iMac and iphone 6

Options
pixiegirl
pixiegirl
Community Member

Ok I've had 1Pass for a long time on my Mac. It's now on my new Mac running Yosemite. I have version 5.0.2

I'd like 1 Password on my iphone and have a few questions, I've tried to find the answer but just can't.

Do I have to buy the iphone version to have it on my iPhone?

If I do that is there some easy way of getting all my saved passwords from my iMac to the iphone?

I stress easy, super easy.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Do I have to buy the iphone version to have it on my iPhone?

Yes, 1P for OS X and 1P for iOS are separate products. The good news is that 1P for iOS is free, with an in-app purchase to enable pro features. Read about it here.

If I do that is there some easy way of getting all my saved passwords from my iMac to the iphone?

There is more than one way, but which way you use will depend on what you have on your Mac. If you bought 1P for Mac from the Mac App Store you can choose between iCloud, Dropbox and local wifi to sync your 1P data between your Mac and your phone. If you bought 1P for Mac from the AgileBits store you won't have the option to use iCloud but can still use Dropbox or local wifi to sync. Personally, I use wifi to sync and it works very well.

Please post again if you have more questions.

Stephen

• itlobbyist
    itlobbyist
    Community Member
    Options

I am comparing password managers and am still confused about your answer Stephen. I have a MacAir, an iPad mini Air and an iPhone 6. My wife has a MacAir and an iPhone 6, and in our home we have an additional MacAir and, finally, an iMac desktop. We would be, obviously, sharing all of the necessary passwords for shared programs (e.g., financial), are family sharing in iCloud on our devices, and would want to be able to keep being able to get into one another's devices/personal websites/apps (e.g., airlines, different devices, etc). Can all this sharing be done with your product?

We don't use Dropbox, and if we wifi to sync, as you just recommended, what happens if there is no wifi connection (only cellular) and we need to get a pw?

And am I right to assume that we're going to have to spend $65 to do all of this? And what are "pro features"?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@itlobbyist‌ I will try to answer your questions but please note 1P is not "my product": I'm merely a volunteer trying to help on the forums. :)

I have assumed for this purpose that you and your wife, although sharing passwords, will want separate copies of 1P. I'm also assuming you're both running devices with the latest OS on them (OS X 10.10 and iOS 8).

1. You say that you want to use wifi to sync 1P data between your devices. However, if you ever might want to use iCloud it's important to note that you must buy 1P for Mac from the Mac App Store because that version supports iCloud sync of 1P data. The AgileBits store versions does not, following changes made by Apple. Both versions support local wifi sync and Dropbox sync.
    2. If you buy 1P for Mac direct from the AgileBits store the licence allows you to use 1P for Mac by up to six family members living in the same household. If you buy from the Mac App Store you may use 1P for Mac on any machine that uses the same Apple ID as used to purchase 1P for Mac from the Mac App Store. Alternatively, you may have enabled family sharing under OS X 10.10 and, if so, can both use one copy under that arrangement.
    3. If you want 1P data on your iOS devices you will need to download 1P for iOS on to those devices from the iTunes Store. It is a free app but with an in-app purchase to enable pro features. You can read about the pro features here. Unfortunately Apple has not allowed family sharing to apply to in-app purchases so both you and your wife would have to pay to enable the pro features if you use separate Apple IDs.

Actual sharing of 1P data between you and your wife may be a little more complex depending exactly on what you want to do. Although you say:

We would be, obviously, sharing all of the necessary passwords for shared programs

I assume from that there would probably be passwords each of you have that you would not be sharing. Have a look at this knowledge base article about multiple vaults because it may well help. Note that the present versions of 1P5 for iOS and 1P5 for Mac sync only the primary vault and not secondary vaults, but that will change with new updates to both apps.

Finally, it's currently a little tricky to enable Mac to Mac sync (as opposed to Mac to iOS sync) of 1P data—so just bear in mind a little thought will be needed with the initial setup.

I don't want to overload you with information at this stage and others more expert than I may chime in anyway. In any event please post again if you have more questions.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @itlobbyist‌

I hope that Stephen_C's answer has clarified things for you, as usual, he's pretty much spot-on!

I just wanted to address one further point here:

what happens if there is no wifi connection (only cellular) and we need to get a pw?

Your Mac and iOS devices will need to be on the same Wi-Fi network in order to sync, but once they are synced up, that data remains on your device. So you will have access to your passwords on your phone wherever you go. The only time you might not have immediate access to a password is if your wife at home made a change to a shared password while you were away. If you tried to log in to that same site before your devices had a chance to sync up at home, you would have the old password and not the changed version.

Please do let us know if you have any further questions or concerns!

• itlobbyist
    itlobbyist
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both for your excellent comments. In the end I did purchase 1PW from AgileBits and have begun the "wonderful" process of entering all of our data.

But I'm totally lost, perplexed & confused on the syncing and using process going forward. If any of these questions can be found on the AgileBits website - please point me there. I don't want to make you duplicate what you've done before.

1. I downloaded the iOS version on my iPhone and did a sync thru wifi but 1PW doesn't come up when I begin typing a user name or PW. Do I have to go through 1PW in order to now use my bank's app or Amazon or whatever?

2. I downloaded 1PW on my 2 MacAir laptops but all I get is a request to say whether I have an old version or want to start a new account. Nothing about syncing with a current account. Stephen, you said it was tricky, but where do I start or look?

3. If I decide in the future to sync using Dropbox rather than wifi will I have to re-enter everything on any of my devices - iMac, 3 laptops, 2 iPhones? And how does one "switch" to Dropbox?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thank you both for volunteering to do this for the community!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @itlobbyist‌

1. If you first question relates to how do you use 1Password for iOS then as long as you're running iOS 8 and 1Password 5 for iOS you're probably wanting to know about our iOS Safari extension. This is the first version of our extension as extensions are new to iOS 8. So we hope it will become more mature but it also does have to work within the strict limitations of extensions on iOS 8. You can also open up a Login item from within 1Password but that will open it up in our internal 1Browser. Personally, if you have access to the Safari Extension that's the route I would suggest.
    2. If you were to sync via Dropbox, setting up additional machines is a lot easier. Upon loading for the first time, if 1Password finds sync data in the standard places e.g. your Dropbox folder, it will use it. If you want to sync via Wi-Fi then you would need to create a new vault, ideally with the same Master Password and then populate this new empty vault by setting up Wi-Fi Sync with the new machine. There is a caveat with this though, 1Password for iOS can only handle syncing with one machine at a time when you use Wi-Fi Sync so it is for this reason that I don't recommend Wi-Fi Sync if you have multiple Macs you want to keep in sync - Dropbox or iCloud are much better alternatives.
    3. Actually swapping sync methods is pretty easy, or can be. Ideally you have at least one device that has a full vault and it doesn't matter which it is. You simply disable the current syncing and then set up the next. To help a bit here is our page on Sync with Dropbox (Mac) and Sync with Dropbox (iOS).

If you have any further questions do please ask. Just to let you know that the very wonderful Stephen_C is a volunteer and selflessly gives up his time to help people here and while no less wonderful, Megan is actually part of the wonderful company that is AgileBits :smile:

This discussion has been closed.