Mac/IOS Sync Mismatch

Options
delamp
delamp
Community Member

Please help. I am new to 1Password. I am moving from Roboform due to the incompatibility with IOS8 Safari. I am using a mac, windows and 4 IOS devices. The mac has 62 logins but the IOS devices have only 55. I am using dropbox sync. Why are the IOS devices not picking up the correct number of logins. (NOTE: I haven't set up my windows device at home yet so I don't know what it will say is in the dropbox keychain)

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @delamp‌

So there are a couple of things I'd like you to try for me please.

Create a test item on your Mac and say two iOS devices (we'll call them "iOS A" and "iOS B", each distinguishable from the others. Give it a moment to sync.

What devices see which test items?

After that can you take a look in your agilekeychain please using 1PasswordAnywhere and see what test items are present.

Let us know the results of that and we can take it from there.

• delamp
    delamp
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting. I added the IOSA and IOSB to my mac. When I opened up the Anywhere utility, the IOSA and IOSB did not show up on the application. I then added an IOSC to the iPhone5. I opened the anywhere again, and the IOSC did show up on anywhere and on the iPad as well. The iPad/iphone are synching to Anywhere but the mac is not.

I deleted the sync info on the mac. It was set to go to a sync folder on drop box which is where the IOS devices find it as well. I set the mac to go to the root folder of dropbox. The mac created a .ws.agile.1Password.settings file. The mac wouldn't sync though.

I moved files around on the finder in the drop box but when I look at it on the browser, I am not seeing the changes I performed.

I'll keep trying stuff until I hear back.
    Thank you for your help.

• delamp
    delamp
    Community Member
    Options

The files I moved on dropbox from finder did finally update via the browser. It looks like the mac will create the chain but not update it

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @delamp‌

To me it sounds like there might be more than a single .agilekeychain in your Dropbox. You know how to see which agilekeychain your Mac is using so I'd recommend doing the same with your iOS devices. You can do this by the following Settings > Vaults and select your Primary vault, touching the little i to the right. In there it should say Sync Service Dropbox and if you select that option it should give you the path just under where it says Dropbox at the top.

If you have any troubles with that let me know. I think it might just be a case of getting them to all point to the same keychain though.

• delamp
    delamp
    Community Member
    Options

Hello All,
    thank you for your input. It did get me started and as any computer professional would do, I just went in (taking the information you provided) and beyond that, just hit buttons:)

I do have all devices using the same data now. It looks like the following was the issue.

Dropbox\sync\1Password.agilekeychain <----BAD

Letting 1Password create its own directory
    Dropbox\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain <----GOOD

I was using the BACKUP tab to sync. I believe this is BAD and did NOTHING
    I found the WIFI Sync on the tool bar which did sync it <----GOOD

I would encourage you GURUs to correct me if my assumption is wrong. I thank you all so much for getting me started on the right path.

Hope your Thanksgiving was awesome
    -Mike

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @delamp‌

Over time, best practices about where to keep our agilekeychain have changed, especially with the introduction of secondary vaults. If we end up with the situation where different copies are looking at different keychains then yes, definitely bad.

Backups can be handy not only for having the protection of older states (its primary use) but can be used to quickly set up another machine too. For continuous syncing though you're correct, not the way to go.

Can I just ask, are you syncing all your devices with Wi-Fi Sync now or are you using a mixture of Dropbox and Wi-Fi, I wasn't sure I could tell from your post. I just want to make sure syncing will continue to work for you and keep all of your devices up to date.

• delamp
    delamp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi littlebobbytables,
    Honestly, I'm a bit confused with the synching. I am pointing to dropbox for all of my devices; i.e. one Mac, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. All of my devices use my wifi while I'm at home. That's why I assume i'm using wifi sync but I don't know.

Does this answer your question?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @delamp,

Sorry for any confusion! Connecting your devices to your home network via Wi-Fi is different than the Wi-Fi sync option in 1Password. What @littlebobbytables was asking you is, if you go to the Sync settings in 1Password on your Mac and iOS devices, which sync option is currently enabled - Dropbox sync or Wi-Fi sync?

In 1Password for iOS, you can only use one sync option at a time. But in 1Password for Mac, it's possible to have both Dropbox sync and Wi-Fi sync enabled simultaneously. Ideally (and to avoid confusion), you would want to use the same sync method on all devices. It sounds like you're using Dropbox sync, but in one of your previous messages, it sounded like you might have tried using Wi-Fi sync as well. However, we may have misunderstood.

