Touch ID freezes UI if touching home button during launch

grockk
grockk
Community Member

When launching 1password app or app extension with Touch ID enabled, if you are touching the home button the app unlocks before the pop up telling you to use Touch ID comes up. So then the only option is cancel which leaves the app in a frozen state waiting for master password but already unlocked. Only fix is to press the hardware lock button and then unlock and wait for the prompt before touching home button for Touch ID.

It's reproducable. Just launch the app while resting a finger on the home button.

Comments

• Hi @grockk,

I cannot reproduce this. I had my finger lying on the sensor before opening the app with another finger and it did bring up Touch ID before it went away in a few second and then unlocks the app.

Can you tell me which iPhone model you're using, which version of 1Password you have installed as well as the iOS version?

Can you also share more about how 1Password left before you open it again? Maybe it is an issue arising from the way it was exited or terminated. So, maybe you last unlocked 1Password in Safari or left 1Password running while the device sleeps. Anything you can tell me would help me figure out where the issue is.

Thanks!

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT‌,

I know this doesn't help you track it down but I've experienced this several times too, most recently today. I didn't report it because I couldn't find a reliable way to reproduce it.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.1 (12B436), 1Password 5.2 (502005)

• Hi @Penelope Pitstop‌,

Even if you can't reproduce it consistently, please do tell us about it, don't wait. If one of us can reproduce it just once as we test, we can get the logs that can narrow it down very quickly for our developers. Plus we can give you information to enable extra logging like below, so that we just need your logs to see what happens instead of trying to reproduce it. The logs might actually confirm an iOS issue rather 1Password.

Please enable the extra log like this (this goes for @grockk as well):

1. Open 1Password on your iOS device, unlock, go to Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics and tap on Log Settings
    2. Tap on UI Lock and Lock

Now, keep using the app as usual and when you manage to reproduce it, send us the diagnostics report via Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Send Diagnostics to support+forum@agilebits.com and include your forum username in the body, so I can quickly track it down.

Let me know when you sent the reports in, so I can look at it for you.

Thanks!

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

OK. Will do.

• Thanks!

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

I too have had this happen almost every time I open 1Password with my finger on the sensor. 1P unlocks behind the Touch ID prompt, but the prompt doesn't go away. If I lift and press my finger again, I get no response. I must then tap cancel to dismiss the Touch ID prompt. Once the prompt is not there the 1P interface is unlocked, but dimmed as if the prompt is still there and is unresponsive. I usually have to force quit to regain response (after authenticating with Touch ID). I too will begin logging and report my findings.

• MentalPower
    MentalPower
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Mine is slightly different in that the Home button also seems to be disabled. Going back to the lock screen (with sleep/wake) and re-unlocking is my workaround. It also happens on other TouchID apps, so its not restricted to 1P.

Edit: I've enabled logging and will send them over if I run across it again.

• MikeT
    edited December 2014

Hi guys,

Thanks for writing in and letting us know your experiences. We're not sure why Touch ID is behaving like that but we do have existing bug reports with Apple on some of the related issues. Hopefully, we'll figure out the cause behind it.

Note, please do ping me here the moment you sent in the logs.

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

@MentalPower‌ I have the same experience. The home button doesn't work for single or double click until I lock and unlock the phone, or force quit by holding the home button while at the slide to power off screen.

• MikeT
    edited December 2014

Hi @fatherfork,

Thanks for adding your experience in the mix. It sounds like Apple have some issues they need to fix with Touch ID. If we can get your logs when it happens again, we can use the information from iOS if it has anything to share and send it into Apple, so they can fix it.

• face
    face
    Community Member

Hi all,
    same here (still in last beta available through TestFlight).
    I've sent you logs with lock issue.
    The case is: #KNW-68897-135
    Hth, i'm here, as usual, if you need some more test.

• tizaks
    tizaks
    Community Member

I've had the same thing on and off for a while, at one point I thought it had been fixed because I didn't see it for a while, but then it came back

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

I haven't been able to reproduce this with the latest beta from Hockey. Still working on it.

• Hi guys,

@face: I got the logs, thanks. I don't see anything out of the norms but we'll keep analyzing and follow up with you with more questions.

@tizaks:

I've had the same thing on and off for a while, at one point I thought it had been fixed because I didn't see it for a while, but then it came back

As far as I know, we haven't done anything to fix this in the first place. That doesn't mean we didn't improve the reliability of Touch ID but we can't pinpoint this cause at the moment. We're still considering this as an issue with iOS 8, rather than with 1Password, and are waiting to hear back from Apple to see what's going on.

