Bookmarklet question

emax
emax
Community Member
I'm not even sure if this is the proper forum for this question, but it seemed to make sense at the time.

I use the Safari Bookmarklet very successfully on my iPhone and iPad. I've had no problems setting it up or keeping it synced using MobileMe.

My question relates to using Safari on my Mac. Since the bookmarklet resides there, when I attempt to navigate to a web site by typing out the start of a URL in Safari's address field, Safari will attempt to autocomplete the URL, often using the Java script from the 1PW bookmarklet.

For example, when I try to navigate to the Bank of America web site, I'll start typing "banko". At this point, Safari will attempt to help by autocompleting with bookmarklet Javascript. Since I don't want that, I need to finish typing the entire URL, i.e. "bankofamerica.com", before the auto complete gives up and lets me hit return to load the page.

Is there any way to indicate to Safari not to use the bookmarklet code for autocomplete suggestions?

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.5, Safari 5.0.2

Any suggestions appreciated.

-max

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Welcome to the forums, Max!

This is really more of a Safari issue — the way it autocompletes URLs. I was actually insanely frustrated by this sort of behavior in Safari 5 initially. However, after using the browser more and more, my autocomplete history became "weighted." That is, the sites I visit more often are listed first in an autocomplete attempt. So the more you go to bankofamerica.com (per your example), the sooner it will "bubble up" to the top.

You might consider trying bofa.com instead. :-) I know it doesn't help for every site, but as far as I know, there is no way to turn it off in Safari. No joke: I absolutely hated it but now cannot live without it. If I type "forum" into the address bar, I can just hit enter since these forums are the first thing to come up when I do so. After use,the sites I actually want to autocomplete are actually autocompleting. It's a small miracle considering how awful the feature was in the beginning.

Please upgrade to Safari 5.0.3 which actually lists "More accurate Top Hit results in the Address Field" as one of the items in its changelog. It might be just the thing you need.

Last, but not least, please consider using the "Look Up in 1Password" bookmarklet (iPhone setup) which is more secure than the 1Password Logins bookmarklet since it actually looks up your data in 1Password on your iOS devices rather than storing it within itself.

I hope that helps! :-)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Yeah. I just double-checked and Safari 5.0.3 should do wonders for you. ;-)

(Scroll down on that page for the screenshots of the new address bar results.)
  • emax
    emax
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Yeah. I just double-checked and Safari 5.0.3 should do wonders for you. ;-)

(Scroll down on that page for the screenshots of the new address bar results.)

Khad - Thanks for the prompt response. I'm updating Safari as soon as I post this. I'll also set up the "Look Up in 1PW" option.

Thanks again!

-max
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Let me know if you have any further questions! :-)

Cheers!
  • jay_gunn
    jay_gunn
    Community Member
    khad wrote:
    Last, but not least, please consider using the "Look Up in 1Password" bookmarklet (iPhone setup) which is more secure than the 1Password Logins bookmarklet since it actually looks up your data in 1Password on your iOS devices rather than storing it within itself.

I'm not seeing this bookmarklet. Are you talking about an actual bookmarklet for mobile Safari, or the click-through URL field in 1Password on iOS that opens a browser to the URL clicked?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Open the link I posted on your iPhone and follow the instructions to install a bookmarklet in Mobile Safari that will open 1Password right to the login of the page you are viewing (in Mobile Safari). The link explains how to use it as well. Give it a try. It's probably easier to experience than explain. :-D

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
This discussion has been closed.