Syncing with Dropbox

Options

I am running 1P 3.8.22 build 32010. I've updated by iPhone to iOS 8 and bought a new iPad. I used to sync all my devices using wi-fi but I cannot connect the new iPad for wi-fi sync This is no longer available from the settings in 1P 3 on my mac. I decided to move to dropbox sync but 1P 3 is telling me dropbox is not running on my mac although it is. How can I get the syncing to work?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @draffler, welcome to the forums!

What version of 1Password are you using on your iOS devices? If you're using 1Password 3 for iOS, unfortunately it won't be able to sync via Dropbox because of changes Dropbox made to their API back in September 2013.

If you're using 1Password 4 or 5 for iOS, you should certainly be able to sync with 1Password 3 for Mac via Dropbox. You said you get a message about Dropbox not running on your Mac. What is the exact message, and where are you seeing that? Do you see the Dropbox icon in the menubar at the top of your Mac? If so, click on that and see if it says it's up to date, or if it shows any messages. You can also get to the Dropbox preferences from there, to make sure everything looks ok.

If you're still getting an error from 1Password, try adding a new file to your Dropbox folder, then go to Dropbox.com from a web browser and sign into your account. Does the new file show up there?

• draffler
    draffler
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I am running 1password 5 for iOS. The problem is with my 1Password 3 on my Mac. In the preferences, general tab, I am selecting Move to Drop box and the pop-up appearing is "Dropbox process is not running. Please make sure Dropbox is installed and running." Dropbox is installed and running and I can add a new file and it does appear when I login via a web browser.

• Cat
    Cat
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to sync 1password on Mac (v. 3.8.11) with 1password on my new iPhone (v. 5.1.2). I know I can't use iCloud and that there are also syncing issues using wifi with the iOS 5.1.2.

So I tried to use Dropbox to sync. As instructed, I clicked on Preferences and selected "Move to Dropbox." But I receive the following message, "Dropbox process is not running. Please make sure Dropbox is installed and running." Note I have dropbox installed on my computer, and it is running.

I've tried re-launching the software and restarting my computer but that makes no difference.

Note I also tried creating a new vault on my iPhone (although I don't want a new vault -- rather to use my existing vault) and was able to create a folder and file in Dropbox for this new vault from my iPhone. I deleted this folder and its file in case they were causing a problem.

Also note that I have and can still sync (via wifi) my Mac to my iPad (not my iPhone), which still has iOS v. 3.7.2. Additionally, I also downloaded v5.1.2 for my iPad and was about to import all the data from the older version on my iPad to the newer version on my iPad.

Advice? Thanks

• Cat
    Cat
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same problem.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This post from AgileBits on the 1P for iOS forum may be of some preliminary help to you.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cat‌

I think we might need a little more information on your Mac as the key part seems to be figuring out why 1Password 3 for Mac isn't connecting to Dropbox. We know the version of 1Password on your Mac but what version of OS X are you running, what version of Dropbox and how have you verified that it is indeed running?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @draffler,

Thanks for getting back to us with those details! Here's what we'll do:

• In 1Password preferences, right click on the filename and select the option "Show in Finder"
    • Quit 1Password
    • Open a Finder window to your Dropbox account
    • Create a 1Password folder at the root of your Dropbox folder
    • Drag the 1Password.agilekeychain file into the 1Password folder
    • Double-click on the 1Password.agilekeychain file in it's new location in Dropbox
    • 1Password will open and prompt you for your Master Password
    • In Preferences, confirm that your new keychain location is Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Please let me know if this gets things sorted out for you!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cat‌

I've merged the two threads. Ideally you want to keep discussion of an issue to one location to reduce the possibility of confusion or duplication of effort. See if Megan's post helps.

• Cat
    Cat
    Community Member
    Options

Littlebobbytables and Megan -- Thanks for your help. I followed Megan's advice. At first it did not work because dragging only created an alias in the Dropbox folder (thus, even when I clicked it to launch, 1Password used the file that remained in my application folder). However, I was able to get an actual copy in my Dropbox folder by using the copy/paste option in the Finder. And that worked! My 1password software not recognizes my Dropbox.

But now I have another question. As noted -- in trying to solve this problem, I created a new (empty) vault on my iPhone. I want to delete this vault on my iPhone and replace with the full vault on my computer. Should I just merge these (which is the current option on my iPhone)?

Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cat,

I'm so glad that you were able to get your database into Dropbox - thanks for letting us know!

I created a new (empty) vault on my iPhone. I want to delete this vault on my iPhone and replace with the full vault on my computer. Should I just merge these (which is the current option on my iPhone)?

Did you use the same Master Password for this new vault on your iPhone as you have on your desktop? If so, you can use the merge option.

If not, and the vault on iOS is empty (there's no data in it that you want to save), I would suggest reinstalling the iOS app. When you open it for the first time, you'll have the option to use an existing vault.

I hope this gets you all sorted out, but we're here if you have any other questions. :)

• Cat
    Cat
    Community Member
    Options

Yes - same password. This worked! Thanks so much. You all provide the most excellent customer service (now if you could only help me figure out how to get my offline Calendar sync on my iPhone). Happy New Year! Cat

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cat,

Thanks so much for the kind words - I'm so glad we were able to help you out here. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

And a happy new year to you as well! :)

• draffler
    draffler
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! The combined info worked for me as well and I now have syncing with dropbox working. Happy new year!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @draffler,

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! I hope that 1Password works perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any further questions or concerns, we're here to help. :)

And all the best in the new year to you, too!

This discussion has been closed.