Password confusion and trouble syncing

Spinoza1939
Spinoza1939
Community Member

When I first got 1Password yesterday, I set up a main password which I then decided was too weak. So I changed it. Then today, with a new iPad, I found I could not access 1Password with the second password, but only with the first, though the second one works on the iMac where I made the change. Now I cannot get into my gmail account from the iPad. I would start over, but having already set up quite a few passwords with various sites, I'm afraid I'll never get into them. What should I do? (I wish there were a help line or chat!)

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

For the new password to sync over to the iPad, 1Password must be open. Have you tried the new password after you signed in with the old one? Or you could go into Preferences > Sync and tap sync now. Did that help?

If it didn't, go ahead and change the password on the iPad to match the one on the Mac.

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

Yes, to the first question.
    How do you get to Preferences in iOs?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

How do you get to Preferences in iOs?

Tap on the cog, or gear, icon (then go to Sync).

Stephen

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

Thanks, Stephen. But that still doesn't help. The iPad accepts the old password, but not the new one. And I still can't get into my gmail account on the iPad.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

The simplest work around is manually to change the master password on your iPad to match that on your Mac. There are currently one or two hiccups with master password sync which are expected to be ironed out with the next releases of 1P5 for Mac and 1P5 for iOS. Note I'm assuming you're using 1P5 on both Mac and iPad.

If you do have any further questions please confirm how you sync your 1P data (what sync method you use) and the version numbers of 1P you are using on your Mac and on your iPad.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@Spinoza1939‌ We will be removing a couple of sync bugs in the next release but obviously that doesn't help you right now. Until the next release Stephen_C's suggestion should do the trick and is probably less drastic than the other option of disabling sync, deleting the sync data and re-enabling it.

Can I ask what you meant by?

Now I cannot get into my gmail account from the iPad

I wasn't sure I quite understood.

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

On the Mac, I'm using 5.0.2. I don't know where to find the version number of 1P on the iPad, but I just got it from the App store on Sunday. I switched both devices to WiFi as the sync method. I am still unable to make gmail recognize anything as a password on the iPad. I generated a new password for gmail with the 1P and then synced again. Still no luck.

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

Oh, and I did change the password on the iPad.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@Spinoza1939‌

So in regards to gmail, are you saying you have a working Login item on your Mac which you can use in say Safari or Firefox but that it isn't filling in the password when you use either the 1Browser that is in 1Password for iOS or the 1Password Extension for Safari on iOS 8?

or are you saying that the password itself in the gmail Login item isn't syncing?

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

I tried to sync on iCloud. I changed the master password on my iPhone and iPad to the one that's on the iMac. I changed the sync method on all devices to iCloud. Then when I ran sync on the iMac, I got the message that 1P had detected another vault with the old password hint in it, and asked me to merge with that. Since the vault with the old password should no longer exist, merging seems like a bad idea. Any ideas? I do appreciate the efforts you've made! Thanks.

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

Littlebobbytables: I'm using Google Chrome on the iMac and have the 1P for that, but I'm using Safari on the iPad. On the iMac and on the iPad, 1P is filling in passwords for other sites, but not for gmail. On the iMac, if I sign out of gmail and then log back in, I have to copy its password from 1P and paste it in. On the iPad, nothing I paste in to the gmail settings works. I notice that on the iPad I do not have any email listed under categories, but I do on the Mac. Hope some of this info helps.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Spinoza1939‌.

What I'd recommend doing is disable sync on all of your devices and then on one of your Macs use the following menu option in 1Password, Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data. This will wipe the old sync data out and when you re-enable iCloud Sync it will create new sync data. That should use the new Master Password. I believe this is one of the bugs that will be sorted in the next release.

Lets get that sorted first and then return to the issue of your gmail Login.

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

O.k., I did that. However, the hint I was given was for the first/old password. So that's what I used, and will use until we get everything else fixed. So now what about gmail?

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

Well, no, the passwords are still not synced: the new password is working on the iMac, but the old one on the two iOS devices.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Spinoza1939‌

I'm so sorry to hear that you're still having trouble here. It sounds like there's a couple of different things going on here, so let's try to solve this one at a time. First, we'll work on getting you all synced up.

