Increasing number of sites not able to have passwofd filled in

Options
camner
camner
Community Member

Under 1P 5.x I'm running into an increasing number of sites with a username/password combo on the same page (i.e., not a 2-step/2-page process) where 1P fills in the username correctly, and I can see that it is filling in the password field (I can't tell about the accuracy, since all I can see are dots), and then within about a second, the password field goes blank again. There is no response from the site that suggests that the credentials are incorrect...all that happens is that the password field gets filled in and immediately afterwards get blanked out again.

I have tried creating a new login manually when I run into this and in a few cases, that works fine and fixes things. But in the majority of cases, it doesn't.

If I change things so that auto-submit is off for that particular site, 1P correctly fills in the password (which I know because without the auto login I can just manually submit and the login goes perfectly).

Any ideas about what is responsible for this?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure it would help those who could help if you could provide an example or two of URLs where this is a problem.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camner‌ Are you running the MAS or Web Store version?

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies for being slow to respond. I've been sick (still am, but that's another story).

I'm running the WebStore version (by the way, what's the easiest way to know? What I did was go to the MAS app on my Mac and clicked on Purchases and then searched to see if 1Password was in the list...it wasn't).

An example of a web page with the phenomenon is: https://www.junxureclientview.com/Pages/Login.aspx

If I manually navigate to the site, 1P fills in and submits the login correctly. If I use 1P to "go and fill in," it fills in the fields then the password field blanks itself out and nothing is submitted. I'll try to find some more examples.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You can tell which version you are running by going to the About 1Password option in the 1Password menu. It will display the version there.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Well, that was stupid (on my part)! Yup, I have the Agile Web Store version.

As an aside, when I get an email from the forum telling me that there is reply, clicking on the enclosed link takes me to the forum post. If I want to reply, I have to login. If I click on the "login to post reply" button I get the logon page, but after logging in, I'm not taken back to the forum page but to the forum home page, requiring me to go back to the email and click on the link again. Is this expected behavior? Most forums seem to take one back to page one was on after logging in.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @camner‌

In regards to our forums, I've just test two browsers on my machine and the same thing happens. I'm not sure we should call it expected behaviour but I'd say it isn't your setup at fault. I'll ask around and see if maybe it's a configurational issue on our end.

I tried your example site in the following ways:

• With web page already loaded in browser and selecting the Login item from within 1Password mini.
    • Without the web page already loaded and selecting the Login item from within 1Password mini.
    • Using the open and fill option from within the main 1Password window.

While I don't have an account there it seemed to be submitting a password and username no matter which way I attempt.

Can you try something please and report back with that result and some information on versions.

Can you see if creating a new Login item using the Saving a Login Manually guide makes any difference.

Along with the results of that, could you also let us know:

• What version of 1Password you are running e.g. 5.0.2
    • What browser and version of browser you are running e.g. Safari 8.0.2
    • What version of the the 1Password extension you are running e.g. 4.2.5

Maybe there is a clue in there as to why something isn't working.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

(My apologies...I composed this reply the day of the previous post and then must have forgotten to click "Post Comment." I am still working to find a pattern that might explain what currently seems rather idiosyncratic.)

For me, on the example site I gave earlier, 1P behaves as expected if the web page is already loaded in the browser and I select the Login item from within 1P mini (that is, the username/password is filled in and submitted). If the the web page is NOT loaded already, 1P does NOT correctly submit the login info. Same with using the main 1Password window. What happens, as I've described above, is that 1P fills in the username and password, then the password field gets blanked out, and there is no "submit." The only workaround is to disable "auto submit" (set it to "Never") and click "submit" myself.

1. I have created a new login several times for this site (and others with which I have encountered difficulties) using the instructions contained in the link. I have been doing this ever since version 5 came out because I have found that version 5 broke functionality with a not insignificant minority of my pre-version 5 logins. In some cases, creating a new login has fixed things. In other cases (such as the example site), the newly created login does not work.

2. I am running the Agile Web Store version of 1Password 5.0.2. I am running Yosemite 10.10.1, Safari 8.0.2, Chrome Version 39.0.2171.95 (64-bit), and Firefox 35.0. The particular browser I am using doesn't matter. If 1P won't handle a given site under one of the browsers, it will mishandle the same site under the other browsers. I am running 1P browser extensions 4.2.5 in all browsers.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @camner,

I'm sorry this has been a problem for you with certain sites! I checked with one of our developers to confirm this does appear to be a 1Password bug. I've filed a bug report to have this looked into further. In the meantime, it sounds like you can either disable auto-submit for those Login items, or load the site first before filling.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! Hopefully we'll be able to take care of this soon. If you have more questions about it, please let us know. :)

ref: OPX-777

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for looking into it!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for reporting it and helping to make 1Password better :smile:

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

OK, so I've done a little poking around and investigating further, and I've come up with some interesting (to me, anyway) tidbits. When trying to login to my Starbucks Card account, not only will auto submit not work, but on this particular site, neither will my old method of disabling auto submit while permitting 1P to fill in the username and password and then manually submitting. In fact, even going to the login page, and manually searching for the login within 1P mini, rolling over to select "edit" and hitting "copy" to copy the username (or password) and then manually pasting it into the web page form does not work! (Very odd...first time that has happened.) The only way I can get the info to "take" is to manually type in both the username and password.

Don't know if this is helpful.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The Starbucks site is a known problem for 1P.

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.