So I guess the important question is, is everything working correctly now, or are you still having trouble syncing 1Password? Hopefully everything is ok, but we're more than happy to continue helping you if there is still a sync problem.

• delamp
    delamp
    Community Member
    Options

My sync issues are good for now. thank you'

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know @delamp - glad everything works now !

• delamp
    delamp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, my sync issues have returned. I just don't understand what the issue is. I have 125 logins on my mac and 122 on each of my IOS devices. I've locked and re-sync'd the mac. I've stopped synching on each IOS device and resented merging data. No luck. When I installed the 8.2 iOS, I opened up 1Password and entered the correct password. I got a failure of the login forcing me to use the previous login. I noticed that there was a password change. It seems really odd to me that it maintained the previous password rather than using the password of the vault in use.

I am really frustrated. I'm disappointed that I purchased the product as well as the IOS upgrade. I may ask for a refund if this is not resolved.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @delamp,

I'm sorry this continues to be a problem! This might just be a simple problem with the settings. The first thing to check is that Dropbox sync is enabled in 1Password on your Mac and all iOS devices:

On your Mac, open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, then click the Sync tab. Does that show that it's syncing with Dropbox? If not, follow these steps to set up Dropbox sync.

On each iOS device, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync. Does it show that the Sync Service is Dropbox? If not, follow these steps to set up Dropbox sync.

If Dropbox sync is already set up in 1Password on your Mac and each iOS device, follow these steps to make sure they're syncing with the same keychain file in Dropbox:

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Click the Sync tab
    • Check the file path for the 1Password.agilekeychain file

On each iOS device:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Sync Service
    • Check the file path for the 1Password.agilekeychain file (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox)

If the problem is that one or more are syncing with a different keychain file than the others, you'll need to disable the sync, then set it up again and choose the correct keychain file.

Let us know how it goes and what you find, thanks!

• delamp
    delamp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AG. The dropbox keychain is active and correct. It is off of the dropbox root in the 1Password subfolder. According to the form, it synched 38 minutes ago when I unlocked the utility.

Both of my IOS devices are pointing to the same dropbox account. This was synching properly but now is not.

I went into dropbox and logged into the 1Password.html to see if the mac is synching. It is not.

I disabled the synch on the mac and re-instantiated it, locked/unlocked to force the sync. I did not delete the data on dropbox but merged it.

The number of logins is 122 but on my mac, it's 127.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @delamp‌

I'm sorry to hear you've had so many headaches with syncing, it really isn't meant to be this much of a hassle.

It might be worth completely wiping the agilekeychain in your Dropbox and starting with a fresh one, see if that helps. If I've read your last couple of posts properly that is something you've not done, maybe tried to avoid?

What I'd suggest is the following:

Ensure a good backup on each machine/device

• Mac. In 1Password's preferences switch to the Backup tab and click on the Backup Now button
    • iOS. In 1Password go to Settings > Advanced and click the Create Backup button

Disable Sync on all devices. You know what you're doing here - you've had too much practice at it.

Ensure there are no agilekeychains in your Dropbox.

Enable Sync on your Mac first and then check 1PasswordAnywhere and see if the numbers add up. If a brand new agilekeychain doesn't have the correct number of items something is definitely not right on your Mac. You will need to add up the numbers though as 1PasswordAnywhere doesn't have an all item count.

If it is correct does everything merge correctly once you add the iOS devices?

If you need any of that in more detail let us know. Worst case scenario you know you have a good backup on each device that you can restore if needed.

• delamp
    delamp
    Community Member
    Options

Your instructions were helpful. I didn't feel comfortable deleting the keychain when it took me a boatload of time to get 128 logins entered over a weekend.

I was successful getting the sync to work but there was a twist. The dropbox sync on my mac was not working with the dropbox site. I believe that something happened to it with the last update for the mac. It was no longer on my toolbar but did show up in finder. I reinstalled the dropbox app and it started synching.

I synched my two devices (IOS) and they all are working correctly. At this time, I believe this can be closed (again). Thank you again for your help. I hope I can stop being a pest.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@delamp, thanks for letting us know how it all worked out! It sounds like there was a problem with Dropbox on your Mac in general, not specifically in 1Password. I'm happy to hear you were able to solve that! :smiley:

If you need anything else, we're here for you.

This discussion has been closed.