Now, there are a few very basic things that we need to check before we get into the more detailed troubleshooting:

• Please ensure that you are logged in with the same iCloud account on all computers and devices. (If you're like me and have somehow collected several, this could be where things are getting tangled!)
    • Please ensure that 'Documents and Data' is enabled for iCloud on all devices.

If those items check out, let's run a test and see where things are getting tripped up:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?

Please let me know the results of this little experiment - once we have a better idea of where things are going sideways, we should be able to get this straightened out simply for you :)

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

Thanks, Megan, I appreciate your help.

• I don't know how to check whether I have the same iCloud account on everything, but everything used to sync fine before 1P, so I'm pretty sure there's only one iCloud account.
    • Documents and data are enabled everywhere.
    • About the test entries: I don't know how to do this. I assume you mean within 1P? You'll have to give me more guidance here.
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Spinoza1939‌,

Sorry for the confusion about all that! I'll be happy to give you some more specific steps for Megan's suggestions.

First, please check to make sure that you're using the same iCloud account on your Mac and both iOS devices. If you're using Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite) and iOS 8, you can do that by following these steps:

• On each iOS device, open the Settings app and go to iCloud.
    • On your Mac, open the System Preferences app and go to iCloud.

In those locations, your Apple ID needs to be the same. If it's not the same one on all three, that explains the sync problem.

If your Apple ID is the same on your Mac and both iOS devices, the next thing to try is to create a test item on each one:

On your Mac:

• Open the main 1Password app (unlock with your master password if prompted).
    • Go to the menu for File > New Item.
    • Choose one of the item types (for example, a Login or Secure Note).
    • Change the title of the item to something like Test, Mac, add some other info to the item if you'd like, and click Save.

On each iOS device:

• Open the 1Password app and go to the Categories section.
    • Tap the + button at the top to add a new item.
    • To keep things simple, choose the same type of item you created on your Mac.
    • Change the title of the item to something like Test, iPhone or Test, iPad, add some other info to the item if you'd like, and tap Done.
    • [Remember to create a test item on each of your iOS devices, but name them differently so you can easily tell which device they were created on.]

Allow iCloud to sync, then check 1Password on all three. Did any of the test items sync to the others? If you have more questions about the steps, just let us know.

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

Thanks, Drew. Everything worked! All three items went to all three devices. And all three work with the same password, finally.
    Now the remaining question is how I get the iPad to recognize my gmail password. I may just not understand the basics of setting up email in iOS. I have no email under Categories on either iOS device, though I do on the iMac.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Spinoza1939‌

I'm so glad to hear we're making progress here! Let's get this gmail issue sorted out.

I'll give you the instructions here right from the start - if you already have your Google account details saved in 1Password, you can skip the first part of the steps.

Create a Google entry using 1Password for Mac

Sign in to Google on your iOS device

• Open 1Password for iOS
    • Tap Categories
    • Tap Logins
    • Scroll through the list to find your Google account details (or use the 'Search' field at the top)
    • Swipe right across your Google login, this will show you a 'Copy Password' button
    • Tap this
    • Go to the Gmail app
    • Type in your gmail address
    • Tap the password field and paste your password in.

I hope this helps, but if you're having any difficulties please let us know where in the steps above things stopped making sense, and we'll start from there.

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

First, I have 4 google accounts listed in my logins in 1P. I think it kept saving failed attempts to create a gmail password. I need to know how to delete all but one.
    Second, the one on the top works on the iMac (by copying and pasting), but not in iOs. So that's the main thing that needs fixing.
    Thanks for your help!

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

If it wasn't clear, I was able to follow all the steps, but the password I pasted in did not work in iOS.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Spinoza1939‌,

To delete an item, open 1Password on your Mac and right-click on an item you want to delete, then choose Move to Trash.

Or if you'd rather delete them using the iOS app, open 1Password for iOS, go to the Categories section and view the item you want to delete. Tap the Edit button at the top, then scroll to the bottom and tap the Delete option.

