Clean up with different versions of 1P/Pro on OSX and iOS

Options
Bernardo
Bernardo
Community Member

On my iMac 6.1 I run version OSX 10.6.8. and 1Password 3.8.18.
On my iPad 3 it is 1Password Pro 3.7.2 and I am very happy with it (Nov 2 2012) and on my iPhone 5 it is 1Password Pro 5.1.2. which is recently updated.

Can I get an advice which version on my iMac/iPad/iPhone is the best fitting together. Update or new Buy?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bernardo‌

Well you're running the most up to date version of 1Password on your iMac that Snow Leopard allows. Your Mac could be upgraded to Lion but 1Password 3 is still the newest version possible with that so 1Password 3 for Mac is what you will be using there. To run a newer version of 1Password would require at least OS X 10.8 AKA Mountain Lion and that means new hardware - probably hard to justify just to run 1Password 4 or better :wink:

In regards to your iPad 3. I'm assuming that's an iPad (3rd generation). Now it can run iOS 8 which you may or may not be doing. If you are running iOS 8 you can also run 1Password 5 for iOS there.

As it stands though you can get all three to sync without changing anything if you don't want to. However if I'm correct you could run 1Password 5 for iOS on both iOS devices.

If you intend to sync your iMac with 1Password 3 for iOS your only option is to use Wi-Fi Sync.

If you intend to sync your iMac with 1Password 5 for iOS your only option would be to setup Dropbox Sync on your iMac and use Dropbox with 1Password 5 for iOS.

Unfortunately you can't use Dropbox Sync in 1Password 3 for iOS because of the Dropbox API change. This leaves Wi-Fi Sync as your only option and 1Password 3 for iOS can only Wi-Fi Sync with 1Password 3 for Mac (Wi-Fi Sync changed in 1Password 4).

Unfortunately you can't use Wi-Fi Sync in 1Password 5 for iOS because of the changes made in 1Password 4 (both iOS and Mac). This leaves Dropbox Sync as while Dropbox doesn't work in 1Password 3 for iOS it will in 1Password 3 for Mac (because the work is done by the Dropbox service on your Mac).

If you need help setting all of this up please do let us know.

• Bernardo
    Bernardo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your detailed information. I will make use of it step by step, not to mix something in a hurry. Many regards, Bernardo

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Feel free to ask questions @Bernardo‌ :smile:

This discussion has been closed.