Dropbox sync error - Failed to list remote data folder in Dropbox

Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: iOS 8 Dropbox sync not working [See fix steps in post #14].

Comments

• bstein
    bstein
    Community Member

I am also plagued by Dropbox Sync issues and all suggestions in this thread have failed. I literally just reinstalled DB and 1Password on my iPhone 5S and no luck.

The specific failure before and after reinstallation: "Failed to list remote data folder in Dropbox. Please try again later. Path:/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/"

• The /default/ folder can be reached in Dropbox on the phone and .1password files listed.
    • Initial selection of the vault attempts to merge and fails.

Dropbox 3.6.1
    iOS 8.1.2 / iPhone 5S
    iOS 1Password 5.1.2
    OS X 1Password 5.0.2
    OS X 10.10.1

Interestingly, it isn't consistent to be prompted by Dropbox to allow 1Password access on fresh installations.

Let me know what additional logs/etc are required to sort this out.

Brian

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bstein,

I'm sorry you're having trouble syncing via Dropbox! I moved your message to a new thread since it seems to be a different issue with Dropbox sync.

To make sure I understand, it sounds like this is happening when trying to set up Dropbox sync on your iPhone. Does Dropbox sync work correctly in 1Password on your Mac?

The message you're seeing means 1Password cannot communicate with Dropbox. We've seen it happen when Dropbox is blocked on the network, but it sounds like you're able to browse your files in the Dropbox app. Can you also try logging into Dropbox.com from Safari on your iPhone? Does it work correctly from the Dropbox website?

Are you getting that error while your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network, or cellular? If you're using Wi-Fi and turn that off in order to use cellular data, does it make a difference for Dropbox sync in 1Password?

• bstein
    bstein
    Community Member

@Drew_AG‌

I'm sorry you're having trouble syncing via Dropbox! I moved your message to a new thread since it seems to be a different issue with Dropbox sync.

OK by me.

To make sure I understand, it sounds like this is happening when trying to set up Dropbox sync on your iPhone. Does Dropbox sync work correctly in 1Password on your Mac?

That is correct. DropBox sync on the desktop works just fine, the failure is only on iOS devices.

The message you're seeing means 1Password cannot communicate with Dropbox. We've seen it happen when Dropbox is blocked on the network, but it sounds like you're able to browse your files in the Dropbox app. Can you also try logging into Dropbox.com from Safari on your iPhone? Does it work correctly from the Dropbox website?

I can browse dropbox.com as expected in Safari.

Are you getting that error while your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network, or cellular? If you're using Wi-Fi and turn that off in order to use cellular data, does it make a difference for Dropbox sync in 1Password?

It was originally with Wifi. Using cellular data makes no difference (it still fails the same way).

I've logged into my Dropbox account on the web, removed 1Password access in the security list and when trying to setup sync on my phone it correctly added the application back with "Full Dropbox" access.

FWIW, I have the exact same behavior on both my iPad Air and iPhones (I've tried both 5S/6).

Brian

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bstein,

I've logged into my Dropbox account on the web, removed 1Password access in the security list and when trying to setup sync on my phone it correctly added the application back with "Full Dropbox" access.

Thanks for letting me know! Did that solve the problem, or are you still getting the error when trying to enable Dropbox sync?

If you're still running into the same problem, can you please confirm how many devices you're syncing (or trying to sync) with 1Password? I believe you're mentioned your Mac, an iPad, and two iPhones. Are there any others?

• bstein
    bstein
    Community Member

Thanks for letting me know! Did that solve the problem, or are you still getting the error when trying to enable Dropbox sync?

I am having the same issue.

If you're still running into the same problem, can you please confirm how many devices you're syncing (or trying to sync) with 1Password? I believe you're mentioned your Mac, an iPad, and two iPhones. Are there any others?

I should clarify re: iPhones. I just replaced my 5S with a 6 over the weekend and experienced the same issue. So all-in-all I have an iPad Air, iPhone 6 and one desktop attempting to sync.

Brian

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bstein,

Thanks for clarifying. I'm assuming you have all your latest 1Password data on your Mac? If so, please try these steps:

On your iPhone & iPad:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Sync Service.
    • Tap Disable Sync and confirm you want to disable it.

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Select Sync, then click Change Syncing
    • Check the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then confirm you want to Disable Sync.

Next, reboot your Mac and both iOS devices. Then on your Mac:

• Go back to 1Password > Preferences > Sync, and enable Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button and select your Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox/1Password.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

On your iPhone & iPad:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Start Syncing.
    • Choose Sync with Dropbox.
    • When you see your Dropbox account name, tap on the name (do not tap on the 'i' icon).
    • When asked to choose a vault, choose 1Password/1Password.agilekeychain.
    • Allow Dropbox to complete the sync.

Let us know how that goes, and if you have any questions. Thanks!

• bstein
    bstein
    Community Member

@Drew_AG‌

It worked on the iPhone! I'll give it a whirl on my iPad later today. Cheers.

Brian

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news @bstein, hopefully it all goes well on your iPad, too! Let us know if you need more help with that. :)

• gracesonnet
    gracesonnet
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

I got this same error message on my iPhone (running iOS 8.1.2) but my problem may be reversed. Up until that error message, 1Password on the iPhone was working fine. It's 1Password 5 for Mac that I'm having trouble with. I did a clean install of Yosemite and downloaded and installed 1Password. I'm trying to sync it with Dropbox but I don't think it worked. According to 1Password Mac, I have about 100+ items saved in my 1Password file. On 1Password for iPhone, it's closer to 350. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

9:18 PM: ooh, possible success! I tried disabling syncing on the Mac app again and then enabling it. I think that did the trick? It looks like what's on my phone is showing up on the Mac app too now. Phew! Thank you all the same :-D

• Thanks for the update @gracesonnet‌! Please let us know if you have further difficulties!

This discussion has been closed.