• Hi guys,

Can you answer the following questions for us:

1. What iOS device model are you using and what iOS version it is using?
    2. On this specific device, was it a clean install of iOS 8 or did it get updated from iOS 7 to iOS 8?
    3. At any time on this device, did you reset the Touch ID database via the Settings.app > Touch ID & Passcode?
  • fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member
    1. iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2 (I haven't been able to reproduce it on this version yet)
    2. Restore from iOS 7 backup, restored later from iOS 8 backup
    3. Yes, periodically for 1Password beta testing.
  • face
    face
    Community Member
    1. iPhone 6 plus, iOS 8.1.2
    2. It was iOS 8, and i've installed all my data from iCloud backup (from iPhone 5 iOS 6, 7, 8 upgrade). Don't know if in this case is possible to speak of clean install
    3. Never
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    1. iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2
    2. Updated.
    3. No.

Since my first post on this thread I haven't experienced the problem again.

• face
    face
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Again issue also on last beta 502009.

Send diagnostic (with lock and lock ui enabled).

New case #TAI-82497-725

• Hi guys,

Thanks for the info.

@face:

It was iOS 8, and i've installed all my data from iCloud backup (from iPhone 5 iOS 6, 7, 8 upgrade). Don't know if in this case is possible to speak of clean install

Do you mean you restored from a backup after installing iOS 8 or do you mean you did a clean install of iOS 8 and iCloud downloaded app datas for all of the apps you re-installed without restoring from the backup?

I'm looking at the report, can you tell me if you created the report right after you kill the app and then unlock the app once again? I'm trying to pinpoint the timing of the issue in the logs.

• face
    face
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Hi @‌MikeT :
    i've buy a new iPhone 6 plus.

When asked i've tell to restore my last backup (done on my old iPhone 5).

On iPhone 5 i've iOS 6 > update iOS 7 > update iOS 8

Hope it's clearer now.

On lock side:yes i've created report after lock. I've turn off the screen (not the iPhone) using the hardware button.

Access again to 1P and send report.

There's something more that i can do ?

• Hi @face,

Thanks for giving more information on that.

There's something more that i can do ?

No, thank you. You're all good. We're looking at the reports you sent from both times and unfortunately, we're not finding any useful information. It looks like the issue might be deeper than what we can currently get with our report.

Would you be willing to try to reset the Touch ID database and see if it is improved? Right now, from all of the information we've gathered, we're looking at this as an iOS issue as we're already filed 2-3 different but related bug reports with Apple.

• face
    face
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,

how can i reset the TouchID database ?

I've seen in preference panel both in PI and iOS but don't found any reset option ...

Thanks

• Hi @face,

Here's the instructions:

1. Disable the Touch ID feature in 1Password and lock the app
    2. Open the app switcher by double-pressing the home button and swipe up 1Password to kill it.
    3. Open the Settings.app, scroll down to Touch ID and Passcode. Enter your passcode, and then turn off Touch ID, both for unlocking the phone and for iTunes and App Store
    4. Disable the passcode as well, then re-enable the passcode
    5. Turn Touch ID back on, re-enter your fingerprints
    6. Finally, turn Touch ID on in 1Password.
  • fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

I cannot make this happen anymore. I'll continue logging and let you know as soon as it happens again, if it does.

I've also noticed since I first chimed in here that the authentication screen and Touch ID prompt are much more smooth lately. Not sure if related, but I figured you'll appreciate the feedback.

• I do, thank you.

As mentioned before, it really sounds like an issue with the local authentication system on the device, the one that handles the Touch ID and PIN code for us. If it is flakey for some reasons, it'd affect our app. Hopefully, it is more stable in the iOS 8.2 they're working on right now. I haven't heard from the community if it is better.

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member

@MikeT‌

Same problem.

1. iPhone 6+
    2. iOS 8.1.0 (clean install)
    3. No
  • Hi @jfelchner,

Since it was a clean install, resetting Touch ID database won't help. Is it only problematic in 1Password? No other apps show the same problem?

• face
    face
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Hi @MikeT,

i've not (yet) reset TouchID database but just wonder: any chance that also this issue can be for the zoom option enabled ?

I've seen that also other beta testers have iPhone 6 / 6 + ...

I've disabled zoom (as said in other post) and seems also this issue is gone (at least for now, finger crossed ...).

I'll update this post if the issue will be represent (with zoom off).

• face
    face
    Community Member

UPDATE: no, unfortunately this issue is still here, even with zoom off.

This discussion has been closed.