How to purchase a license for 1Password 4 [Solution: Purchase v5 - license file will work in v4]

Steve_Jobs
Steve_Jobs
Community Member
edited December 2014 in Mac

I just downloaded 1Password4 for my Mac and this is insane! I tried to buy the upgrade license from 1Password3, and all I can find on the Site is the means to buy 1Password5! I must be missing something here. I wanted to contact AgileBits directly and couldn't find a means to do that either. I do want to buy an upgrade for 1Password. Help!

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

1Password 4 and 5 use the very same license file. You can use it to upgrade to version 4 and you'll be all ready for version 5 when you want to install it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Steve_Jobs,

I hope that hawkmoth's advice helped - if you're having any trouble installing the license file into 1Password 4, please let me know.

If you haven't already done so, you can snag a copy of 1Password 4 on our downloads page - just scroll to the bottom for the 'Legacy' versions. :)

• Steve_Jobs
    Steve_Jobs
    Community Member

Thank you hawkmoth and Megan. I did succeed in purchasing the update. Question: Why doesn't the Agilebits site say the update is for more that 1Password5? It sure would have been helpful. Now that I've updated, I have no idea what my license key is. The update site was totally confusing, listing my old key and some other key that may or may not be the update one. I ended up clicking on the link that automatically updated my 1Password 4.3.3. I thought I could then just read the new key from 1Password 4.3.3. No such luck. Is there a way I can determine what my new key is?

I appreciate all your help,

Steve

• Steve_Jobs
    Steve_Jobs
    Community Member

Well, my previous post was answered......sorta. I don't think it's me. Here's the salient portion of the confirmation email I received with the sensitive part removed:

Your 1Password 5 license entitles you to use 1Password 3 and 4 as well. Your 1Password 3 license key is [this is my old 1Password3 License Key] . 1Password 4 uses the same license file as 1Password 5.

Questions is: What the heck is my 1Password 4 and 1Password 5 license key? Am I the only one mystified? I think this means I now also have a new 1Password 3 license key.

How can I determine what license key my 1Password 4.3.3 is using?

Arrrrgh!,

Steve

• Hi Steve,

1Password 4 is considered legacy at this point, so we don't advertise it as being for sale.

I have no idea what my license key is

1Password 4/5 do not use a license key. They use a license file. There is no such thing as a 1Password 4/5 license 'key'.

Thanks!

Ben

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Steve,

1Password 4 and 1Password 5 use the same license file. The email you received should allow you to download a copy of the file. Save it inside 1Password as a software entry for easy retrieval later on.

1Password 3 uses a key, if needed one can be generated by the staff for you.

• If you were not previously using 1Password 3

** If you previously used 1Password 3 and used the same email to purchase this time, then yes this should be your old key for 1Password 3.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Steve_Jobs, I hope the answers above were helpful for you. If you need more help with the license file, please let us know.

Happy New Year! :smiley:

This discussion has been closed.