1Password not even listed under 'Use Cellular Data'

Options
TechAddict
TechAddict
Community Member

So, the latest hurdle I encounter in what is becoming an increasing PITA to manage 1Password iCloud sync is the fact that on one of my iPhones, 1Password is not even listed under 'Use Cellular Data'.

I first noticed it when regardless of what I did I couldn't get the vault to sync across Mac and iPhone. I have all the latest versions of everything (can't be asked to look up all the numbers!!!) inc Yosemite plus iCloud Drive. First I entered a 'card' on the offending iPhone and couldn't sync it until I went to wifi. Now I find that amendments on that card are not picked up by the offending phone. So, assuming it's working (both devices even tell me they were last synced seconds ago - clearly NOT!!! as both cards are different!!), I look and find the iPhone has NOT picked up Mac amendments.

Now, on an iPhone 5S 1Password is listed under use cellular and is switched off (given currently I use that phone on wifi only). Digging around to find where the latest problem is coming from and on the iPhone 6 1Password is not even listed under Use Cellular which is a PITA given that mostly it is only used on Cellular.

So can you give me a clue? What hoops do I need to jump through now? Delete and re-install?? For premium price software there are sure some premium bugs appearing!!!!

Not impressed.

Comments

• Hi @TechAddict,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the iCloud sync. We'd love to help you resolve this.

The Cellular Data option is automatically handled by iOS, it is supposed to add that option to every app you have installed, we don't have control over this. It does this on cellular models only, so if you have an iPhone and no valid cellular account, the option won't show up. In addition, it shouldn't have any impact on how 1Password sync your data. We haven't seen this causing a sync issue with 1Password in the past.

To try to understand what's going on, I'd like to make sure we're on the same page here by summarizing what the issue is:

You have two iPhones (5S and 6) and one Mac:

1. You've created an item in 1Password on iPhone 6 but it does not sync to your Mac unless you switched to the Wi-Fi sync
    2. You made some changes to that item from the Mac app but it didn't sync to iPhone 6. Can you tell me if that was with iCloud or Wi-Fi?
    3. iPhone 5S with the cellular option disabled is syncing with your Mac properly in both direction, right?

Is there a device or Mac in your setup that has all of your data at once? What we'd like to try to start afresh from this device with the complete database, reset the rest of 1Password apps and then use the original device to push the data to other devices one at a time.

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

My only problem is that under Use Cellular Data on the iPhone 6 1Password is not listed. If it's not listed presumably it cannot use Cellular Data to sync. Or we don't know if it is or not?? So, presumably I would have to delete and re-install to see if IOS again correctly installs the option to 'Use Cellular Data' (given that I've tried everything else turning off/on plus phone reboots to get the 'option' to appear with to no avail).

The data I'm not worried about. The Mac has it all and I have run through the instructions about having two sets of iCloud data (which I also had). The trouble is trying to get the iPhone 6 to sync again (first time) using Cellular (of course I have cellular enabled on the phone - why would I post if it had no cellular contract!!) and I guess this is why the sync was not picking up Mac book edits when I tried to sync before going through the 'two sets of iCloud data' routine.

Once I synced on wifi it all came to the iPhone correctly. Trying to sync with ONLY cellular turned on brings an error message of:

"The operation could not be completed. (CKErrorDomain error 4.) - 1Password encountered a problem".

The iPhone 5S is only using wifi and again the sync is OK. I'm not sure if that will sync correctly until I'm in the country where it's cellular contract is valid for. But as on the iPhone 5S 1Password IS listed under 'Use Cellular Data' I am guessing there will be no problems.

So in a nutshell. iPhone 6 on wifi can set up iCloud sync on wifi. On cellular cannot. And if it cannot set up on cellular one might guess it cannot sync also.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

My only problem is that under Use Cellular Data on the iPhone 6 1Password is not listed.

I may be barking up completely the wrong tree here but I think you won't see an app on that list until you've actually used it on cellular data. Does that help at all?

Stephen

• Hi @TechAddict,

Thanks for the detailed information, that helps a lot. As I read your setup, it reminded me of a bug we filed with Apple a month ago. Basically, CloudKit (Apple's sync service that we're using to power the iCloud sync in 1Password), does not work properly on some devices that were upgraded to iOS 8. On these devices, toggling the cellular option globally and rebooting it often fixes this.

Can you tell me if you've tried this before on your iPhone 6 and if not, please try it as it might help:

1. Open the iOS settings app, go to Cellular and disable the Cellular Data option on top
    2. Reboot your device
    3. Go back to Settings > Cellular and turn Cellular Data back on, see if you can get 1Password to sync now.
  • TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member
    Options

I've just deleted the app and re-installed on the phone, downloading direct from the App Store. On the install I still am not getting 1Password listed under 'Use Cellular Data'. Every other app that would use cellular is listed fine. Deleting and re-installing them deletes them under 'Use Cellular' and then correctly lists the apps again once installed. Just one password isn't. Makes me wonder if I deleted the app on the 5S whether I'd actually get the 'Use Cellular' option listed once I re-installed it. The 5S had an older install of 1Password 5 which has just had regular updates. As that phone (I hope) IS working under Cellular I'm loathe to delete it and break something that is currently working.

