1password - this should be a basic feature and not sure how I missed that it does not exist - disappointed also about the limited categories available - please add this feature in the next update to be released hopefully soon. Thx.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings, @Silvio!

Your feedback is now on the list, too. We haven't forgotten about this request and its popularity. :)

• muser
    muser
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add my voice to this thread. I have been a user of SplashID for years, but have grown tired of their clunky interface and constant push for subscription revenue. At first look, I found 1Password more appealing. I bought 1Password for Mac 4, but I was surprised and disappointed to find that it didn't support custom categories or record types. I find that essential. To me, it seems like that should have been a day-one feature, because with that one capability a user can extend the product to uses that were not anticipated by the developers in the form of built-in special-purpose categories. It would also relieve pressure on the developers, who wouldn't need to specially code every use-case.

Recently, when version 5 came out, I looked at it again, hoping that it would have custom categories, but alas it does not. That one missing feature has kept me from switching. 1Password looks very pretty, but this key piece of functionality is more important to me than the way it looks.

Please add this capability as soon as you can. Until then, I am back to using SplashID.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @muser‌

I can't offer a timeline at all however your interest has been noted.

• bullfish
    bullfish
    Community Member
    Options

I too would like to see a custom category option. I'm currently using mSecure that allowed me to customize categories. Some of the information I want to add to 1Password wouldn't work with the current categories. Please add this feature.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for adding your custom category request here, @bullfish.

I hope you can make use of "pseudo-templates" with custom fields/sections to store your information in 1Password. :)

• StefanoGiacomelli
    StefanoGiacomelli
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Searching thru the several discussions forum I've found many requests of such implementation.
    And many of these come from 2010!
    I wonder how this feature was still to be implemented, since I don't see it as so complicated.
    Many other similar product do this.
    This feature in some post reply seems possible for the future, but when?
    In the meanwhile why don't make richer the exixting set of categories?
    For example the "SIM" and "Cellular phone" data were welcome.
    Thanks

sg

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @StefanoGiacomelli‌

I've merged your thread with an existing one.

The complication is it isn't a matter of editing a single file, my understanding is a lot of code works with the hardcoded types making it a involved change. Sadly I can't give a timeline as to when this might change.

• macker
    macker
    Community Member
    Options

This is lame. It's just so blatantly obvious to allow users to create their own categories. Everyone has their own way of organizing things. Examples: websites, computers, keys, education, health, florists, hotels, networks, airlines, music, news, transportation, utilities...

with 850 passwords not even sure how I could migrate from this imported csv. I see now it's easier for me to just keep current method - flat text file encrypted using bcrypt which uses 448 bit blowfish, then decrypting and just grepping for what I need.

Also what gives, I can't find any technical docs on how security is implemented with 1pass

• silkroad
    silkroad
    Community Member
    Options

Another requestor for Custom Categories or more released Category items for popular needs...please. The few you have provided are not enough!

• pwskura
    pwskura
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

When I left behind my Palm and WebConfidential, it was hard seeing how to do some things after I imported my records to 1Password years ago and started using it. More and more the Category issues make me want more from this program suite.

I have a strong fundamental suggestion in regards to implementation of requests for new Categories. If one thinks about core database design, your current system is like categories are separate tables in the 1Password database. If however you consider a fundamental design change, make category an attribute (column) of a password item. Make templates a much stronger feature. Strongly associate a template with a category. Thus, by changing a item's category the user is changing the template used to display and edit the record, but this change process would have to have more than a simple category selection; it might involve a prompt to allowing individual column mapping from one category's fields to another's. You might even be able to make it possible for the same record to have different views (like FIleMaker layouts), depending on whether you are looking for a serial number for a Software License or a login password for that software's Login.

So, here is what I have a problem with in the software engineer's choices for Categories in 1Password:

• Some categories are going nearly always carry 1 record. How many driver's licenses or social security numbers does the typical 1Password user need to store?
    • Some categories are never going to be used. I do not expect to use Outdoor Licenses.
    • Several categories almost always are linked. I have both a driver license and a state DMV login to manage that. I have a Rewards account and a web account to manage that. I have licensed software and a web site I login to for support.
    • I never quite understood why there was both a Memberships and a Reward Programs category; I am a member of a rewards program…and then there is that ad slogan membership has its rewards...
    • Sometimes an entry lands in the wrong category and it is not simple to just change it AND retain password history.

There are other issues unrelated to categories, like empty single items from Trash instead of only all, and sort column saved with each folder/smart folder (like the Finder), but I will stop here.

• cbantam
    cbantam
    Community Member
    Options

Please count me in as another user interested in custom categories. The original post inm this thread is from one year ago. Hope that's a strong enough hint. Thanks!

• DrScott
    DrScott
    Community Member
    Options

Please add my vote for custom categories. I'd like to add product serial numbers, for example, rather than have them all stored within my notes.

• KCL
    KCL
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it's been well over a year and nothing but "It's a good idea" from the Agile bits team.

Today, I was in the process of migrating over to 1Password from mSecure. I went through everything, moved my data to 1P and then realized my custom categories had not been transferred. Obviously, this was just a glitch as no modern password keeper would leave out such a foundational function. Or so I thought. I found this thread and am amazed at this glaring omission. Clearly a case of the coders assuming that no one could ever consider a category they hadn't thought of themselves. Someone should buy them a trip to 2015.

So, I will stop at this point and go back to mSecure. I'm just glad I got 1P in a package as opposed to buying it outright. I'd be really ticked off if I spent full price for this.

And for those of you reading this who know folks who are interested in password keepers -- make sure to pass along this small fact. Most people would assume (as I did) it's a standard function. It is not. You have to adapt the way you do business to how they've decided you should.

• KCL
    KCL
    Community Member
    Options

Another mSecure user here who wanted to switch over to 1Password. After installing, I realized you had no custom categories (stunning, for me, in a modern-day password app) and had to pull back to mSecure.

Let me know when you implement this and I'll give 1P another shot. Or who knows? Maybe mSecure will catch up with browser integration by then.

This discussion has been closed.