lost 1password password for 3rd computer- not master- how to I find it or change it?

Options
robpele
robpele
Community Member

My daughter set but now can't remember the 1 password password for her computer. This is not the master password, which I have. How do I find or reset this sub-password?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robpele‌,

I'm sorry I'm not quite sure I understand which password you need changed here. Is this the password of a secondary vault?

• robpele
    robpele
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,
    I only have one vault. shared over 4 macs via dropbox. Each mac has a seperate password. We lost the password for computer #3. This is not the master password, but it unlocks our single shared vault on computer #3. I looked to see if I had saved this password in another 1password file, but I don't think I did. I have access to the vault via the other 3 computers. What is my best option? Can I get this "secondary" password if I have the master password? should I delete 1 password from that computer and reinstall and resync it with the vault? or what?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robpele,

A vault has a single Master Password. No matter which computer you use to open that vault, it should use the same Master Password.

If you're using multiple passwords to access a single vault, we're going to need to do some resetting here to ensure that the same Master Password is being used on all computers. In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
  • robpele
    robpele
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Megan:

here is the info

1. 2008 Imac, OS 10.8.5. 1password version 4.4.3, master password (1), synced via dropbox
    2. 2008 Imac, OS 10.8.5 1 password version 4.4.3, seperate password (2), synced via dropbox
    3. 2014 macbook air, OS 10.9.5, 1 password version 4.4.3, seperate password (3) (lost), synced via dropbox
    4. 2012 macbook air, OS 10.8.5, 1password version 4.4.3, seperate password (4), synced via dropbox
    5. LG Optimus F3 smartphone, OS android 4.1.2, 1password version android 4.1.5, master password (1)
      I also can access 1password (anywhere?) on the web using password

In logging in to these devices I notice that each login says "enter your master password", so maybe there are 4 different vaults. How will I know? Since I sync them (except perhaps the android version?) via dropbox they should be identical, shouldn't they?

So I now have two questions: 1. How to I reset password #3? and 2: Can I have each device have a seperate vault, but where a group of logins/passwords are synced among them, but each also has a seperate group that is not synced?

thanks,

Robert

• Hi @robpele,

On 1Password for Mac there's a menu... 1Password > Switch to Vault which will open up a menu giving you a listing of all vaults. If they all only show a single vault then it matches what you've been saying.

You should, in theory, be able to unlock Mac #3 using the Password #1 assuming this password can be used to unlock the vault in 1PasswordAnywhere, and that Mac #3 is syncing its one and only vault with this agilekeychain in dropbox. Try this and see if it works. If it does, then Mac #3 will have changed its local Master Password to match that of the agilekeychain.

If that doesn't work, then I'd check to see if Mac #3 has any vaults other than the primary vault. If it doesn't, and you're confident that the only data that this Mac had in its primary vault was synced to the agilekeychain on dropbox, then I'd recommend using our Starting Over instructions on this Mac. You could then setup this Mac again to sync with the dropbox agilekeychain.

To answer your other question of whether you could have separate synced vs non-synced groups of logins/passwords...the answer is yes. Each device could have a primary vault that contains their private data that they don't want shared. Then a secondary vault that's synced to dropbox with one another. It's a rather common scenario for families that want to share some logins but not everything.

I hope this helps.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.