1Password Damaged and can't be opened [Resolved: download fresh copy]

CaperJR
CaperJR
Community Member
edited January 2015 in Mac

I am unable to add new info to categories. I get a message "1 Password is damaged and can't be opened. Delete 1 Password and download it again from the APP Store."
Do I follow this direction? If I do, will all the information I now have set up be lost? I am not techno savvy and am worried that I may cause myself more problems without some direction. Looking forward to some help. Thanks.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@CaperJR‌

1. Move the damaged copy from the application folder to the trash.

DO NOT USE AN APP CLEANER They have been known to occasionally get overly zealous and remove data files aka your passwords

1. Empty the trash
    2. Download a fresh copy from the app store.

Since this is the start of a new year... (ALMOST) I would like to recommend you use some type of backup software to protect all your valuable files. Start 2015 out right and ensure you have some type of backup system in place.

Here is an article from iMore on the subject. http://www.imore.com/how-set-complete-backup-strategy-your-mac-time-machine-cloning-and-cloud

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CarperJR,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble! I hope that @thightower‌'s advice has helped - he's given precisely the steps that I would have.

I just wanted to add one bit of comfort: the steps provided above will have no effect on your data. Your data is stored in a separate location from the app files to ensure that your data is not accidentally deleted if you need to reinstall the app. This is also why we don't recommend app cleaners - they'll often search out extra files, such as your data file, and try to delete it as well, to remove all traces of the app.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns!

• CaperJR
    CaperJR
    Community Member

Hey Thightower and Megan. Thanks for your help. I followed Thightower's directions and it worked like a charm. Much appreciated! I'll be checking out the 'backup' article.
    Happy New Year!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CaperJR‌

Whoo! I'm so glad to hear that you're all sorted out - thanks for letting us know.

Since this particular issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at [email protected] - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.