I can't see how not having the option to allow 1Password to "Use Cellular Data' would not have an impact on syncing IF the phone is only syncing on cellular and not over wifi (to iCloud).

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There is a recent thread about this here in the Apple support forums—although, I'm afraid, with no easy solution.

Stephen

• Hi @TechAddict,

Did you see my previous message in post #5? Can you please try that instruction if you haven't done so. You might be affected by an iOS bug that is usually resolved by turning off Cellular Data completely, rebooting and then turning it back on.

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

Hmmm. The plot thickens :( Yah Mike I saw the post. Tried toggle off and re-boot but no joy. However.....

OK. So I did the initial sync to iCloud using wifi. After that I created a 'Test' item on the Mac. I then opened the new install and hit 'Sync Now' while on Cellular. That SEEMED to trigger the re-appearance of 'Use Cellular Data' BUT the sync on Cellular did not pick up the added 'Test' card, despite saying synced x seconds ago. Switching to wifi and syncing over iCloud and it immediately picks it up.

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member
    Options

OK. So. This time I deleted one of the test cards on the Mac.

Then I disabled Cellular. Re-booted the phone. Opened 1Password with wifi turned off and synced. Seemed to sync as it showed last synced 'x' seconds ago. Checking under 'Use Cellular' showed no increase in the data consumed by 1Password since the last sync (e.g. data consumed remains static at 120 kb regardless of how many times sync is hit) so it seems that there is SOME kind of problem with Cellular data sync on IOS 8.1.2. As soon as wifi is enabled then bang, straight away, the deletion is picked up.

• Hi @TechAddict,

I then opened the new install and hit 'Sync Now' while on Cellular. That SEEMED to trigger the re-appearance of 'Use Cellular Data'

That basically confirms what Stephen_C said about the option only showing up after the app does something while on Cellular.

Does it at least let you try toggling it off and on? That sometime helps as well.

BUT the sync on Cellular did not pick up the added 'Test' card, despite saying synced x seconds ago. Switching to wifi and syncing over iCloud and it immediately picks it up.

Yea, it sounds like you're affected by this rare iOS bug unfortunately. Basically, we're getting the wrong information back from CloudKit about how it is sync'ed. That means even though it says it was sync'ed, it really wasn't. This should affect any apps using CloudKit, not just 1Password. This was confirmed by Apple but we haven't heard any news on when this will be resolved.

There isn't a way we can fix this on our side, it has to be resolved by Apple as we believe there's some corrupted preference files stored in the device but we haven't heard back from Apple. Unfortunately, even restoring from a backup won't help either because the affected files would be restored as well. It would have to be a clean install to see if you can work around the bug. That means even a complete reinstall of 1Password doesn't fix this.

One more idea is trying to reset the network settings if you want to try that. Here's how from Apple: **Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. **

Note: This will reset all network settings including:

1. Previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
    2. Recently used Bluetooth accessories
    3. VPN and APN settings
  • TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Well thanks for trying to sort it. Setting up the phone as new is an option but, even with almost all or my data in the Cloud, it's still a bit of a hassle to re-install all the apps, esp social media, and go through all the enabling routines so I'll see if Apple can fix it.

I tried the 'Reset Network Settings'. No joy I'm afraid.

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member
    Options

Apple - just works eh? Less and less as the years go by. It's becoming almost the same as the Windows / Android experience :D

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member
    Options

Just by way of exploring ALL the options (or at least as many as can be thought of) I have also tried:

Toggling Cellular data on/off. Both with and without re-booting the phone. No joy

Toggling the individual 1Password 'switch' on/off both without and with iPhone reboots in between opening 1PW. Again, no joy :(

At one stage the data count went up from 120kb to 147kb but no data changes (deletions) reflected in the iPhone, unless wifi turned on.

• Ben
    Options

Unfortunately until Apple resolves this bug it seems likely that the only way to work around this would be to completely restore the phone.

• Hi @TechAddict,

Yep, I'm sorry that you're having so much issues with this. We wish we could own iOS and fix it in the code, so 1Password works perfectly on it.

Even with almost all or my data in the Cloud, it's still a bit of a hassle to re-install all the apps, esp social media, and go through all the enabling routines so I'll see if Apple can fix it.

I totally understand, especially when restoring your backup from iTunes doesn't even restore the apps itself anymore, you'd have to wait for iOS to download everything.

If you do this in the future, one tip is to encrypt your iTunes backups, as that is supposed to retain the app files. This way will restore the apps onto the device instead of downloading them.

At one stage the data count went up from 120kb to 147kb but no data changes (deletions) reflected in the iPhone, unless wifi turned on.

Can you explain exactly what happened before that went up?

A few other last resort type of things is:

1. Log out of iCloud on all devices, and re-log in, see if it'd do anything. Unfortunately, that also means all of the iCloud related data has to be re-downloaded and if you have a lot of apps, this might not be worth it.
    2. Switch to using Wi-Fi sync or Dropbox instead. This at least gives you the benefit of waiting for Apple to fix this (or us, if Apple fixes it and tell us how to work around this).
This discussion has been closed.