master password not syncing [will be fixed with future updates]

WilDieteren
WilDieteren
Community Member
edited January 2015 in iOS

L.S.,

I have recently changed the 1Password MAS master password, and had assumed this would sync with the 1Password iOS app, it has not. I am fairly certain that it has worked before, and I am wondering why it is not working now. I could of course manually change the 1Password iOS master password, but that would defeat the purpose of syncing 1Password.

I am using 1Password Version 4.4.1 (441006) Mac App Store on my iMac, and 1Password for iOS Version 4.5.3 on an iPhone 5S. Anybody else having this problem?

Wil Dieteren

Comments

• clovertalk
    clovertalk
    Community Member

Hello Wil,

I am just a user, but it is my understanding that a change to the master password does not actually sync to the iOS app at this time. I am unsure of where I read this, and hopefully a support person will chime in and provides us with verification. I can confirm that if I change the master password on the Mac app it does not sync to the iOS app.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WilDieteren‌ and @clovertalk,

When we initially launched 1Password 4 for Mac, initially changes to the Master Password were not synced between devices, but this issue has since been solved and it should sync properly now.

Could you tell me a bit more about the steps that you took after changing your Master Password on your Mac, and how you are syncing your data? I've just tested here using Dropbox sync, and I was able to use my new Master Password to unlock 1Password 4 for iOS.

• WilDieteren
    WilDieteren
    Community Member

Megan,

As far as I can tell I have not done anything special, only changed the master password on my Mac, no other changes (as far as I remember). I am syncing through Dropbox. Something else a bit off: 1Password Mac shows 202 All Items, 1Password iOS shows 203 All Items

Wil

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Hi Wil ( @WilDieteren‌ ),

If you're seeing discrepancies in item counts, it makes me think that there might be something up with sync here. We'll need to take a closer look at your system here to determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/diagnostics-report

—iOS—

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/send-us-your-diagnostic-report

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• WilDieteren
    WilDieteren
    Community Member

Megan,

I have e-mailed both diagnostic reports, putting WilDieteren, discussion 26667, in the subject line. Hope this helps.

Wil

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WilDieteren,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some details. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

internal reference number: TZB-48674-783

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

When I have sync problems and see a discrepancy in item counts, the problem usually turns out to be that one of my devices (usually my iPhone) has changed the Dropbox account to which it is syncing. The result: two keychains in two different Dropbox accounts whose contents diverge as time goes on.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @benfdc,

Thanks for the feedback here - if you have multiple Dropbox accounts enabled, it is extra important to be careful when re-syncing data. :)

• WilDieteren
    WilDieteren
    Community Member

Megan,

Have recently changed the master password on my iMac, and once again it is not syncing to my iPhone. Any progress on your end figuring this out?

Wil

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WilDieteren,

I'm sorry you're still having trouble with this. Aside from the change to the master password, is the sync working in general? For example, if you add a new item to 1Password on your iPhone, does it sync to your Mac?

If other changes are syncing, but the new master password doesn't work on your iPhone, please try these steps:

• Unlock 1Password on your iPhone with the old master password
    • Allow it to fully sync
    • Once the sync is complete, go to Settings > Security > Lock Now
    • Try to unlock 1Password with the new master password

Does it accept the new master password now?

• WilDieteren
    WilDieteren
    Community Member

Drew_AG,

I did as suggested, did not solve the issue. An item added on my Mac syncs to my iPhone\iPad, and an item added on my iPad syncs to my Mac\iPhone. The iPad has the same problem as the iPhone: the master password does not sync. Any other suggestions? Issue is annoying, but only that.

Wil

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WilDieteren,

Our developers have been looking into a few hiccups that seem to prevent a master password change from syncing, especially with iCloud sync - although we occasionally hear reports of a similar problem with Dropbox sync (which you previously mentioned you're using). I'm sorry for the inconvenience! For now, if the sync is working correctly otherwise, the simple workaround is to change your master password on your iOS devices to the same new one you use on your Mac.

As we're looking into reports of this issue, I'd like to confirm a few details, as it's been many months since you first reported this issue last July. Can you please let us know the following:

• The version of Mac OS on your Mac
    • The version of iOS on your iPad and iPhone
    • Which sync method you're using
    • The version of 1Password on your Mac, iPad, and iPhone
    • If you're using the Mac App Store version or web store version of 1Password on your Mac

Thanks!

• WilDieteren
    WilDieteren
    Community Member

Drew_AG,

Mac OS version 10.10.1, iOS version 8.1.2, syncing through Dropbox, Mac App Store version 5.0.2, App Store version 5.1.2. Will manually update the master password on the iPhone and iPad.

Wil

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WilDieteren‌ I think you will appreciate the next release of 1Password which we hope will sort out a lot of these issues.

• AtlasRyan
    AtlasRyan
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

I am also having the same issue after changing my master password on my mac. All data is however syncing between devices as normal. I'd I have sent diagnostic reports for iOS, but have been unable to send a mac report as I receive the following error when attempting to download the tool: Safari can’t open the page “https://cdn.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac/util/1Password4Troubleshooting.zip” because Safari can’t connect to the server “cdn.agilebits.com”. I am using iCloud to sync data

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

Hi @AtlasRyan,

Sorry you're having trouble with changing 1Password's Master Password (MP) on your Mac.

Are you currently able to unlock 1Password using any MP and have you tried changing it by opening Preferences > Security and clicking the Change Master Password button?

We did receive the iOS Diagnostics Report sent from your iPhone; thanks for sending that in. If you'd also still like to send us one from your Mac, please try the downloading the troubleshooting utility from this page:

Sending a Diagnostics Report

I've updated the older links in @Megan's earlier post #5; sorry for the inconvenience!

ref: WRE-11462-446

• AtlasRyan
    AtlasRyan
    Community Member

Hi @sjk‌
    Just sent a Mac diagnostics report. To clarify, I successfully changed my Master password on my Mac, but only the old password is recognised on iOS devices. My data is however correctly synced across devices.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AtlasRyan,

The report from your Mac has arrived; thanks! Sorry that I misunderstood the issue is with the Master Password on your iOS devices, not your Mac.

With all your 1Password data syncing correctly, please try @Drew_AG's suggested workaround from post #13:

For now, if the sync is working correctly otherwise, the simple workaround is to change your master password on your iOS devices to the same new one you use on your Mac.

Then you'll be able to use the same Master Password everywhere. Like @littlebobbytables‌ was saying, syncing of Master Password changes is intended to be fixed:

I think you will appreciate the next release of 1Password which we hope will sort out a lot of these issues.

Please let us know if you're still having any trouble and we'll be happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.