Blank screen when attempting to setup sync with Dropbox iOS8.1.2 iPhone 6+

timbo1
timbo1
Community Member

When I try and setup the sync with dropbox on my iPhone 6Plus, I select Sync existing vault > Sync with Dropbox > Select Account XXXXXX > Choose Vault /1Password.agilekeychain and get a screen which says Cancel and Dropbox, but is otherwise entirely blank (other than a grey background at the top of the screen). In the background it opens up Dropbox. Sometimes when I am changing application I briefly see a screen where it seems to be saying it is syncing, but the screen always disappears very quickly.

I have tried the following:

• Leaving the screen open for a few hours.
  • Pressing cancel and doing it again.
  • Restarting.
  • Hard shutdown.
  • Reinstalling 1Password (3 times).
  • Loggining in and out of dropbox.
  • Updating iOS (from 8.1.1 to 8.1.2).
  • Reinstalling 1Password again.
  • A few other things as well.

The dropbox sync still works on Windows 8.1 PC and presumably on my other devices.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @timbo1,

I'm sorry you're running into trouble with Dropbox sync! It sounds like you've synced 1Password with Dropbox before, and are now trying to sync that data to 1Password on your iPhone 6 Plus? If so, what other devices/computers are you syncing with 1Password? What version of 1Password is on the other devices/computers, and is Dropbox sync working on those?

Also, I'm not sure I understand what you're seeing on your iPhone when trying to set up Dropbox sync (i.e. the blank screen with Cancel and Dropbox options). If possible, can you please take a screenshot of that? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks!

• timbo1
    timbo1
    Community Member

Hi Drew,

Thanks for replying so promptly.

I am regularly using 1Password Version 1.0.9.342 with a license installed on two PCs (Windows 8.1 with all software installs up-to-date).

I do have 1Password installed on quite a few other devices (iPads 1 and 2, various versions of iPods, Samsung S4, perhaps a Mac). But, I never use 1Password on these devices, as it is a bit too painful except in the direst of situations, but the new finger print on the iPhone 6 should overcome that. :) I cannot readily check the versions on all of these as some of the devices are not with me (phone at a repair shop, iPad with kids, etc.). Hopefully because they are not in use means that they are not a problem. But, most do have dropbox installed on them so presumably things are syncing.

This is what I see:

Tim

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @timbo1,

Thanks for the screenshot & additional details! If I understand your initial message, you've already tried restarting your iPhone, and deleting/reinstalling 1Password on your iPhone. But if I misunderstood and you haven't done so yet, definitely try those things first.

A couple things I wanted to clarify:

I never use 1Password on these devices, as it is a bit too painful except in the direst of situations, but the new finger print on the iPhone 6 should overcome that.

I'm not sure if I understand, do you mean your master password is too complex, making it difficult to unlock 1Password on your other devices? If you're able to check 1Password on a Mac or other iOS device to see if it syncs correctly with Dropbox, that might help us narrow down the cause of the problem.

Hopefully because they are not in use means that they are not a problem. But, most do have dropbox installed on them so presumably things are syncing.

Actually, the sync doesn't occur in 1Password until the app is opened. That means the 1Password data stored locally on each of those devices is exactly the same as the last time you used 1Password on each one. If you want to make sure 1Password is up to date on those devices, you'll need to open the 1Password app on them and allow the sync to complete.

Now, getting back to your iPhone 6 Plus, assuming you've already restarted it and deleted/reinstalled the 1Password 5 app, here are some other things to try:

• On a computer, try using the 1PasswordAnywhere feature from dropbox.com in a web browser. Are you able to view your data in 1PasswordAnywhere, or does it give an error?
    • It sounds like the Dropbox app is already installed on your iPhone, but if not, please install Dropbox from the App Store and log into that app. Then try again to setup Dropbox sync in 1Password.
    • If you're currently on a Wi-Fi connection, try turning off Wi-Fi and see if Dropbox sync works over cellular data (or if currently using cellular data, try using Wi-Fi).
    • You can also try setting up 1Password as a "new user" on the iPhone, choosing the exact same master password that you use on Windows. Once you've gone through the setup, go to Settings > Sync and see if you're able to enable Dropbox.

If it's still a problem at this point, do you have all your latest 1Password data on Windows? Also, if you're able to check 1Password on your Mac or other iOS devices, does the sync work?

• klaario
    klaario
    Community Member

Hello Drew / AgileBits team:

I'm experiencing this same issue, but on my iPad Air instead.

