Feedback on the New Login Creator in 1Password 5.2 for iOS

Fooligan
Fooligan
Community Member
edited December 2014 in iOS

I noticed that I am unable to save a new login item if the web address is left blank. The result is that there is always a "Next" button that cycles through all of the fields continuously.

I typically need to save a login for things like iOS apps that have local login information that is not associated with an online account.

Comments

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

In general I like the look of the new creation form for login items where the required items are progressively revealed. I think it is much more user friendly in principle.

However there are a few issues:

1. I am required to submit the Name or website, Username or email, Password and web address before I get the option to save the item. I might not want to supply all of them. Since we have the little arrow for Next to the right of each field, might we have the Save button appear after providing the item name?
    2. After you submit a password the keyboard remains open and obscures the website field even though the input focus has moved there. I think this is a bug and it should scroll the form so that the input focus is shown.
    3. There is no password recipe option available on the password field.
  • jmreekes
    jmreekes
    Community Member

I noticed #3. This wouldn't be an issue if there was a password recipe in the settings area. This would be nice to be able to set a default receive that could then be tailored on an individual basis in the creation area

• jmreekes
    jmreekes
    Community Member

Also noticed that the only way to generate a password in the new login creation process is to adjust the character length slider.

• Hi guys,

Thanks for the very useful feedback, this is why we keep improving the app with your help.

@Penelope Pitstop

I am required to submit the Name or website, Username or email, Password and web address before I get the option to save the item. I might not want to supply all of them. Since we have the little arrow for Next to the right of each field, might we have the Save button appear after providing the item name?

That's strange, that's how it was in one of the previous internal betas. This is likely a regression, this should show the save button after the item's title only. I've filed a bug report for this.

Bug ID #: OPI-2050

After you submit a password the keyboard remains open and obscures the website field even though the input focus has moved there. I think this is a bug and it should scroll the form so that the input focus is shown.

It looked fine on iPhone 6 but smaller screens didn't scroll it up. I've filed a bug report for this as well.

Bug ID #: OPI-2052

There is no password recipe option available on the password field.

This is being worked on.

Bug ID #: OPI-2002

@jmreekes:

Also noticed that the only way to generate a password in the new login creation process is to adjust the character length slider.

It'd be nice to automatically generate the password and select it, so you can tap on backspace to clear it if you want to type it in manually. I've filed a request in our tracker.

Improvement ID #: OPI-2053

Thanks guys!

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member

Just to note I also noticed most of the above when creating a new Login on the latest beta, in particular the fact I couldn't save my login item without entering some text into the website field.

Also you have to save your item and edit again before you are able to use the password recipe - this caused a problem as the login I was trying to create required me to include symbols and a certain length which I couldn't adjust.

• Hi @Fedorov,

Thanks for your feedback. I've passed it on to our design team that'll be looking into it.

• schellack
    schellack
    Community Member

I noticed the same issues (well, #s 1 & 3).
    The UI also didn't change when I had no password filled out (hitting next just kept cycling through the fields on the New Login page) vs when all the fields were filled out (hitting next actually saves the login). I would think the Next button would change to say Save.

• Thanks for the great feedback everyone, we've opened reports in our internal bug tracker and should be addressing them in upcoming betas.

• foad
    foad
    Community Member

I like the new UI flow for creating a new login but I would suggest one thing. Using a generated password isn't obvious. Tapping the arrow to go the next field doesn't generate a new password. As far as I can tell, you have to tap the slider. That still isn't completely obvious to users.

Getting people accustomed to creating secure passwords easily is critical, that's why I recommend 1Password to everyone I know, but I think removing the bits of friction for new users is important to getting them to adopt best practices.

Just my two cents.

• Hi @foad,

Using a generated password isn't obvious. Tapping the arrow to go the next field doesn't generate a new password.

That's a bug, it should be automating a new password for you. We'll have it fixed in the future betas.

• foad
    foad
    Community Member

That's a bug, it should be automating a new password for you. We'll have it fixed in the future betas.

Awesome! Will the password generated appear as soon as you tap into the field?

• Hi guys,

@Fooligan:

I merged your thread into this one as "Penelope Pitstop" shared the same thoughts.

I noticed that I am unable to save a new login item if the web address is left blank. The result is that there is always a "Next" button that cycles through all of the fields continuously.

We had this working internally a while ago where it would let you save with just one of the titles filled in. We're reviewing the Login creation process to see how we can integrate the save option throughout the whole process. I've added your feedback to our tracker for our design team to take in consideration as they do the review.

Bug ID #: OPI-2050

@foad:

Awesome! Will the password generated appear as soon as you tap into the field?

We don't know yet. The goal is that once you finish the username and tap Next, you'll see the password field with the new generated password filled and selected move up. The selected state means you can easily tap on 'x' to clear it and enter your own password manually if need to.

Nothing is set yet, we're always reviewing different options to find the best solution.

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member

Saw tweet saying new iOS beta is out, presumably you've now made the switch from Hockeyapp to Testflight but I'm not seeing anything on Testflight - I filled out the email as per the top post in this forum. Thanks

• Hi @Fedorov,

Did you get an email back from Michael Fey? If not, I'll look into it. Can you tell me if the email address in your forum is the same one you sent to us?

• argon
    argon
    Community Member

Will there be an option to copy the password during generation? The only way I found to copy it was to save the login then copy it out again. It didn't seem possible to reveal the plain text. I personally prefer to copy the password and complete signup before saving in 1P, though that might be a bad habit I should get out of.

• MikeT
    edited December 2014

Hi @argon,

We don't have plans to enable that. It is best to save the Login first and then copy it there. It is risky to leave an item hanging like this when you switch out from 1Password.

Suppose the site or app accepts your new password and knocks on wood, 1Password crashes when you go back, you'd lose the data. It is always best to save and edit than to not save and lose it.

In the latest RC build, there is now a Reveal Password button, which will then change into a revealed password when you tap into it, it won't show up in the concealed field above.

We do our best to save data as much as we can but sometimes external factors would step in before the saving process would finish.

• Fedorov
    Fedorov
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT‌ I got a Testflight email on Wednesday and now enjoying this wonderful new set of betas. The new login process and all the improvements are excellent.
    Keep up the good work

• Thanks for the feedback, I've shared it with the team as they love hearing this.

This discussion has been closed.