As for your Gmail password, I'd like to make sure I understand what you mean - are you saying you can copy/paste your Gmail password into the Gmail website on your Mac and it works, but when you copy/paste that same Gmail password on iOS, you can't log into your Gmail account? If so, the first thing to check is that the exact same password is in your Gmail login item on both Mac and iOS, in case there's a sync problem and they don't match:

• On your Mac, open 1Password and find your Gmail login item. If the password is concealed, press & hold the Option key on the keyboard to see it.
    • On iOS, open 1Password and find your Gmail login item in Categories. When viewing the details for that login, tap the password and choose "Reveal" to see it.

Is it the same password in both places?

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

The situation now is that, yes, I have the same password in both places, but it doesn't work. I can't use it to login to gmail. (Fortunately I have it open in another window on the iMac.) I tried following the directions in Help for saving a login manually, but I don't have the key icon in my Chrome toolbar, though I have installed the extension.
    Sorry for taking up all this time, and thanks for your patience.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Our icon hasn't been a key for a while and instead is now more of a lock, like the application icon that is possibly in your dock. Do you have an icon that looks like this?

If the extension is installed and working in Chrome then I would also expect the shortcuts to work. For example, the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ should open 1Password mini. Do either of these allow you to follow the steps?

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

Yes, I followed the steps and have confirmed that the password is the same in both places. However that password does not work. I do have the chrome extension.
    I tried to follow the steps on help to save a new login manually, but the only way to get to the gmail window is to try to open and fill from 1P and when told I've entered the wrong password, to try to save the new one as per the help page. But I don't get to the place in step 4 where I can hit save.

• Hi @Spinoza1939,

I tried to follow the steps on help to save a new login manually, but the only way to get to the gmail window is to try to open and fill from 1P and when told I've entered the wrong password

Please try this: first, you must visit the site’s login page manually.

In this case, go to the Gmail.com site in your browser, and click on Sign In on the top right, which takes you to this page:

Enter the right username/password but do not press the blue Sign in button yet. Instead, click on the 1Password icon in the browser’s toolbar to open 1Password mini, unlock if it is not already, and click on the gear icon on top right to select Save New Login.

Now, press the sign in button to make sure you can sign in.

If yes, sign out of Gmail again and visit the login page, ask 1Password to sign you in again with the new Login item you just saved.

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

Mike, my problem is that I don't have the right password. I'm still signed into gmail on the Mac, in a separate tab, but in in all the confusion of trying to get 1P set up, I've lost track of what the current password is.
    Perhaps what I should do is this: sign out of the account that is now open, then try to reopen, click on "forgot password" and then change it in gmail to something I can remember. And then follow your directions above. Of course any directions they would send me by email would come through gmail. But I'm still signed into gmail on my iPhone. So please tell me if this will work. Thanks for your help.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Hi @Spinoza1939‌

I'm confused. In post #21 you said that you had 4 Login items and that the information stored in the second from the top was correct but it wouldn't fill in using the extension. Now you seem to be saying you don't have the password stored anywhere, can I ask what happened?

Obviously you won't be able to change the password as you need the current one to change it. If you were to go through the forgotten password steps though it won't send the instructions and reset code or URL to your gmail address. Instead it will use the recovery email address you supplied when you created the gmail account. Do you remember what address you used for that?

• Spinoza1939
    Spinoza1939
    Community Member

I don't blame you for being confused, and I'm afraid I can't say what happened. I did various things trying to fix the problem and I didn't keep track of them.
    I do know the address I used for the recovery email, but that account has gone directly into my gmail account for so long that I can't remember how to access it directly. And for some reason, messages I have sent to it myself have not been coming into my gmail inbox. I will get in touch with the system administrator for this other account, but it will probably be Monday before I will hear.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@Spinoza1939‌ You have our sympathies, that's not great place to be in at the moment. Fingers crossed you can retrieve access to your gmail account.

Have you tried all the passwords you might have created in the last few days?

1. It might be worth checking the Passwords section in 1Password, if you've used the Password Generator you might find entries in here.
    2. It might also be worth checking the Trash if you've deleted any.
    3. Lastly, it might be worth seeing if any of the Login items have a show previously used passwords button.
This discussion has been closed.