1Password not syncing anymore between Mac and iPhone/iPad

desertman
desertman
Community Member

I don't now since when this does not work anymore, but I just noticed that 1Password does not sync anymore between my Mac (OS X 10.9.5, 1Password 4.4.3) and my iPhone and iPad (iOS 8.1, iPassword 5.1.1). It is setup everywhere to sync via iCloud, did so in the past, does not do now.

What is going on here?

Comments

• Hi @desertman,

We apologize for the issue here. The short answer is that you have to switch to using Wi-Fi or Dropbox until you upgrade to 1Password 5 for Mac App Store on Yosemite.

The issue is with the different iCloud technology between iOS 7 vs. iOS 8 and Mavericks vs. Yosemite. The iCloud sync in 1Password 5 for iOS only works with 1Password 5 for Mac App Store on Yosemite. To explain why, we've written the blog post here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2014/10/21/about-icloud-changes-in-1password-5/

If you cannot upgrade to Yosemite any time soon, it'd be best to switch the sync to Wi-Fi on the Mac and iOS or Dropbox until you've upgraded to 1Password 5 on Yosemite.

Also, if you don't have 1Password at the Mac App Store and didn't purchase 1Password in the last 30 days, there isn't a way to switch and you'd need to stick with Wi-Fi and/or Dropbox as iCloud sync won't be supported on Yosemite for non-Mac App Store versions of 1Password: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30446/icloud-changes-in-the-website-version-of-1password-5#latest

I know this is a lot to take in, let me know if you have any questions about anything here.

Again, we apologize about this.

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

Thanks, MikeT. Let me see whether I understand this (and what is said in the linked posts) correctly:

1) Whoever had 1Password 4 for iOS on their iPhone or iPad got automatically and unasked updated to 1Password 5 for iOS.

2) Whoever has 1Password 5 for iOS installed needs now to have OS X 10.10 Yosemite and 1Password 5 for OS X installed on their Mac if they want to use iCloud syncing.

3) Moreover, whoever bought Password 4 or 5 for OS X directly from Agilebits (to give them more money) has now to buy it again from the Apple Store if they want to use iCloud syncing.

4) Agilebits admits that it was and is wrong to sell 1Password for OS X through their own store to people who wanted to use iCloud syncing but continues to promote 1Password for OS X for sale through their own store i. e. on MacUpdate.com without making clear that this version of 1Password for OS X cannot be used for iCloud syncing.

5) Agilebits does not reimburse people who bought 1Password for OS X more than 30 days ago through their own store when they now buy it again through the Apple Store. In other words: Agilebits cashes in twice from customers that previously did them the favor to buy directly from them.

Wow! That's really something.

Greetings - desertman

PS: I bought 1Password 4 for OS X directly from Agilebits more than 30 days ago and I got NOT told that this is not a good idea when I planned to continue with iCloud syncing. Simply apologizing for this f****p is pretty lame.

• MikeT
    edited November 2014

Hi @desertman,

1) Whoever had 1Password 4 for iOS on their iPhone or iPad got automatically and unasked updated to 1Password 5 for iOS.

Your apps are not automatically updated without your permissions. When you turn on the automatic app updates on iOS, it will do that for you but if it was turned off, you have to manually update your own apps via the App Store. iCloud sync is supported in 1Password 5 for iOS and you can sync between iOS devices via iCloud no problem.

However if you stay with 1Password 4 for iOS on top of iOS 8, iCloud sync wouldn't work if you upgraded to Yosemite or to iCloud Drive. It's a systematic change for both iOS 8 and Yosemite.

1Password 5 for iOS and Mac are free for all our current 1Password 4 customers, which sadly doesn't include iCloud Sync for the Mac website version.

Dropbox and Wi-Fi continues to work in both 1Password 4 for Mac on Mavericks, ML and 1Password 5 for Yosemite with the 1Password 5 for iOS app.

2) Whoever has 1Password 5 for iOS installed needs now to have OS X 10.10 Yosemite and 1Password 5 for OS X installed on their Mac if they want to use iCloud syncing.

Correct, however 1Password 4 or 5 for Mac can still be used with either Wi-Fi or Dropbox on either Mavericks or Yosemite. The only exception is iCloud sync.

Not to mention, anybody who chose to upgrade to iCloud Drive on iOS 8 are also required to use both iOS 8 and Yosemite.

3) Moreover, whoever bought Password 4 or 5 for OS X directly from Agilebits (to give them more money) has now to buy it again from the Apple Store if they want to use iCloud syncing.

1Password 5 is a free update for all 1Password 4 customers, including iOS and Mac. There is no payment required to update to 1Password 5.

Any new customers who bought 1Password 5 at our web store will be within 30 days, which is why we're trying to push this information hard to give them a chance to switch back. Unfortunately, there is no way to help previous customers older than 30-days which we regret.

To emphasize your statement, yes, iCloud sync now requires a payment at the Mac App Store if anybody bought 1Password for Mac more than 30 days ago expecting to use iCloud Sync.

4) Agilebits admits that it was and is wrong to sell 1Password for OS X through their own store to people who wanted to use iCloud syncing but continues to promote 1Password for OS X for sale through their own store i. e. on MacUpdate.com without making clear that this version of 1Password for OS X cannot be used for iCloud syncing.

I'll check with our team to see if we can get MacUpdate to change the description to reflect this info. Thank you for your suggestion!

I'll also check to see if we can make this more visible at our store. We did include this info in the system requirements and on the learn more page:

5) Agilebits does not reimburse people who bought 1Password for OS X more than 30 days ago through their own store when they now buy it again through the Apple Store. In other words: Agilebits cashes in twice from customers that previously did them the favor to buy directly from them.

If there is a way, we would absolutely love to reimburse everybody. We've actually tried to reimburse folks on the first few days until we started to hit roadblocks and ran into limitations that would not be sustainable anymore. Our credit card processors and Apple does not give us any choice in this matter.

We didn't do the right thing, we know, and we're still trying to find other ways but so far, we're hitting the roadblocks and we had to make this tough decision that has a negative impact.

• rgeddeis
    rgeddeis
    Community Member

Hiding the necessity to purchase the app store version under 'System Requirements' was a real faux pas. My systems are the latest and always kept updated so why would I even considering opening this. A better approach would have had a big red banner highlighting this fact at the very top level and then, during the ordering process having a button which a notice that purchasing the version from your website would not enable to user to ever use iCloud syncing. I would think your team would have brainstormed the introduction and this anomaly to ensure your loyal customers, who have supported you from the beginning, would not get screwed.

You can tell I'm upset about this and have better use for my money than purchasing the program again from the app store. There has to be a solution.

This discussion has been closed.