Single file data transfer

SergeyK
SergeyK
Community Member

While any cloud providers other than Dropbox aren't supported,
please make "one file" transfer of vallet to ease manual syncing of passwords via USB cable.
Copying the whole folder with bunch of files significantly complicates the process.

Comments

• Hi @SergeyK‌

Thanks for getting in contacting us with your suggestion.

There are several reasons why we chose to store 1Password data in multiple files in the 1Password.agilekeychain folder. While it may not make for an easy USB transition, we feel that there are advantages to storing the data this way which wouldn't extend to a single file.

You are welcome to read more about why we chose the agilekeychain format here if you like: https://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/agile_keychain_design.html

With that said, I'm forwarding your your suggestion to our developers for their consideration. :) I'm also interested to hear about any other cloud providers you'd like to see support for. Thanks!

• Cthulhu_Calamari
    Cthulhu_Calamari
    Community Member

I was actually looking for information on the exact same thing. I don't really mind the fact that the dev team decided to package things the way they did (& don't care to go into the hows & whys), but I was wondering if there was a guide as to what files (if any) I could skip when manually transferring the keychain file to my Android manually. I'm sure some things are necessary, but my phone doesn't have an SD card slot, and therefore if I could economize the space needed for 1Password that would really help.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@SergeyK why do you think that copying a folder is significantly more complex than copying a file?

From what I can see, it has distinct advantages. A single file must be copied in it's entirety. With a folder of files, if some of the files have no changed since the last sync then you don't need to copy them. This is standard mirror copy functionality and significantly reduces the data transfer size.

but I was wondering if there was a guide as to what files (if any) I could skip when manually transferring the keychain file to my Android manually. I'm sure some things are necessary, but my phone doesn't have an SD card slot, and therefore if I could economize the space needed for 1Password that would really help.

You can't skip any of them without risking breaking something. There is no redundancy in the keychain data that I've noticed. The only exception is that I mentioned above where you can avoid copying a file that is unchanged.

• @Cthulhu_Calamari We highly encourage you to copy all of the files within the 1Password data folder as they all play an important role to your encrypted data. If you decide to skip over certain files, you are risking corrupting the data folder and you may even lose access to your information. As RichardPayne explains, you’re more likely to break something by skipping over files during sync. It may not be something visible immediately and for the best protection of your data, I would encourage you to not alter any files within the data folder manually. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• SergeyK
    SergeyK
    Community Member

Guys, please focus on various cloud hosting providers - in that case the internal representation of files (single file or folder) won't matter for end users.

Or make it more transferrable by hand:
    I want to put only ONE file to OneDrive/GoogleDrive/etc. on my PC, go to my Android/iPhone device, open the OneDrive/GoogleDrive/etc. client on the device, find the file, click Download (one file!), navigate to the downloaded file in my phone filesystem, tap on it, see the system prompt: "Do you want to open it with 1Password?", click yes. "Do you want to merge the changed entries?", yes.

I cannot download the entire folder from cloud provider on my cellphone - the smartphone apps for cloud storages aren't functional enough.

I finally ended up using USB cable and Beyond Compare to merge changed files on both sides. This is a total crap.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I want to put only ONE file to OneDrive/GoogleDrive/etc. on my PC, go to my Android/iPhone device, open the OneDrive/GoogleDrive/etc. client on the device, find the file, click Download (one file!), navigate to the downloaded file in my phone filesystem, tap on it, see the system prompt: "Do you want to open it with 1Password?", click yes. "Do you want to merge the changed entries?", yes.

The only way that could be made to work is if each item in the vault had it's own encrypted copy of the master keys. Not only would this made accessing the vault horribly slow as you'd have to derive the keys from the master password every time you read an item but there could be no concept of a "vault" that you can unlock and leave accessible. Every access to an item would need the master password to be input. You'd also bloat the size of the vault.

I finally ended up using USB cable and Beyond Compare to merge changed files on both sides. This is a total crap.

Dropbox is easy! :tongue:

• SergeyK
    SergeyK
    Community Member

Yep, good for you.
    But I'm already using Google Drive and OneDrive, I don't want to keep the third client on all my devices only for 1Password.

There're so many requests on the forum about support of third-party cloud providers, most of them are more than a year old.
    All could providers provide API, SDK and plenty of documentation - enough to make it implemented in a reasonable amount of time.

What't the problem just to implement them?

• Thanks for the suggestion @SergeyK. That is very similar to how it works on the Mac. If you double-click the 1Password data folder, 1Password opens and allows you to view the content of the data folder after unlocking the vault.

We are not planning to move to a single file structure for the data folder any time soon, but we do plan to bring support for our newest data folder structure, .opvault, to Android in the near future. This will minimize the number of files in the data folder significantly. To read more on the new format, please check out this document.

• SergeyK
    SergeyK
    Community Member

Thanks!

• Hi @SergeyK. I'm glad to hear that Saad was able to address your concerns. :)

Let us know if you have any other feedback or requests!

This discussion has been closed.