Feature request: unique email addresses

Lance Lawton
Lance Lawton
Community Member

I refer to this recent blog post. If this guy's right, then what would be the chances of 1PW now adding a major new feature to generate unique email addresses that could function as login IDs? It would presumably involve some kind of cloud server that could forward to a real address. A mega job I'm sure. But could it be done?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I think that having AgileBits operate something like this would be a very bad idea.

That said, you can already do this using your own personal domain. This is something I already do, although I use a fairly predictable scheme as I use it for tracking data sellers rather than hack resistance.

It would be quite neat to have an option on the password generator to generate a unique username/password pair based on a specified domain. The search function already searches emails so using random unique usernames should still allow the tracking of data sellers without too much difficulty.

The only downside I can see is that right now, if I need access to a service and don't have access to 1Password then I can usually guess the email I used and do a password reset (I have my main email login memorised so I don't need 1P to access it). Random emails would make me totally reliant on 1Password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

There used to be a way to have Identity filling insert the current site's domain when filling an email address. Unfortunately, this is something that fell by the wayside when we rewrote the 1Password form filling. In doing so, we discovered some issues with this feature and that we need to rethink it before we can bring it back. It is something that is on our radar though. I'll add your votes! :)

• jtrott
    jtrott
    Community Member

Add my vote for this feature to come back!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jtrott,

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're interested in something like this. :)

This discussion has been closed.