Need help syncing between two Macs and an iPhone

Options
servatius
servatius
Community Member

I had been using 1Password to sync between two Macs and an iPhone using Dropbox, but now it doesn't sync. I am open to iCloud if that's any easier, but I couldn't seem to get that to work either. I also have an iPad that I'd like to work in to the mix, but we'll tackle that later after I get the iPhone syncing successfully. Specs below:

Macbook Air:
1Password 5.0.2 (502007) Agile Web Store
MacOS 10.10.1

Mac Mini:
1Password 5.0.2 (502007) Agile Web Store
MacOS 10.10.1

iPhone:
iOS 8.1.2 (12B440)
1Password Pro 5.1.2

Both my Macbook Air and iPhone "appear" to be pointed at the same file (1Password.agilekeychain in the root of my Dropbox folder). My iPhone says it's syncing, but my MacBook says it's last sync was 1/8/2015.

Not sure where to go form here.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @servatius,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with Dropbox sync! Unfortunately iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac, but I'm sure it will be fairly easy to get Dropbox sync working again.

Is Dropbox sync working between any of your devices? In other words, if you add a new item on one, does it sync to either of the others?

You may have checked some of the things I'm about to mention, but please double check to make sure. First, let's start by making sure Dropbox sync is enabled in 1Password on both Macs and on your iPhone:

On each Mac, open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, then click the Sync tab. Does that show that it's syncing with Dropbox? If not, follow these steps to set up Dropbox sync.

On your iPhone, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync. Does it show that the Sync Service is Dropbox? If not, follow these steps to set up Dropbox sync.

If Dropbox sync is already set up in 1Password on your Macs and iPhone, please also make sure all 3 are syncing with the same keychain file in Dropbox:

On each Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Click the Sync tab
    • Check the file path for the 1Password.agilekeychain file

On your iPhone:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Sync Service
    • Check the file path for the 1Password.agilekeychain file (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox)

If the problem is that one is syncing with a different keychain file than the others, you'll need to disable the sync, then set it up again and choose the correct keychain file.

Let us know how it goes and what you find, thanks!

• servatius
    servatius
    Community Member
    Options

Right now I would be thrilled to to just have my Macbook Air and iPhone syncing. All 3 devices named appear to be set up correctly, and all 3 say they are syncing. Both the Mini and iPhone list 511 total items, and my MB Air list 527 total items (which is probably the correct number since I usually add items on the MB Air). I have tried adding items on the different devices and even though they say they are syncing, they are not.

The 1Password.agilekeychain file resides at the root level of my Dropbox folder. Does it need to be inside a folder?

• servatius
    servatius
    Community Member
    Options

Update: I entered a "test Note" on the Mac Mini and it synced to my iPhone. I also added Dropbox syncing to my iPad and the "test note" showed up there as well. For whatever reason the Macbook Air is still not syncing even though it's pointed at the same file as the other devices.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @servatius‌

Thanks for getting back to us. Since you've created test notes on each of your devices, let's check in 1PasswordAnywhere to see if all the files have made it to Dropbox as they should. (This will help us to narrow down where things are getting tangled up.)

• Open a browser to the Dropbox website
    • Click on the 1Password.html file inside your 1Password.agilekeychain (Dropbox displays the 1Password.agilekeychain as a folder)
    • Enter your Master Password when prompted

Which of your test items show up here? If you add a 'test note' on your MacBook Air, does it show up here?

• servatius
    servatius
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, feeling a bit chagrined here. The test file did show up in 1PasswordAnywhere. It seems the culprit is the application Little Snitch that I run on my Macbook Air. For some reason it started blocking access to Dropbox. This never donned on my because it's worked seamlessly for several years. I am excited to learn about 1PasswordAnywhere though! Good to know I could access this info from just about anywhere if need be.

All is well and working correctly now. Might want to pass on a note to the other techs as an FYI to ask users who are having sync problems (like me), if they're running any kind of software like Little Snitch that might be blocking access to a site. Oops! Thanks for the help!

• Hi @servatius,

That's super weird, Little Snitch almost never caused a problem for either Dropbox or 1Password. I'm glad you got it figured out.

Usually what we do is ask users to create a test file in the Dropbox folder to see if it shows up on Dropbox.com or on other computers. If not, we'd suspect an interference such as firewalls, VPN, and so on.

Thanks for updating this to let us know what it was, we really appreciate it!

• kda
    kda
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having serious Dropbox sync problems, and I don't use Little Snitch.

I started a thread on my issues, but this has been going on for a while, and it isn't caused by any one program. Twice in the last six months I've had to merge databases because because 1Password on my Mac, my iPhone, and my iPad get out of sync.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@kda let's keep the posts in just one place to avoid confusion. For anyone else reading this thread I'll link here to the thread you started about your problems.

Stephen

• kda
    kda
    Community Member
    Options

I posted here for a good reason: there are many recent threads about Dropbox sync issues, and I want to highlight that it's not just one or two people.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kda,

I understand that you're feeling a bit frustrated here, and I do apologize. We're closely monitoring the forums to ensure that all issues are dealt with as quickly as possible. We'll reply to your original post with more details.

This discussion has been closed.