I have followed your instructions shown elsewhere here on the AgileBits forum regarding disabling and re-enabling Dropbox sync on all six devices that are running 1Password (two Macs running OS X 10.10.1, two iPhone 6 Plus units running iOS 8.1, and two iPad Air units running iOS 8.1.) All other devices are successfully syncing the 1Password data via Dropbox except for the initial culprit iPad Air. I've uninstalled 1Password on it, power-cycled the device, reinstalled 1Password, power-cycled the iPad Air, then attempted to configure 1Password to sync via Dropbox. I still get the same blank screen that the original poster is also getting.

On the Macs, I'm running 1Password 5 Version 5.1.BETA-34 (510034) Agile Beta.

On the iOS devices, I'm running the Pro version of 1Password build 5.1.2.

What other suggestions can you offer to resolve this issue?

Carl

• timbo1
    timbo1
    Community Member

Hi Drew,

On a computer, try using the 1PasswordAnywhere feature from dropbox.com in a web browser. Are you able to view your data in 1PasswordAnywhere, or does it give an error?

1PasswordAnywhere does not seem to be setup for me. There is no 1Password.html document in dropbox for me to click on.

But, in doing this I noticed something that I suspect my pertinent. The files are in a dropbox Business rather than personal account. My very hazy recollection is that last time I used 1password on an iPhone, the account was perhaps a personal Pro account, which I have since upgraded to business account. Whatever is the truth of the history, I certainly cannot login to dropbox personal anymore.

I'm not sure if I understand, do you mean your master password is too complex, making it difficult to unlock 1Password on your other devices?

That was half the problem; I have a lot of long and 1password generated passwords. The other half was having to enter the password every time that I change application, so doing something that would take 5 seconds on a PC would end up taking 10 minutes and require me to write down things on slips of paper. I am pretty confident that the fingerprint will solve this issue and excited at the prospect of getting this all working, as it will make 1password even better for me.

If you're able to check 1Password on a Mac or other iOS device to see if it syncs correctly with Dropbox, that might help us narrow down the cause of the problem.

This also did not work, but there was a different problem. In my iPod, when I go into 1Password, it just wants me to setup from scratch and does not give an option for hooking up to dropbox. This ipod is new, and I had never used either 1Password or Dropbox on it, but they are automatically installed because this ipod was installed from a backup. I am telling you this FYI. I have no interest in using 1Password on this device.

I have not done the rest of the things you suggested, as it looked like the dropbox account type was the likely explanation. But, please tell me if you still want me to try everything else.

Tim

• At this point, before trying the other suggestions from @Drew_AG‌ you could try signing up for a free personal DropBox account, and see if you can sync with that. Of course, you will need to adjust the sync on your other devices to do this. Before doing this, please save a backup on your desktop first, just in case.

• timbo1
    timbo1
    Community Member

I have setup a personal dropbox account and copied the keychain across, and:
    1. I have exactly the same problem as with the other account.
    2. The new account also does not have the 1password anywhere file.

• Hi @timbo1,

Just to confirm, do you have the Dropbox app installed on your iPhone?

• timbo1
    timbo1
    Community Member

Yes. And I have turned the phone on as well.

• MikeT
    edited January 2015

Hi @timbo1,

Let's try something else because I'm not liking the missing 1Password.html issue, I'm wondering if that's causing the issue. Please try the following:

1. Open 1Password on your PC, unlock and go to the File Menu > Repair 1Password data
    2. After the repair is done, wait for Dropbox to finish its sync, and then try to see if 1PasswordAnywhere shows up now on Dropbox.com
  • timbo1
    timbo1
    Community Member

:D Nice work MikeT. Fixed!!!

• brunog
    brunog
    Community Member

Hi guys,

I'm having a similar problem. I have both Mac and iOS versions of 1password, and recently i found out about the "1passwordanywhere" feature. So I wanted to test it.

I have all the information synced via Dropbox, and on my agilekeychain folder I can see the "1password.html" file, but when i open it, all i see is a blank screen.

I wanted to try the solution given by MikeT, but i can't seem to find any "Repair 1Password data" on the mac version.

Could you please help me solve this?

Thanks it advance!

• Hi @brunog‌

On Mac you can (after making a backup) disable sync and select the option to delete the data from Dropbox. Then re-enable Dropbox sync. You may need to re-setup syncing on each of your devices.

Thanks!

• brunog
    brunog
    Community Member

Thanks a lot @bwoodruff‌. Now it's working!

• Perfect. Thanks for the update!

This discussion has been closed.