What's the Point of the Cancel Option on Touch ID Prompt?

Options
Penelope Pitstop
Penelope Pitstop
Community Member

When the iOS device prompts for Touch ID there are two menu items: "Enter Password" and "Cancel". What is the difference between them?

Sometimes 1Password auto-locks and then my phone auto-locks. When I unlock the phone with Touch ID, 1Password is in the foreground and prompts me for Touch ID again to unlock the app. Unless I do unlock 1Password then it is regarded as Touch ID failure and I will be required to enter my master password the next time. After unlocking the phone I might not want to use 1Password right away. Is there a way to switch to another app without having to unlock it?

Comments

• MikeT
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi @Penelope Pitstop‌,

What is the difference between them?

There isn't any difference. Touch ID prompt isn't customizable, we can't choose not to show either option. These prompts are coming from iOS itself for security reason and mostly likely for consistency across all iOS apps.

Unfortunately, because it is not flexible to us, we can't make it more flexible either. The problem with canceling is that what if you need to intentionally kill the Touch ID prompt in order to further secure the app? We don't want to risk this by bringing up Touch ID again.

Right now, to avoid entering the MP, you have to unlock the app and then leave to the other app. If you have Lock on exit enabled, the app would be automatically locked.

When I unlock the phone with Touch ID, 1Password is in the foreground and prompts me for Touch ID again to unlock the app.

There isn't any way to back out without being able to use Touch ID again, it is very aggressive about this for security reasons. I'd suspect Apple might loosen this up in the future as they learn more about how people use Touch ID.

iOS has to push Touch ID to the front if an app asks for it, and in this case, when you wake up the device, 1Password was locked, so we have to ask for Touch ID right away in order to unlock your data.

I do understand the frustration of entering the MP again, when you just wanted to open a different app and not 1Password. At the moment, this is the best combination we can use to protect the customers. As Apple continues the evolution of iOS and Touch ID, we'll revisit and improve the convenience as long as there aren't any security tradeoffs.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Options

Touch ID prompts isn't customizable, we can't choose not to show either option.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining Mike.

• You're welcome!

• Hi @Aleks B‌,

I merged you thread into Penelope's thread as he has the same feedback. You can skim through the thread but the short summary is that Touch ID prompts cannot be customized. We're not the one who is creating the prompt, Apple is and it is the standard look for all apps.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Options

I see the functionality of the Cancel button was changed in 502014. Excellent! :)

• Hi @Penelope Pitstop,

Yep, glad you like the change. Hopefully, this is approved by Apple as well. They dislike force-quitting because it gives the wrong impression of a crash. Hopefully, with the context, it might be acceptable.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

I have to say I for one love the change. Well done guys.

• Thanks!

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member
    Options

The only issue I see with this change is that 1Password does not appear to quit gracefully. It's a rather jarring exit to the home screen. The functionality change is good, but it's too bad there's no official mechanism for quitting to the home screen from within an app.

• MikeT
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi @fatherfork,

Like you said, there's no API to do much with this. Apple doesn't like the whole idea in the first place, apps should never have to quit on iOS or even OS X. Which is why Apple worked hard on the state restoration, auto-save, auto-versions, and so on.

Hopefully, Apple will figure out how to improve Touch ID for this type of scenario and simply just fade the apps back into the home screen.

This discussion has been closed.