Why 1Password Not Providing Key/Common Features

Keepass and ewallet to name a few provide template creation and form editing to create entries to fit the needs of the customer and not force them to use some programmers pre-conceived ideas of what customers need. Also you can create your own folders and keepass will go out and get the icon for that web site if available and use it. It has some many features and ewallet it leaves you wondering why 1password has ignored providing these main features that should be there from the beginning. AND keepass is free - they don't charge $70 for an application that is missing half the functions it should have

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014

If all the password-related tools were identical, @kshivner‌, there'd be no need for more than one.

Different tools have different strengths...and weaknesses, no doubt. That's one of the reasons we make sure you have thirty days to try the full-featured and unlimited version of 1Password on your PC or Mac before purchasing of licensing the software—to make sure it's right for you.

That said, you can create folders in 1Password. Also, 1Password will download rich icons or let you assign custom icons to your Login items. (Folders don't have icons, in case that's what you were referring to.) If there are other specific things you'd like to see added, please let us know, so we can add them to the list of requested features.

There's always room for improvement, and we're constantly at work on all the versions of 1Password that we provide, but I'd disagree that 1Password is missing anywhere near half the features it "should have," by whatever means you define "should."

Thank you for trying 1Password!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

provide template creation and form editing to create entries to fit the needs of the customer and not force them to use some programmers pre-conceived ideas of what customers need

@kshivner 1Password does support custom fields. These allow for additional information to be stored in any item type.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@svondutch that is true, but it's hardly a templating system. You have to manually recreate the field structure for each item you add.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@svondutch has suggested, in other threads, creating a folder (called Templates, perhaps) of "blank" items of various types, each with all the custom sections and custom fields needed. Then, whenever there's a need for an item of one of those types, you make a duplicate of the appropriate "template" item and fill it in with the specifics for the new instance.

It's a useful workaround that (reasonably, I think) approximates a true "tempting system" and that we hope will suit @kshivner‌'s needs for the time being.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@DBrown, I forgot about that.

Although, I am certainly curious about this new "tempting system" you're talking about.

• Arkady
    Arkady
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

DBrown

can I add some wishes because I've been using such soft for 10 years

1) it would be better to extend provided templates for common items, for example: VISA and Master cards, mobile phones (!!!) and others. Create a system folder for templates and provide operartion to save item "as template" without any content in fields

2) not all websites provide needed icons and ability to attach user icon would be nice.

3) I have question about syncing - is it really sincing or copying and replacing ? Can soft correctly exchanging data if I modify different items on both devices ?

4) as _ list of requested features_ is closed can I ask you to add one more ? I have 1 Windows PC + 4 IOS devices at home and 1 Windows PC in office. At home I exchange data between devices via WIFI, but I have some problems with syncing between home PC and work PC. My previous soft supported "File syncing" when I got ability to choose folder with safe and started syncing. I would like to have the sane.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

not all websites provide needed icons and ability to attach user icon would be nice.

You can do this. Edit the login and then double click on the icon picturebox (just to the right of the word Icon:). It will give you a file browser and you can selected a custom icon.

I have question about syncing - is it really sincing or copying and replacing ? Can soft correctly exchanging data if I modify different items on both devices

The agilekeychain format stores each item in its own file so changing different items on different devices causes no conflict. Changing the same item on different devices at the same time would cause a conflict. I'm not entirely sure of the details of how it resolves this. @sondutch?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

The agilekeychain format stores each item in its own file so changing different items on different devices causes no conflict. Changing the same item on different devices at the same time would cause a conflict.

Correct, but the chances of you and your co-worker writing the same Login item at the same time are extremely slim.

I'm not entirely sure of the details of how it resolves this.

We don't, because Dropbox usually takes excellent care of conflicts.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

We don't, because Dropbox usually takes excellent care of conflicts.

ok, so having just tested this, the answer is that it doesn't. I create a text file, let it sync and then simultaneously edited it on my desktop and my Android. The result was this:

So, basically, one of the two updates will "win" and the other will be lost, as far as 1Password is concerned. Except that's not what happens. I created a new login and then edited the url on my systems. What I've ended up with is that each system has retained the change that it made, however the is no "conflict file" in the 1password.agilekeychain/data/default folder. That is a little worrying as I've ended up with non-synced copies of the vault.

Granted, one system is Android which does not operate in the same way that Windows does. I don't have the ability to test with two Windows instances right now.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I don't know the details, @RichardPayne, but 1Password (at least on the Mac) includes "conflict resolution" logic for handling any detected "conflict files."

@svondutch, do you know whether similar logic is present in 1Password for Windows?

@Arkady:

1. Custom templates are already on the list of requested features list. Implementation of that feature would obviate making it easier to employ the workaround described above.

(I'm not sure Visa and MasterCard data differs sufficiently to warrant separate item types.)

2. Please see Using custom icons in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

3. Because your question was whether you could "modify different items on both devices", I believe the answer is an unequivocal "yes."

4. The list of requested features already includes one possible sync alternative, and we're aware of the general interest in adding others. Thanks for letting us know what would be useful to you!

This discussion has been closed.