NUCLEAR MELTDOWN - Please Help!

Todd Bazik
Todd Bazik
Community Member
edited December 2014 in Mac

Hi guys. I've gotten myself into a huge mess. I got locked out of my iCloud account and without the recovery key, there's no way to get it back. I've pretty much accepted my loss and am now trying to move on. Made a new iCloud account and have slowly been going into the over 350 websites i have an account with and changing my email address to the new address one at a time. Thanks to 1Password I have a nice list of everything I need to update. So for that, I am forever grateful. I wouldn't have remembered all of these accounts without you. Not a chance in hell. Now, here's the real problem. Since my old iCloud account is gone, every single App I've ever purchased both on my phone and on my Mac are also gone. I think i've paid for 1password in the past before you guys actually appeared in the App Store, and then I think i've paid for it again through the App Store. Is there anyway one of you can contact me and help me either transfer the license to my new address or maybe give me a free version of the app based on all of the above? I've lost all my emails, calendars, contacts, apps and who knows what else. Time will only tell. I can't lose my 1Password too.

To clarify, the email address I used to purchase 1password is no longer accessible by me, so if you email me there, I won't receive it. I am looking for a solution to get a new version of 1password to tie to my new email address. The app still works on my phone and computer, however once I log out of the old locked account on my phone and into the new account, I won't be able to update the app, nor will i be able to redownload it if I completely wipe my phone and start from scratch, which I can't even do right now because Find My iPhone is still on and can't be turned off, which is a requirement for wiping my phone.

Im just so screwed it's not even funny.

Thanks and Happy Holidays

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

If your purchase was indeed from the AgileBits web store, send the email address you used to make your buy to support+licenses@agilebits.com, along with any other relevant details. If they have your records, they'll send you anew license and change your email address.

Your message seems to suggest a possibily that you purchased from Apple. If that's the case, the AgileBits folks won't have any record of your purchase or any way to help you. apple will need to do that.

I've had my own nightmare with multiple Apple IDs. I know from that experience that they won't let you merge accounts. But they might be able to help you regain access to your purchases under your previous Apple ID.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Todd Bazik

It wasn't until you mentioned Find my iPhone that I realised that losing an Apple account is even worse than just the purchases. You're right, that phone is essentially a massively expensive paperweight as you can't sell it. To say that sucks is a massive understatement.

Do you happen to have the email receipts for any of your 1Password related purchases that you made through Apple? Normally we could point you to iTunes where you can see a history of your purchases but that isn't going to work for you.

If you don't object, can I ask how you got locked out of your Apple ID?

Let us know if you still have the receipts.

• Todd Bazik
    Todd Bazik
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Here's how it happened. I made a LinkedIn account and while doing so it said "enter your email and password to load your contacts and see who else is on linkedin". So I did that. I know my password was correct for sure (i use 1password :smile: ) but it still wasn't taking it. I did it three times. Then all of a sudden I got an email from iCloud "someone tried logging into your iCloud from a browser". I didn't think anything of it at the moment because I knew it was me, not some hacker. Well then my emails stopped coming and my computer started telling me my iCloud password is wrong. So i went to appleid.apple.com and it said my account is locked. The only way to unlock it is with the Recovery Key. It's true, I have no excuse for not saving my recovery key somewhere accessible. But the problem is two step verification is supposed to give you the option of texting you with a code to unlock your password. Your trusted device is supposed to be proof that you are who you say you are and not some hacker. Only if you don't have access to your trusted device (if you lose your phone) AND you don't remember your password is it supposed to completely lock you out and ask for a recovery key. Unfortunately in my case, I was never given that option. Never received any texts. Just demanded my recovery key which I don't have. That account is now gone forever.

I have a total of 544 log ins in my 1 password. Over the past few days i've been logging into every website and changing my email address one at a time to my newly made email which is gmail because I will never trust iCloud again. Based on a smart folder i've created, I still have 173 to go. The process has been monotonous and painful but again, I will forever be grateful to you guys for at least making this process easier on me.

I don't have access to the receipts unfortunately. I do have them, saved in a folder called "Receipts" in my iCloud mail. But since I can't access it, I won't be able to get them. I could however provide the email address I used to purchase the software before you guys made the switch to the Mac App Store. You should be able to find my old license like that for the version of 1password I purchased through agile bits. I only upgraded to the App Store version to be able to sync my vaults through iCloud. I don't know how to prove I paid for the software through the mac app store though. Maybe some screen shots?

I just took these screenshots. Since the App is already installed on my computer, I am able to use it and sync my vault with my new iCloud account, but I won't get any future updates or be able to download it again if i format my computer because I got the app using my old locked account. Im sorry if its getting confusing. This has been a nightmare. I guess the screenshots don't really prove diddly squat. I just thought if you could see that i have iCloud syncing as an option, then maybe it would prove I paid for the app through the mac app store.

Thank you for listening to my rants.

• Hi guys,

@“Todd Bazik”:

I sent you a PM to get your license. Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you.

You should disable the sync to iCloud and switch to Dropbox and/or Wi-Fi Sync.

But the problem is two step verification is supposed to give you the option of texting you with a code to unlock your password.

The way it works at Apple is you use the two-step verification process to verify you when you’re logging in but it is not meant to verify you once your account locks down. Only a recovery key can unlock the account.

You aren’t the only one affected by this unfortunately as it was bought up in this article.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Isn't this the reason why we use 1Password? Apple doesn't allow copy and paste of their recovery code (Windows 7) so I've typed the code manually into 1Password. Unfortunately, at least for now, 1P doesn't allow photo attachments in their iOS version.

• MikeT
    edited December 2014

Hi @wkleem,

Yes, you should store the recovery key in 1Password, a copy in your safe or deposit box and other secure places.

Taking pictures of data to store in 1Password is something we want to do for the mobile devices in the future.

This discussion has been closed.